Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
The bonds get paid off in two years, and that tax should be retired.
My experience is "retired tax" is an oxymoron...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RW.
Agree. It will be interesting to watch. With a small group of people, there is some control over the board. I expect to see new bonds for 'repairs' to the existing system. Hopefully they will not be a big as the original.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

I know that most people don't think of the Houston area as a retirement site but I would like to add that I think it does have a lot of positives depending upon one's preferences.

I moved to Ft. Bend County in 2000 for a position in Houston. I have lived in many areas of this country but I am from the Northeast and I always knew I wanted to leave the snowbelt behind forever and live where I could have palm trees in my yard.

When I retired in 2003, I had the freedom to move where ever I chose and spent a lot of time looking for Utopia. I finally decided that I liked this area better than anywhere else that I have lived. I'm about 15 miles from the Medical Center and Museum area, 50 miles from Galveston beaches, and two of the cities in Ft. Bend County made the Money magazine's list of Best Small Cities.

By the way, Ft. Bend school district, which is the largest component of property taxes here, freezes the tax for those over 65.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Good grief. Texas is a retirement hell-hole and Houston is the port of entry...

That's how I felt about Tulsa when I lived there. Maybe Tulsa is the 2nd port of entry (even if it is land-locked)?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #45

I'm popping in late with this thread but I couldn't resist. I live on the west side of Houston to be close to my current j*b. I have lived for many years in the Clear Lake area.

It's the same oppressive weather and critter infested place mentioned earlier. The winters are nicer but you can still be running the AC in February. Property taxes are oppressive and even when frozen they are a big hit on most retirement budgets. You can only address it with a nominal $100K house. I do plan to keep Texas residency to avoid income taxes even if we live in other places.

I am definitely not planning on a Houston retirement although I have known people that have. It always seems to involve closeness to grandkids and the justification of year round golf.

Because of the grandkids, we're looking at being within a 1 days drive. That puts southern Missouri and even western Tennessee in the extreme range. DW and I are in the scouting process now. We are looking for "scenery" and I'm wanting easy access fishing. A smaller town approach would also be nice. We're considering having multiple bases to enjoy the best of several areas. If we keep the cost of the base down, that's easily achieved with our finances.

I think that if I got diagnosed with cancer or needed significant medical attention I would move back here and rent a place convenient to the med center. I've seen people have miracles performed on them and I'm a believer.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm popping in late with this thread but I couldn't resist. I live on the west side of Houston to be close to my current j*b. I have lived for many years in the Clear Lake area.

It's the same oppressive weather and critter infested place mentioned earlier. The winters are nicer but you can still be running the AC in February. Property taxes are oppressive and even when frozen they are a big hit on most retirement budgets. You can only address it with a nominal $100K house. I do plan to keep Texas residency to avoid income taxes even if we live in other places.

I am definitely not planning on a Houston retirement although I have known people that have. It always seems to involve closeness to grandkids and the justification of year round golf.

Because of the grandkids, we're looking at being within a 1 days drive. That puts southern Missouri and even western Tennessee in the extreme range. DW and I are in the scouting process now. We are looking for "scenery" and I'm wanting easy access fishing. A smaller town approach would also be nice. We're considering having multiple bases to enjoy the best of several areas. If we keep the cost of the base down, that's easily achieved with our finances.

I think that if I got diagnosed with cancer or needed significant medical attention I would move back here and rent a place convenient to the med center. I've seen people have miracles performed on them and I'm a believer.
Southern Missouri has beautiful scenery, fishing, and small towns - - sounds like you have got this well figured out.

If you got diagnosed with cancer, your doctors at M.D. Anderson might be able to communicate with doctors in Springfield enough that maybe you could even go back to Missouri after a little while. Guess it all depends on the situation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #47

Quote:
We have a friend here in Charleston who is receiving one of those miracles (still alive 5 years after diagnosis with end stage colon cancer). He and his wife travel out there quite frequently for his treatment and surgeries, but he does have coordination of drug therapy here at our local teaching hospital. MD Anderson is incredible.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:

Check out Springfield, Missouri- it has everything you are looking for, and it's not Arkansas or Oklahoma!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Check out Springfield, Missouri- it has everything you are looking for, and it's not Arkansas or Oklahoma!
Branson and the surrounding areas are right now on the top of the list. We looked at Springfield and were unimpressed but comments from Want2Retire have put a second review of Springfield in the plan.

We haven't been impressed with any Arkansas location. We're considering a few possibilites around Ten Killer Lake but it's not be explored in the flesh.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Branson and the surrounding areas are right now on the top of the list. We looked at Springfield and were unimpressed but comments from Want2Retire have put a second review of Springfield in the plan.

We haven't been impressed with any Arkansas location. We're considering a few possibilites around Ten Killer Lake but it's not be explored in the flesh.
Fayetteville, Arkansas, was on our list of potential ER locations. We haven't visited it yet, though, and probably won't since we are already so focused on Springfield.

You might like Ozark, Missouri which is just a few minutes south of Springfield on I-65. We visited it and it is nice, but I'd rather live in a larger town like Springfield even though one could easily live in Ozark and shop in Springfield.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Fayetteville, Arkansas, was on our list of potential ER locations.
On a quick visit we found Feyetteville a little too big and spread out. It started to look like a big city since it has grown in with all of the surrounding cities. Of course, that was our first impression with Springfield. We might reconsider it later.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I've lived in Texas all my life. Started out in Midland. Worked my grandad's ranch near Bandera (Pipe Creek). Then to Houston when Spring Branch was the western edge of town. In those days (late 60's) it wasn't too bad. West Belt was the last road then it was open country to Katy.

Houston just got out of control (IMO) because of the lack of zoning in those days. You never knew what was going to end up a block away. Over building of huge apartment complexes was another problem. Seemed like anything bad that happened in the neighborhood came from the apartments. By the early 80's we went from a nice part of town to inner city type problems. We thought about moving farther out like everyone else, but ended up in a small town south of Dallas and closer to family.

I don't think I could handle the problems that go along with Houston these days.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I don't think I could handle the problems that go along with Houston these days.
I wouldn't live in the city and haven't since 1983. But living outside the city one of the better suburbs is a pleasant experience.

A lot of things have changed for the better in the city over the last decade or so, but some problems have hung on since the 80's and aren't getting any better. No zoning, overbuilding of apartments, way too many poor and uneducated legal and illegal aliens living in ghettos, and recurring funding problems at HPD have meant serious crime problems in some areas that tends to spill out to the better parts of town.

Outside the city most of the suburbs are well planned and have strict zoning laws, heavily restricted apartments, immigrants tend to be legal, educated, well employed and not concentrated in small areas, and there are plenty of police. We still have crime (it's everywhere), but my little town was the safest in Texas for its size a couple of years ago.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived in Houston at three different times in my life, and it was among the first cross-outs when it came time to decide where to retire. All of the previously noted reasons apply, but there is one no one mentioned: with the exception of the Downtown area, Houston is just not a pretty city... and the traffic can be as frustrating at times as L.A.

One positive though: thanks to global warming, the city is now sprouting palm trees and tropical plants that in the 60's simply couldn't survive.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Only one reason.....because it's in TX.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjul View Post
Only one reason.....because it's in TX.
The message IS getting through!!!!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The message IS getting through!!!!
You're in one of the better parts of the state even with the scorpions et al....

I haven't found enough benefits to living there to justify the property tax and other limitations.

Glad I could help your cause.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman View Post
...Houston is just not a pretty city...
If you had asked, we would have shown you the pretty places .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reflecting pool at city hall.jpg (489.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg se7fah.jpg (121.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg downtown from bayou park.jpg (835.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg r1neqe.jpg (200.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Heights COH library.jpg (169.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
If you had asked, we would have shown you the pretty places .
Houston is a wealthy city, and wealth is its own recommendation.

Ha
Old 08-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #60

Sorry, I missed this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman View Post
...with the exception of the Downtown area, Houston is just not a pretty city...
Somewhat true, but that is why so many people live in the suburbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodlands2.jpg (204.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Kemah6-15-07011.jpg (134.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sl marriott night.jpg (126.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg terracotta army in katy.jpg (160.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg temple stafford.jpg (138.9 KB, 3 views)