Why are some vices more acceptable?

Yes it took me a while to get used to it as well. They seem so normal! And here we are enjoying the life of Riley with just a tiny fraction of what they have, and enjoying their company. I think the secret is that they are all first generation rich so they do not have any deeply-ingrained habits. They tend to have multiple cars, houses and boats. Well, we have 3 cars and 2 homes! No boats though. I was cured of that early!

(Speaking of generations of wealth, I met one of The Barclay Brothers in their lawyers Park Avenue offices to explain what we would do with their $10 million investment. It was 2000 and we were doing handheld authorization for credit and debit transactions. One of the brothers asked what a debit card was. I explained how it was used with an ATM. He asked what an ATM was! I explained it patiently and casually asked him how he gets his spending money. He said he sends the butler out to handle it. Now that is wealth. We got the investment anyway.)
Yeah, the butler got it, I love it. Im trying to visualize the meeting. Im enjoying the view

I worked at a night club for a while. The owner could spot high end mens shoes and watches immediately. He would send over people to see if that person wanted to spend big bucks, at the VIP area. He was dead on almost 100 % of the time. Those people would get snatched off the line almost immediately.
Bet that was interesting to see.

While that "may" be true to women, I can say that to 99.99% of men I've known (including myself), the difference between a $2,500 pair of women's shoes and a similar style shoe from a discount shoe store is unlikely to be noticed at all. In fact, I can label women's shoes into "flats, open toed/open foot, heels, and boots" and anything that fits in one of those categories without being extravagant in some manner is going to be thought of like any other shoe in that category. I've never looked at a woman and said "wow, those shoes really make her more attractive to me" and I'd wager the same could be said for most men.

I guess I'm in the 00.01% on this one. Might be a function of where I live and work.

Jimmy Choos are distinctive for the height of the heels and the pointiness of the toes. You used to be able to tell them also by their red soles, but that's mostly changed now. They are sexy shoes when worn by a woman with great legs.

I am much less impressed by a woman who buys and wears these shoes than I am by an equally attractive woman who could do so but chooses more sensible brands. When I see a woman who is dressed very expensively, I get the definite feeling that I'd be paying for all that, and more, if she were my wife. Been there done that and not doing it again.

When I see a woman who is dressed very expensively, I get the definite feeling that I'd be paying for all that, and more, if she were my wife. Been there done that and not doing it again.

Yup, a lot of guys have learned that lesson the hard way. I'm one of them.:(

When I read the original post, mention of vices and I was going along the track of vices like drinking, gambling hitting the nightlife looking for a good time. But this isn't the vices talked about.

Instead, the post is more about splurges. I guess one person's idea of a splurge of worthwhile extravagance is another persons idea of over indulgence. For me, I'm not much of a label person being labels on jeans, type or car, type of cell phone. For some those things are very important. I do splurge on some things, but not for the bling but more for high quality functionality, I suppose.

I guess I'm in the 00.01% on this one. Might be a function of where I live and work.

Jimmy Choos are distinctive for the height of the heels and the pointiness of the toes. You used to be able to tell them also by their red soles, but that's mostly changed now. They are sexy shoes when worn by a woman with great legs....

Those would be your Christian Louboutin high heels with the red soles :LOL:

Those would be your Christian Louboutin high heels with the red soles :LOL:

Well, I think I've seen both brands that way, but JC is not so much red so I'm sure you're right. Both are F-me brands [emoji151] as the former salesman said. And bloody expensive, but sexy as hell. Best when worn by a woman not my wife (so I don't need to pay). [emoji106]

I am much less impressed by a woman who buys and wears these shoes than I am by an equally attractive woman who could do so but chooses more sensible brands. When I see a woman who is dressed very expensively, I get the definite feeling that I'd be paying for all that, and more, if she were my wife. Been there done that and not doing it again.

Yup. I'm more impressed by a fit woman who doesn't mind "average" clothes over one who wears feels the need to wear a new $800 outfit every day.

Yet it's unlikely that you would marry any of these women, so why couldn't you just admire them for their looks and move on?

My husband and I do that. I say, "Wow, she looks great and I bet she paid a fortune," and he says "You could get that outfit and you'd look great in or out of it" and I say "Naaah...they don't make those shoes in my size" and we move on.

I
When I see a woman who is dressed very expensively, I get the definite feeling that I'd be paying for all that, and more, if she were my wife. Been there done that and not doing it again.

Okay, anyone interested in some lightly used mens Bruno Magli shoes - slightly stained?

Yet it's unlikely that you would marry any of these women, so why couldn't you just admire them for their looks and move on?

If you saw a pickup truck drive by with 24 inch gold plated rims and a slammed suspension would you admire it for its looks or perhaps form some less flattering opinion? Different strokes...

My husband and I do that. I say, "Wow, she looks great and I bet she paid a fortune," and he says "You could get that outfit and you'd look great in or out of it" and I say "Naaah...they don't make those shoes in my size" and we move on.

I say "She is an idiot for wearing such uncomfortable shoes. I cannot trust her judgment."

DW wears very nice clothes and shoes and looks stunning in them. I think they are quite expensive but not sure as she buys her own clothes with her own money. I am a lucky guy.

I think pick-pocketing is a better vice than blind sucker punching.

It would seem that the whole point of expensive shoes and watches would be to be distinctive enough to be spotted by other status seekers. A Rolex doesn't keep any better time than a Timex, these days.

These days everyone has a phone with the time on it in their pocket anyway. I don't own a watch of any kind these days.

These days everyone has a phone with the time on it in their pocket anyway.

These days almost everyone has a phone with the time on it in their pocket anyway. FIFY. (I don't, and DW doesn't.) ;)

Of course, if the premise is that "Anyone who's anyone has a phone with the time on it in their pocket ", then I recuse myself.

Last edited:
+100
I recently spent $2100 to fly a MiG15. I am 79 and only go around once,
Why not, if you can afford it?

I'd totally do this.
I can imagine $500 for Hamilton tickets but no more.
$800 for shoes, not even if I had Buffett's money.

As long as people aren't complaining about being broke, I don't really care what they spend their money on.

DW wears very nice clothes and shoes and looks stunning in them. I think they are quite expensive but not sure as she buys her own clothes with her own money. I am a lucky guy.

Yes, some women actually pay for their own clothes and don't need a man to pay for them, believe it or not.

DW used to buy her, mine, and the girls clothes from her paycheck. It's what she liked to do.

Back
Top Bottom