Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been trying to get employment in Oman. It is supposed to be the best of the Middle East as far as the people go. (Anybody have any suggestions?)

Oman was pretty hard hit by the last hurricane (cyclone) a few years back. Much flooding.

Ed

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

ED, what's your line of work, I may be able to point you in the right direction. Are you looking into Muscat or Salalah?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post

Here is what I want to explore: Is it healthy to have escapist fantasies even if monetarily 90% of the board could turn the fantasy into reality?
But of course.

Perhaps a foot note: It is my fantasy, no need to burst my bubble.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

billman,

I sent you a PM. [correction: PMs.]

Thanks.

Ed
Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #185

This crash has cemented me of moving out of California. Maybe not to another country but to another state.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #186
Give me a forum ...

billman,

I am a senior chemical engineer / process engineer. Muscat is fine. Salalah is fine. Anyplace they ain't shooting at Americans is fine with me.

You can send me a Private Message. To PM me, double-click on my name above my avatar and follow the instructions.

Ed
Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman View Post
Doug,

You dropped a tuff one on us. Well it might be hard to find your paradise, but I have some ideas, assuming you have no other passports then an American..

1. Australia (Investor Retirement (Subclass 405))

2. New Zealand (Investing in New Zealand)

3. U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico?

4. Oman (residency visa with purchase of a property) Democracy, no way, but excellent infrastructure, amazing beaches, and excellent people.

Billman
Wow, it doesn't look that easy to retire to New Zealand. Even with the weakness of the NZ dollar, you have to be a multimillionaire (in American dollars), and, if you are over age 54, a multi multi millionaire. And there is a quota system on top of all that.

New Zealand is fascinating, but if I go it will only be to visit . . . .
Old 03-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

There is of course another way to move to New Zealand. If you are a skilled migrant. Skilled Migrant Category

That's the way most people do it and of course gives you residency and a passport in 5 years.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman View Post
Doug,

You dropped a tuff one on us. Well it might be hard to find your paradise, but I have some ideas, assuming you have no other passports then an American..

1. Australia (Investor Retirement (Subclass 405))

2. New Zealand (Investing in New Zealand)

3. U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico?

4. Oman (residency visa with purchase of a property) Democracy, no way, but excellent infrastructure, amazing beaches, and excellent people.

Billman
I can talk a little bit about Puerto Rico. It has everything to offer that the US has (dollar, no passport needed, modern democracy, WalMart, etc) but in a gorgeous tropical location. The problem is, in order to live the typical "gringo" lifestyle to which most of us are accustomed, it's as or more expensive than stateside.

It's possible to live a "local" lifestyle, but it's not that much cheaper, and I wouldn't recommend it to the average person. Not unless one was fluent in spanish, could put up with massive govt bureaucracy, could handle random electric and water outages, etc.

We have a snowbird condo overlooking the ocean, and really enjoy the winters here, but even for us I don't think we could do it year round.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #190
Confused about dryer sheets

I would LOVE to retire to another country! Who's paying?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright View Post
I would LOVE to retire to another country! Who's paying?
No, see you pay and then you come back here to tell us how it is.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
No, see you pay and then you come back here to tell us how it is.
I was just watching a Samantha Brown report on Buenos Aires. Cab rides are $3 and a fully custom leather jacket made in 4 hours is $165. There also are daily free showings of Evita. OK, just kidding because that last one would be a reason to not live in a place.

The thing with living in another country is that you have to fit in, make friends, and find interesting activities to occupy your day. Otherwise, the place becomes a trap that you can't afford to leave. It's probably something to try out between the next job layover before making the full time commitment.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #193
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was thinking of moving from Canada and retiring in Florida but as i've aged my tolerance for heat/humidity has waned,the last 2 trips to the St Pete area have been like living in a sauna for the entire stay and i find the return to the cooler climate of the north much more tolerable.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The Pacific coast is much cooler than the Caribbean. We are at latitude 20 degrees north and experience low humidity and cooling ocean breezes.

Temperatures run from 22 C overnight to 32 C daytime highs.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #195
Dryer sheet wannabe

overseas retirement

Been a good ramble about some other countrys to try out,i'm trying to learn as much as i can have never traveled much and have always wanted to i'm 27 years in auto sector an can go with 28 so days are numbered,would really like to see the ruins in cambodia,thinking if i go native to alot of these places i'll save enough to be able to continue travels,maybe 3 to 6 month stretchs at a time,most of my money is in house that i not going to sell an in pension that i going to spend so no luxury condos with maids for me lol but a cup of rice an piece of fish a day an i'm good to go um maybe a beer to
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

That lifestyle will take you far, tutashen. You could also teach english here and there - I've heard native speakers ar ein high demand in SE Asia nowadays. I'd stay somewhere between your lifestyle and the luxury condo, which I think is very affordable for the RE's SWR I have seen here. Thailand and Malaysia at least. Singapore is way too expensive.