Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,671
My towns Fire Dept is hosting dinner tomorrow for Fire Chiefs and EMT Chiefs from all over the county. Cochise County is as big as Rhode Island and Connecticut combined. We will have 60-70 at the firehouse for a meeting and dinner later. Ms G and I will serve and help cleanup afterwords. No turkey or sausage stuffing for us two vegheads, but we will indulge in mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie or anything else that doesn't have a face.
__________________

__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
RitaR551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 137
We started a new "tradition" on DH side of the family and eat out. There's usually 20-25 of us. I enjoy it so much more this way. With everyone wo*king, it puts a lot less stress on whoever hosts. We then go to someone's house and visit or play games.
__________________

__________________
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
RitaR551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz
We will be doing Thanksgiving in the RV. Just me and the DW.. We did this last year and it was great ! Made all the extras the day before and cooked the turkey in the convection oven. Last year was in South Carolina this year Florida. Lots of fun.
Oh how I wish DH and I were doing the same. Sounds wonderful!
__________________
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaR551 View Post
We started a new "tradition" on DH side of the family and eat out. There's usually 20-25 of us. I enjoy it so much more this way. With everyone wo*king, it puts a lot less stress on whoever hosts. We then go to someone's house and visit or play games.
We've done the same thing for several years now. We go to a nice hotel in the area that puts on an excellent Thanksgiving. My brother's in-laws are Vietnamese and many of them join us. It works out great because there's something for everyone to enjoy. Plus the place we go is very festive - all decked out for the holidays, live music, ice sculptures, the works.

And no, we really don't miss the leftovers!
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
RitaR551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron

We've done the same thing for several years now. We go to a nice hotel in the area that puts on an excellent Thanksgiving. My brother's in-laws are Vietnamese and many of them join us. It works out great because there's something for everyone to enjoy. Plus the place we go is very festive - all decked out for the holidays, live music, ice sculptures, the works.

And no, we really don't miss the leftovers!
+1
__________________
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Does anyone else shamelessly take advantage of the turkey promotions the supermarkets run now? I am up to 4 birds in the freezer and counting.
I just picked up a 25 pounder this morning that will be on our dinner table next Thursday for us and the other 30-35 guests. $0.47 per pound for the turkey with $35 additional purchase. So I also bought 4 pounds of brat patties, 3 lbs ground beef, 3 lbs ham, 3 pounds polish sausage, and some beer to make up the $35 additional purchase.

Oh yeah, and a few cups of light yogurt. Didn't want the purchase to appear totally unhealthy...

I probably won't pick up any more turkeys, since I don't particularly like turkey that much. Usually 1x a year (or rather, 1x fresh, then 10x+ leftovers) is enough.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
timeasterday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 211
I haven't had a real family Thanksgiving dinner in 5 or 6 years. My wife & I don't have any family around here so we usually end up at our favorite Japanese buffet for dinner. I miss all the traditional fixin's sometimes but all-you-can-eat sushi is fine with me.
__________________
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,538
I finally sprung for it and ordered that Costco duck package from d'Artagnan. I decided duck would do nicely for Thanksgiving!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I finally sprung for it and ordered that Costco duck package...
Out of curiosity, how large a package does a duck have?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Out of curiosity, how large a package does a duck have?
Small, very small. But the Costco package is large.....
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #51
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Out of curiosity, how large a package does a duck have?
Don't be jealous. Size doesn't matter.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Don't be jealous. Size doesn't matter.
Have you been told that often?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #53
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you been told that often?
Hey - I'm not the one asking ...
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.
martyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 963
We've done Thanksgiving at our house for the last 30+ yrs. Usually just 5-8 people (we have a small house). Pretty traditional menu: oven roasted heritage turkey, mashed potatoes, a vegetable dish, salad. Everyone expects this menu so I can't really change the basics but I try do variations on this theme.
__________________
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 357
Well if you have alot of time on your hands, make a turducken
Chef Paul's Recipes - Chef Paul Prudhomme

I've made this a couple of times, it is soooooo good, but takes me 3 days to get it all together and about 10 days to eat it all.
We are now over in Australia, so no Thanksgiving for us. Can't even find pumpkin pie mix, but I have lots of other things to be thankful for!
__________________
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Out of curiosity, how large a package does a duck have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Small, very small...
I looked up Costco's description of the duck package. Nice, very nice... Large, very large...

Here's the excerpt from Costco so the reader can see for him/herself.
Magret duck breasts are plump, juicy and meaty and often referred to as a “Duck Steak”. Magret duck breasts are also twice as big as a regular duck breast.
Price: $130 for 6 duck breasts and 6 duck leg confit. A lot less than what one would pay in a restaurant. It's too bad my wife is not crazy about duck as I do. I also got my fix recently in a restaurant, so my craving has subsided for now. Still, when one thinks of the description above...
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #57
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
We are now over in Australia, so no Thanksgiving for us. Can't even find pumpkin pie mix, but I have lots of other things to be thankful for!
If you can get pumpkin, then here is an easy way to make pumpkin pie with no mix. Hope this helps!

Perfect Pumpkin Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Well if you have alot of time on your hands, make a turducken
Chef Paul's Recipes - Chef Paul Prudhomme

I've made this a couple of times, it is soooooo good, but takes me 3 days to get it all together and about 10 days to eat it all.
We are now over in Australia, so no Thanksgiving for us. Can't even find pumpkin pie mix, but I have lots of other things to be thankful for!
Just a seasonal question....

I Googled "pumpkin and Australia" and found this site

Gardening Australia - Growing pumpkins

"In frost-free tropical and subtropical gardens, pumpkins can be grown all year round. In temperate Australia plant or sow outside after the last frost."

If the last frost was in, say, September, the prime season for harvesting pumpkins in temperate Australia might be, say, December. Are pumpkins commonly found on the supermarket shelves in Oz? When are they in season? How popular are they?

I grew up in Ireland and the only thing I knew about pumpkins as a child was that Cinderella's carriage was made out of one.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I looked up Costco's description of the duck package. Nice, very nice... Large, very large...

Here's the excerpt from Costco so the reader can see for him/herself.
Magret duck breasts are plump, juicy and meaty and often referred to as a “Duck Steak”. Magret duck breasts are also twice as big as a regular duck breast.
Price: $130 for 6 duck breasts and 6 duck leg confit. A lot less than what one would pay in a restaurant. It's too bad my wife is not crazy about duck as I do. I also got my fix recently in a restaurant, so my craving has subsided for now. Still, when one thinks of the description above...
At those prices, I should learn how to hunt ducks.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Just a seasonal question....

I Googled "pumpkin and Australia" and found this site

Gardening Australia - Growing pumpkins

"In frost-free tropical and subtropical gardens, pumpkins can be grown all year round. In temperate Australia plant or sow outside after the last frost."

If the last frost was in, say, September, the prime season for harvesting pumpkins in temperate Australia might be, say, December. Are pumpkins commonly found on the supermarket shelves in Oz? When are they in season? How popular are they?

I grew up in Ireland and the only thing I knew about pumpkins as a child was that Cinderella's carriage was made out of one.
Then you should hear the obligatory pumpkin joke:

What do West Virginians do on Halloween?

Pump Kin.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.