Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do freelance personal finance and early retirement writing for a blog. It's a few hours per month and pays enough to cover a week or two of groceries for the family.

It's kind of like writing a really long ER forum post but getting paid a really high hourly rate. The main difference is I have to proofread my professional writing before submitting it. Here at the forums, I can just type whatever and hope it's comprehensible to others, warts and all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:22 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH fully retired 5 years ago. When he did, I semi-retired at 56. I continued working for my same employer 1 or 2 days a week for the first few years. The last year and a half or so I've worked very part-time, from home.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for this thread. I'm still new to this, but being FI enabled me to leave the university earlier than planned when the culture went south. As I left some clients reached out and I'm now doing independent consulting. It is not full RE, but I like it on several levels - I control the work schedule, pick the clients and enjoy adding value. Per the below great description , I left my j*b but continued to work - on my terms with no financial pressure. I'll work 3 days on site in April and 7 in May, 11 in June, 4 in July (Not counting Navy Reserve duty).

From MMM (Great News – Early Retirement Doesn’t Mean You’ll Stop Working):
I find that when people earn their freedom from money constraints, they usually don’t stop working. Instead they start doing their best work. Looking at many of society’s highest achievers right now, the world leaders and founders of the most productive companies, I see mostly people who have already made it. And yet are still working because it means something to them.
Early retirement, according to this new definition, does not mean quitting work, even while it may well mean quitting your job. It means opting out of the bullshit portion of your work. The commuting, the politics, the production of inferior products just because your boss has found a profitable niche to exploit. When used correctly, a sizeable ‘stash can help you become a more ethical person.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #24

I quit working full time at age 30. Now, at age 35, I am self employed working around 100 days per year. I don't consider myself retired or even semi-retired because i'm not FI. I guess I could be considered semi-retired. I work just enough to cover my expenses and let my investments grow. Once i'm FI i'll stop working entirely. In the mean time, it sure is nice working less than half the number of days of a typical full time worker.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #25

WE do by choice & love it. We each consult p.t.in our fields.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd planned on looking for part-time work after retiring. But after doing some volunteer work I quickly discovered I no longer wanted anything to do with any endeavor where my time wasn't entirely my own.
I do a little volunteer work in retirement, but it is entirely on my terms. I have zero desire to work (for money) for anyone in retirement, because that would be completely different. If I get tired of the volunteer work, I just inform them that I've had enough for a while, and I'm gone. Also, they appreciate the help I provide, but I don't really have to meet any performance standards (other than my own). Plus, I don't want to sign up for anything that has a regular schedule (where I have to be somewhere on a certain day/time). If I wake up in the morning and the weather is nice, I want the flexibility to go fishing (or whatever).......and not have to show up for work!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Ron Paul retired as a doctor and become a senator. Now he wants to do the president job.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Ron Paul retired as a doctor and become a senator. Now he wants to do the president job.
That would be Rand, Ron's son. He still works as an ophthalmologist, although I think that's volunteer work now. Ron is semi-ER from being a Doctor and a congressman. All he does now is run a think tank and a homeschool online curriculum. Not my idea of retired.
Who is working PT in retirement
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 AM   #29
gone traveling

Who is working PT in retirement

I plan to do some part time work or own a small business.

Upper 40s just a month into FIRE, I can already see that the industrious and naturally curious side of me will need more frequent interaction with people and a stronger sense of purpose - or at least an activity that can be tracked and measured by profits. It's not about job titles for me but I gotta "DO" something.

What ever it is, it will be fun and mostly on my terms - I have a few plans in mind - and what worries me is that they are all pretty random. No common thread or theme but all have elements of what I enjoyed during the last 25+ years of work. This is all really stupid because I am FIREd. Some keep saying why bother. I have tons of home improvement work to do also ... Why not do that first and then see where this all goes....

Few if any of these are related to career 1.0 which was managing/leading a functional area in a megacorp. But the skills learned there I assume can be applied elsewhere --

I started up my own personal financial blog site on the second day of retirement. Everyone seems to be blogging now days - I'm Still in the "getting it going" phase and thinking about the specific angles that I want to take. I would like to monetize it eventually.

I want to pursue a teaching certificate within the next 3 years to allow for a second career option -giving back to my community by way of education.

I would like to own a small business - something that can be part time and maybe create a few jobs. Thinking coin op vending business, coin op car wash, self storage, or similar. Lower overhead and ability to not be there 24x7.

I like to cook - and would like to own and run a food cart or truck - seasonal mostly. Summer months.

I like to travel in the summer and could see myself going to state fairs and other events like car shows and rally's and selling /vending - maybe food or maybe some novel As-Seen-on-TV product. At least that would cover cost of traveling . Someone on here a while ago mentioned a beef jerky business selling at beer festivals. I would be all over that !!!

I am interested in home solar technology and thought about a franchise business installing home solar panels and systems.

Some good advice given to me was to give myself 6 months to decompress, along with a pending relocation and settle the family down before diving into encore career / life 2.0 and to Look before I leap. Each of these ideas need research and a solid biz plan with financials, operations and marketing plans well defined.

I just can't sit still... Finding it is Not at all my nature. But 2.0 / encore work MUST be something I am totally passionate about or it will feel too much like work.... The thought of clocking in somewhere is low stress but may not be enough brain exercise for me.

Any advice for me ? Aside from slowing down to really assess each of these ideas ? Any recommendation for finding mentorship to getting into a small business - eg rotary club? I know no one in my new location yet and it's a relatively small town. I really respect older people's knowledge and wisdom. Maybe if they are FIREd and bored they would be willing to coach me a bit ? I dunno. Maybe it's just the concussion shock of FIRE hitting me in the head.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Next month DW and I will be retired two years now. Prior to retirement, I had my own sales company but no employees or office. Once I retired, I switched to repping for another company and kept six of my best accounts. These are long time customers who are easy to deal with, pay their bills on time and hardly ever file any claims. I probably work about 5 hours a week on average. I enjoy it since it keeps me active mentally and the extra income helps pay for our diving habit. I'll toss it aside when it becomes tedious.

Good luck in finding something that's the right fit for you.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
I plan to do some part time work or own a small business.

Any advice for me ? ........... I really respect older people's knowledge and wisdom.

From very close and older person's personal experience (me), stay away from cash/equipment businesses such as soda/food vending machines and laundromats.

Throw in car washes also as start up costs are very high.

Try to leverage off your previous work skills and experience/knowledge if you can for a part time gig or a small business.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Try to leverage off your previous work skills and experience/knowledge if you can for a part time gig or a small business.
+1 to this. Low capital intensity and time flexibility are key.

We are FI, but not yet RE ... likely sometime in '15 or certainly by Jan '16 and our plans are for DW to continue her hobby business doing public speaking, but probably with more flexibility for her as I will now be around to help out with the homefront and DD/DS needs ... its very hard for her to book gigs now when my schedule remains somewhat unpredictable, incl intl travel.

I will also pursue my trading strategies developed over the past 3-5 years more fully .. and helped/backstopped by the cash/pile in after-tax accts. I will also be open to part-time projects in my professional area (corp law)

We don't need to from a $ point of view, but we are thinking we will be able to fund taxes plus current expense out of these two steams and only dip into principal for larger items (cars, college tuition, major medical, etc) for at least the first 5-7 yrs of RE ... since we will somewhat limited by DD and DS school schedules for the next 2 yrs or so, we may as well make use of the time to make some $$ with limited time invested.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I wouldn't want a PT job unless I could do it on my terms. Just want some extra walking around money. Asked about some work at my old job and was rejected! Guess when I left as a manager I ruffled some feathers.

For now, if I could work from home - doing what I have no idea - I would consider it. Even though I'm not doing much anything in retirement - I would rather not have a set schedule. Hate the idea of HAVING to be somewhere.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #34

WE did nothing for the first 6 months to decompress except buying & renovating a house & moving. Then we started to think career. We both work from home mainly & set our own schedule when we need to see clients.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year I did about 10 days of paid consulting. This year I'll probably do about 20. That's 100% YoY growth!

I might do more in coming years if I get bored but will cross that bridge then.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #36

In the last couple of months, I've made around $700 tax free money doing a few "mystery shopping" gigs for several companies. One of my daughters does it and after she kept bugging me, I finally decided to give it a whirl. There are quite a few companies that are contracted by retailers to have independent contractors do this stuff for them, and as long as you don't earn more than $600 annually from any one company, no taxes owed. If you exceed the $600, you get a 1099. I don't mind the shopping part, the online reports are a slight hassle. I mainly tried it out of curiosity. I get job offers every day by email, and delete most of them. I only do it when I feel like it. Some of the restaurant shops are reimbursement only. Wife & I recently had steak dinners at Texas Roadhouse. The bill with tip was around $42, and i was paid $45, so essentially just a free meal for us. Since it was a reimbursement, it's not considered income so doesn't count towards a 1099. This is really just kind of a hobby, that happens to pay a little. If I get tired of playing, I'll stop. For now it's kind if fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
In the last couple of months, I've made around $700 tax free money doing a few "mystery shopping" gigs for several companies. One of my daughters does it and after she kept bugging me, I finally decided to give it a whirl. There are quite a few companies that are contracted by retailers to have independent contractors do this stuff for them, and as long as you don't earn more than $600 annually from any one company, no taxes owed. If you exceed the $600, you get a 1099. I don't mind the shopping part, the online reports are a slight hassle. I mainly tried it out of curiosity. I get job offers every day by email, and delete most of them. I only do it when I feel like it. Some of the restaurant shops are reimbursement only. Wife & I recently had steak dinners at Texas Roadhouse. The bill with tip was around $42, and i was paid $45, so essentially just a free meal for us. Since it was a reimbursement, it's not considered income so doesn't count towards a 1099. This is really just kind of a hobby, that happens to pay a little. If I get tired of playing, I'll stop. For now it's kind if fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I've been working part time since I first retired 15 years ago, but fortunately it has been largely on my terms. Only work Jan-April, I call my own hours but I'm mindful that I need to be a contributor at work, and they are aware that I really don't need to be there so it's kept on a win-win basis. No BS, I can leave in the middle of the day to take one of the boys to soccer practice if I wish. But I also put in 50+ hour weeks when it's crunch time. Do income taxes.

Which is why the above quote, ALL income is required to be reported on your income tax returns, whether you receive a 1099 or other documentation. The company is required to report payments to the IRS if over $600 in a year (file a 1099MISC) but you are required to report everything.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired yet (Feb 2017) but I have given this some thought often. I know that I will absolutely not go back to corporate America. And unless there is some catastrophe, I am poised to not HAVE to work.

But I have a million hobbies and interests and being "bored" is the last thing I worry about. I have a hobby restoring a driving old German cars and in 2003 started a web business make parts that were unavailable. I had a partner, but he has faded, and I have actually scaled back some of the small stuff and only do the best paying stuff. I also wheel and deal old parts, buying, restoring and reselling them.

My thought is that I would be motivated to work for "gravy" money. Out-of-budget money that could be spent for travel, etc. My wife and I love to travel and dine out. We will budget for that in our finances to some degree. But my hobby money has always been "off the books" and I love that I don't have to do it. I definitely don't want to have to do it. But I could be motivated to set up an "escape" fund and contribute toward that when I am not buying $450 horn buttons, $800 air filters and $1200 turn signals.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I was hoping to get some on-call work with my previous job, maybe 5-10 hours a week. I e-mailed three days ago and have not received one word. Guess they didn't like me as much as I thought they did!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
I was hoping to get some on-call work with my previous job, maybe 5-10 hours a week. I e-mailed three days ago and have not received one word. Guess they didn't like me as much as I thought they did!
Maybe. Or it could be having you there knowing you don't really need to be is too painful for them.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote