Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

neihn,

welcome to the Dreaming to ER World, i joined this forum a few years back and enjoyed tons of lesson and advice from people in this board. Currently i do not have any contact in VietNam and looking forward to connect with old friends, relatives and people over there sometime soon via email, internet...though my bil told be careful what i wish for ..

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

It's time to revive this thread. We are eyeing a future 'People's Republic of the United States', which we believe that President Obama will actually accomplish in his first 100 days. The 'looters' are firmly in control here, and will probably be in control for at least eight years. My DW and I see the country becoming a no growth, stag-flation, confiscatory tax environment.

So, where could we go, and perhaps emigrate? Our criteria would be:

1. A vibrant democracy
2. Reasonable living costs
3. Solid property rights
4. Modern health care structure.
5. Good information/communications infrastructure

What's the thoughts or suggestions?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doug,

Consider Singapore. It has everything except the vibrant democracy. Why do you need a democracy, anyway? Are you planning to vote there?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #164
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Doug,

Consider Singapore. It has everything except the vibrant democracy. Why do you need a democracy, anyway? Are you planning to vote there?
LOL, excellent !!
Boss2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
It's time to revive this thread. We are eyeing a future 'People's Republic of the United States', which we believe that President Obama will actually accomplish in his first 100 days. The 'looters' are firmly in control here, and will probably be in control for at least eight years. My DW and I see the country becoming a no growth, stag-flation, confiscatory tax environment.
From what I have seen of third-world countries, the looters are in even firmer control. That's why you have the chance to stand tall over the mass of under class. As long as you don't run head first into the ruling class with their billion dollar fortunes, why, you can pretty much do as you like with your $2-$3 million stash. Yippee!
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

If I had $2-$3 million samolians, I could stay here.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I had $2-$3 million samolians, I could stay here.
Yep. Move to Tonganoxie , Kansas - put yourself on salary to your non profit foundation and rail against 'government' and others trying to hide the truth about the yellow brick road.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Doug,

Singapore fine city.
There is a fine for everything.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #169
Dryer sheet aficionado

LOL, another good one !!
Boss2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Singapore fine city.
(1) Humidity.
(2) Traffic 24/7.
(3) They import 95-98% of their food.
(4) Concrete, concrete, concrete.
Gpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

At least by now they did away with open sewers next to high rise apartments.

You don't need snow shoes, winter coat, mukluks, nose warmers, ice scrapers.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
At least by now they did away with open sewers next to high rise apartments.

You don't need snow shoes, winter coat, mukluks, nose warmers, ice scrapers.
Hmm... you might not need a nose warmer and an ice scraper, but you might need a nose scraper to pick your nose off the pavement when they lop off your nose for some unspecified offense.

Here is what I want to explore: Is it healthy to have escapist fantasies even if monetarily 90% of the board could turn the fantasy into reality?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Hmm... you might not need a nose warmer and an ice scraper, but you might need a nose scraper to pick your nose off the pavement when they lop off your nose for some unspecified offense.

Here is what I want to explore: Is it healthy to have escapist fantasies even if monetarily 90% of the board could turn the fantasy into reality?
Have you been? I happen to live here and I can vouch for the fact that it is nowhere near the police state some people will have you believe. In fact it is very pleasant. And yes, I'm a Caucasian.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medit8 View Post
Have you been? I happen to live here and I can vouch for the fact that it is nowhere near the police state some people will have you believe. In fact it is very pleasant. And yes, I'm a Caucasian.
I was joking. ls99 lives in Western PA where it's frozen 1/2 of the year.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahh. "Sense of humour failure" on my part. Seriously, it's an interesting place.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #176
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like to retired at Canada. It's comfortable to live there.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

sindy9001,

It is -23C in Cowtown, AB, as we speak. It will go down to -25 tonight. It snowed like crazy in Vancouver today. What part of Canadistan did you have in mind?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #178

Quote:
sindy9001,

It is -23C in Cowtown, AB, as we speak. It will go down to -25 tonight. It snowed like crazy in Vancouver today. What part of Canadistan did you have in mind?
I have found memories of some of the "hills" of Quebec.

Still, nobody picked up on the discussion about 3rd world retirement fantasies. Is it really that different than a move from NYC to Florida to take advantage of the lower costs and warmer weather?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #179
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am glad this thread was revived. I have really enjoyed (re-?)reading it.

Anyway, my current plans (which have changed from time to time) include retiring to a small coastal town in either Panama, Costa Rica or Mexico after burning most of my accumulated frequent flier miles touring Northern Europe (possibly with Estonia as a base), Southeast Asia, and possibly parts of South America.

I have found places in all of these countries (Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico) where I loved the climate and topography; I have always been able to find food that I enjoyed wherever I have been; and, I am somewhat of an introvert (hence the more lurking, less posting here); so, I am not too worried about being able to find close friends, etc.

For my initial retirement, I do want to stay within a fairly short flight to the US since I do still have some elderly relatives who I may need to come back to care for at some point. And, if I should decide to take up any income producing activities after my relocation, the US is likely my most fertile feeding ground.

I am still relatively young (under 40) and healthy; but, access to good health care in addition to the short flight back to the US narrowed my choices. Although, I may need to investigate Nicaragua more thoroughly.

I am taking the coward's way out with retirement planning and letting my company dictate the timing. Even with the current market downturn, I think I could swing a Third World retirement now with plenty of cushion; but, I am frankly glad that I am still accumulating rather than withdrawing. My current employer just went through their second round of layoffs this fiscal year; now, we barely have enough people to keep the lights on. So, I expect to be joining the ranks of the retired relatively soon.

Apologies for the rambling post; but, it has been cathartic on a Monday evening.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Doug,

You dropped a tuff one on us. Well it might be hard to find your paradise, but I have some ideas, assuming you have no other passports then an American..

1. Australia (Investor Retirement (Subclass 405))

2. New Zealand (Investing in New Zealand)

3. U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico?

4. Oman (residency visa with purchase of a property) Democracy, no way, but excellent infrastructure, amazing beaches, and excellent people.

Billman
billman is offline   Reply With Quote