Join Early Retirement Today

Who's Sorry Now?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Who's Sorry Now?

It's been over two years since i retired early, and I'm really enjoying it. But that's just me. Are there any forum members out there who regrets retiring, whether early or otherwise?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
"I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work."
-intercst (and I agree)

Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

not so much a regret but i would have liked to have kept working if my job hadn't turned so crappy. while circumstances might be regretful, i don't regret my decision as i'd make the same decision under similar circumstances.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
It's been over two years since i retired early, and I'm really enjoying it. But that's just me. Are there any forum members out there who regrets retiring, whether early or otherwise?
You may want to consider reading the following thread:

Wished You Would Have Retired Earlier?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #5

Not a regret yet (and not anticipating any) ... 6 months and counting.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Not a regret yet (and not anticipating any) ... 6 months and counting.
Just past the 9 month mark, and never even a slight tinge of regret!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

5 days so far and a lot of emotion but very happy to be free. My Ah Ha moment was about a year ago when I was replacing a toilet flange seal in one of our rentals and realized that I would rather do that than face my job again. My job at one time was excellent and fun but the last few years got really rough and if I focus on how it was instead of how it use to be I know I would not want to ever go back there.

I agree with Kahn, I would sell a kidney first!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
"I'd rather sell a kidney than go back to work."
-intercst (and I agree)
After 20 years of playing tournament golf with a lot of traveling involved, this was definantly my last year.

I'VE threatened to quit before, but the idea that there may be a full body transplant available shortly, kept me going. Not possible at this point, so my wife will be getting a full dose of me in the future.

I'M O.k. with the idea, but my wife may be needing a kidney, and possibly a liver in the future. I'LL keep in touch.

Oh, by the way, please stay off the 'sauce'
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
Why? Do you want us to leave more for you? ...OK, I get it - for your poor DW!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:

I'M O.k. with the idea, but my wife may be needing a kidney, and possibly a liver in the future. I'LL keep in touch.

Jarhead,
I am guessing your wife is having some significant health issues. I am sorry to hear that if it is true. Hang in there and I hope things get better.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #11

Several times I have seen opportunities and though "Hey that might be fun", but then I think, I would have to do this everyday! I hate commitments on my time.

I can't ever see regretting this decision! On the other hand, my DIL's father retired and was misinformed as to when his retirement checks kicked in. He is back working, however, a different job. One he really likes better.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why? Do you want us to leave more for you? ...OK, I get it - for your poor DW!
That was quick!

Kinda feels like i'm being stalked.

We've been under seige in the last week, and I was feeling pretty good about having electricity again, so decided to waste somebodys time by posting.

We're all electric, and have been camping for 6 days. (lights went out last Thursday, and just got back in the ball-game last night.)

80 mile an hour winds, after being rain=soaked. Not a good combination.

Lost 4 trees, (one of them went through my large view window, taking part of the wall with it. (Fun time).

Put up some plywood for a stop-gap, and if it ever stops raining, will re-access damage. (Fun with Dick and Jane)

Being a homeowner is a much fun as you can have with your clothes on.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Kinda feels like i'm being stalked.
Don't flatter yourself.

A couple of us were wondering how you'd weathered the storm since we heard it was kinda rough in your neck of the woods. Thanks for checking in and really sorry to hear you sustained a bunch of damage. But I'm glad to see it didn't do anything to your sense of humor...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Jarhead,
I am guessing your wife is having some significant health issues. I am sorry to hear that if it is true. Hang in there and I hope things get better.
Steve, my wife at this point is healthy.

I have a bit of a sick sense of humor, and when I made the remark about my wife may be needing a kidney, and liver transplant in the future, I was referring to her having a full dose of me in the future. (She's never been a drinker at this point.)

Thanks anyway.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

What a storm! Sorry to hear you sustained damage.

Time for a new hobby?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jarhead, get an RV. Good backup plan for weather calamities. Ours is always packed with several days of good living during hurricane season. We can stay clean, lighted, fed, hydrated and, with the right wine, pretty content for at least a week or so.

We moved to Fla in 2004, the year of 5 hurricanes. No damage in our area, and no hurricanes since then. But when they come back, if I am not still tied to the day job, we'll pack it up and take a nice leisurely camping trip someplace high and dry.

Sorry to hear of your weather-related hassles and losses. No place is safe from those things. Let us know how your insurance claims go .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Jarhead! Glad to hear you made it through our mini-hurricane. Nothing to impress someone who saw Katrina, but it was a pretty good blower.

I had water hitting my windows and collecting in the window slides faster than it could run out of the weep holes. Spent a couple of hours shop-vac'ing water out of a bunch of them until it stopped.

Had two older pieces of fencing almost go over...about two toothpicks worth of wood held them upright. Almost everyone had major fence and tree damage, anything that looked like a freestanding carport is now spare wood. Even home depot and lowes both had a couple of roof leaks and their demo metal carports were flattened.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't flatter yourself.

A couple of us were wondering how you'd weathered the storm since we heard it was kinda rough in your neck of the woods. Thanks for checking in and really sorry to hear you sustained a bunch of damage. But I'm glad to see it didn't do anything to your sense of humor...
ReWahoo: Re: sense of humor. Remember Alfred E Neuman. (Keep grinning, the boss loves idiots).

Martha and Rich: Good suggestions.

Fuzzy: No Katrina for sure, but it did get my attention. By far the worst I've seen in the almost 21 years here.

Enough already.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ReWahoo: Re: sense of humor. Remember Alfred E Neuman. (Keep grinning, the boss loves idiots).

Martha and Rich: Good suggestions.

Fuzzy: No Katrina for sure, but it did get my attention. By far the worst I've seen in the almost 21 years here.

Enough already.
Good to see you posting again. Still plan to hustle your friends on the course?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
There were two main reasons I retired - frustration with the bureaucracy that made it so hard to get things done at work, and frustration with having to plan our lives around traffic, both negatives, I know. Two months after my retirement date we moved to a much less congested area that we enjoy being in. We (DW & I) have of course discussed whether retiring was the right thing to do. She's adjusting better than I have. Family says both of us are much more relaxed than when we were working.

I feel like I'm being a traitor to the forum - I'm going back to work. There's only so many radio control airplanes I can build & fly, so many movies to see, so many fish to catch, etc. Frankly, I'm bored. I want something to DO! And there are some toys that I'd like, either an RV or a full-size airplane, both just out of reach right now.

So, keeping my DPMO* hat firmly in place, I started a job yesterday. It seems like it'll be a good fit, they have a laid-back atmosphere so far. I figure one to three years will pay for the toy(s) then cut back to part time to support them.

*DPMO - Don't P*** Me Off