Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who needs a cell phone?
No way. Jose. Useless, service too expensive for now. 22 20.00%
Emergencies only. I like to schedule my calls. 35 31.82%
Occasionally I use it. Keep-up with the Joneses 22 20.00%
Couldn't live without it. 31 28.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Who needs a cell phone?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am still working, and I live on the road. Back home, my wife is also on the road a lot. We both have had cell phones for years as do the kids. We have a Verizon family plan and I have a special plan that gives me no roaming charges and a flat rate all over North America. (I stared out with AT&T, who had the first no-roaming, flat rate North American plan. We dropped it when we moved and found that their local coverage was crap.) We couldn't live without cell phones. We used to have arguments because we couldn't get hold of each other or the kids when we needed to. All of us except the daughter have stone-age basic phones.

I get very few business calls on the cell. Possibly the out-of-country area code puts people off. Almost all my business is transacted on the office phone or via e-mail. Understand that I am a simple contractor and go from project to project. I am not a big wheel.

My cell usage is usually communication with family, my agents, officialdom and friends, who are all over the world. Networking is lifeblood to me.

I have a local phone in my apartment with my fax and answering phone on it and DSL. I buy phone cards at the 7-11 that suit me fine (3.9 cents Canadian a minute to the places I want to call). I use the cell only if I can't use a phone card.

I have Yahoo e-mail accounts for personal and professional purposes that I can use anywhere in the world.

I have been interested in PDAs that include a cell phone function but I have not seen one yet that works well, does what I need and is reliable.

I only need a little technology, and it must be reliable. I also need alternate ways to communicate, for back-up in case one or another method can't be used.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:11 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

With Rep's and customers spread out in the US, Europe and the Far East we use everything including domestic and international cell phones, land lines, Skype and laptop wireless cards. Haven't tried the international wireless cards yet though (Verizon's I think is $130/month). That's on top of just moving to a full T-1. Total cost is "you don't want to know" but a required evil for our biz.

That said I really dislike loud longwinded public cell talkers. I always duck into a quiet spot to use mine and just take messages most of the time. No idle chit chat.

DW and I pay for our 15 yr old's cell. Peace of mind, better oversight, and less wasted time carting her all over the place 10 times a day :P

Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Here is how I plan to make my TracFone completely free:

* * Al's TracFone Page

I designed that page so that it will appear high up on people's searches about tracfones.* No referrals yet, but I just created it a week or so ago.
Good idea, looks like you are the official guinea pig. I've considered trac-phone as an option also and you've really clarified alot of the process for me.

Thanks for the link.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I use the cell only if I can't use a phone card.
It sure seems like payphones are getting more and more difficult to find. I suspect that eventually you'll have to have a cell phone if you need to make any kind of call while away from home.

cheers,
Michael
Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the info on pagers. Hopefully they won't seem so intrusive sgeeee. I'm not sure when they are going to show up.
Good grief with email and voicemail the bosses really want us connected ALL the time!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
It sure seems like payphones are getting more and more difficult to find.
Nationwide, the number of pay phones has dropped by half to approximately 1 million over the last nine years, according to an estimate by the American Public Communications Council
Old 08-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was reading the story about the guys busted for terrorism for buying 1000 prepaid Tracphone cell phones, and thought hmm... maybe they've found a good deal?

They offer a year's worth of service with a phone for $100:

http://www.freeprepaid.com/tracfones.htm
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #68

Sam's club carries Tracphones....maybe Costco also.

Last time I looked, the price was about 68.00 with a small amount of minutes, but a one year activation. Minutes could be added through their website or by buying a card.

I have a family plan with 3 phones and 1500 anytime minutes. My kids have unlimited text messaging and evenings start at 7 PM. Sprint to Sprint is not counted in the 1500. With an employee discount from m previous employer, it costs about $100 a month. When this plan expires, I'll probably let my kids go off on their own plans.

They use most of the minutes, but I do use the long distance on it occasionally.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #69

i only have a cell, no landline

60/month for unlimited minutes...and i use about 2500!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #70

Cell phone is great. It's a great way to call and receive calls from almost any place (except for remote area). The drawbacks are voice quality and interference. We hardly use our regular phone since we can use the cell phone for long distance. The regular phone is for emergency purpose. I do not give out my cell phone number to people at work.