Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Minute by minute, blow by blow, including personal hygiene stuff (brushed my teeth). That tends to stop future questions.
I thought that was the idea of Facebook?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got this question more when I first retired. Now when I get it and tell them, the response is usually "wow, you are living a great life, congrats". This makes me feel good and reminds me again how lucky I am.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread has probably run its course, but is asking an early retiree 'how they spend their time' any more intrusive (or insert your word of choice) than asking someone 'what do you do for a living?' I didn't (and still don't) ask others, but it seems like a very common question when meeting a stranger, and it's often just something to start a conversation with. Beats talking about the weather or sports, the most tiresome go to's for men at least...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I was on a bus today. A couple next to me were looking at a map given out by the downtown tourist assoc. They were obviously lost, but I didn't know the area so I kept quiet. Then an attractive young woman across from us asked them where they were going. The woman tourist held out a note with an address, and the helpful woman said- oh, get off next stop, and walk back south, you have already missed your address. After the tourists had left, she said to us that she had read the address from across the aisle and knew they were lost.

Later I was looking around, not sure where my stop was, and a middle aged woman next to me asked me where I was going. I told her, and she said that's the next stop. There are many helpful nice people around, and most of what they say is meant to help.

People are welcome to talk to me, unless they say "give me your money!"

Ha
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I feel like talking, sometimes I don't. Still, when people ask me something, I try to interpret that as they are making a conversation, or if they are a friend or an acquaintance, perhaps they have a genuine interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
People are welcome to talk to me, unless they say "give me your money!"
Ha
+1
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Thought Chuckanut was being bothered by people who seemed to expect him to be accountable to them. Absent Chuckanut's reporting an actual exchange that has miffed him, we can't really know what the askers are saying that goes beyond normal conversation-starting.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Some of it may be just the usual conversation starter type stuff to show interest in the other person (in this case Chuckanut).

I get "How's work?" all the time from folks I haven't talked to recently.
My son's get "How's school?"
And it's not uncommon for me to ask "How are things going? Doing anything interesting?"

I
Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's like the Silverado commercial playing now

So, what do you do?
I love it, how can you put into words...
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
OK, Why are so many people so concerned over how I spend my time? Why do they expect me to be accountable to them?
Have others experienced this phenomena? Questions like "What do you do all day?", "How long did it take you to do that?", What are you going to do next?", or, the worst one "Don't you get bored?"
I was not ready for this. I expected a few comments, but not this many and not so often. Or do I have so much idle time on my hands that I am imagining this.
It's hell, but it beats the alternative of going back to work.

I have an opposite problem. When I go to taekwondo or surfing (two places where nobody talks about work) I don't get "Howzit?". Instead I get "How's your daughter doing?"

I was kvetching about this to my daughter the other day and she said "Dad, whenever I go back to school I have to listen to my classmates for weeks asking me "How's your Dad doing?" She feels obligated to read my blog just so that she can answer the questions when her classmates ask her about a post.

So in conclusion... life is good.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure Michael Phelps, recently FIRE'd from the olympics will be getting really used to folks soon asking him "Does he get bored and how he spends all the new found time"
Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I can tell you that if it was me asking, it would be for the strict purpose of trying to live vicariously through you!!

I'd be trying to step inside your skin to fully contemplate the full deliciousness of absolute freedom!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyC View Post
I can tell you that if it was me asking, it would be for the strict purpose of trying to live vicariously through you!!

I'd be trying to step inside your skin to fully contemplate the full deliciousness of absolute freedom!

High Five
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

**and the absolutely best thing about being retired is NOT having to do timesheets and expense reports!!! **

And STAFF MEETINGS!!!!!!!!!