Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Other than the Woodlands and Kemah, those suburbs make for a very long commute...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Houston looks pretty. I'm moving to Texas! Who's with me?!?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Other than the Woodlands and Kemah, those suburbs make for a very long commute...
One really nice part of ER that I am looking forward to, is no commute!! Right now, I only commute a mile and a half and that is long enough.

Texas is not on our radar, even if a pretty photo CAN be taken there. It's not the scorpions, snakes, and brown recluse spiders. Even the unbearable, relentless, burning heat of summer that lasts half the year wouldn't be so bad if the property taxes weren't totally insane. Besides, I have lived in Texas and I am ready to try someplace new.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Texas is not on our radar, even if a pretty photo CAN be taken there.
If you take another look at those photos, you may notice a couple appear to have been taken in a foreign country...but then, that's Houston for ya!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you take another look at those photos, you may notice a couple appear to have been taken in a foreign country - and no, I don't mean Texas.
They sure seemed like foreign locations to me, but then hey, what do I know? I'm not a Texan, even though I lived there for 13 years. Guess Leonidas had a hard time finding something pretty to photograph in ugly ol' Houston.

"Texas - - it's a whole 'nuther country!"

Old 08-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #66

Actually, all the photos are from Houston or surrounding suburbs. Go figure.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #67

Quote:
One really nice part of ER that I am looking forward to, is no commute!!
Off topic, but I'm curious. What exactly is a Physical Oceanographer? And why the "physical" designation - are there "spiritual" oceanographers?
Old 08-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually, all the photos are from Houston or surrounding suburbs. Go figure.
See? Toldja I wouldn't know.

My deep underlying motivation in life for many years, has been to have a home and roots somewhere. I have probably mentioned that before; thought I had put down roots in New Orleans, until da big K changed my plans. To me, the world consists of two places: home, and the infinite variations on what is not home. I don't yet have the first very well resolved.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 80's I tryed to get SO interested in Big Bend country with the old 28 foot camper. she drew the line at McAllen.

Are you nuts? Where's the Mall?

heh heh heh - heck if you are gonna do Texas - why not someplace nice where even the scorpions put on sunblocker? .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Well, I'm retired and pffffttt on commuting!

Granted, Houston is a huge city and there are employment centers spread all about (Downtown, Med Center, Energy Corridor, Uptown, North Belt, NASA, West Belt, Greenway Plaza, etc.) so, I think the commute depends on where you live. Katy & Cypress are long drives to anything other than the Energy Corridor or West Belt. The Woodlands to downtown is a daunting drive. Kemah to downtown is a bear as well. Sugar Land is convenient to Uptown, West Belt, Med Center, and sort of the Energy Corridor as well. Ditto for Pearland. Clear Lake and Kemah are very convenient to NASA.

And of course many of those areas are now developing into employment centers as well. Sugar Land has Noble Enterprises, Texas Instruments, Fluor, Schlumberger, Minute Maid, and two new large branch hospitals (Methodist and Memorial Hermann) among others. The Woodlands has Chevron Phillips, Anadarko, Fox Sports, Compaq is close as well. Sugar Land was in the top 5 on Money Mags best places to live in 2006 and the Woodlands was in the top 100. They've both dropped down on the list in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Houston looks pretty. I'm moving to Texas! Who's with me?!?
Well, all of the photos were taken after the big weekly rattlesnake roundup. It's pretty much SOP, or else all anyone would say when they looked at the pics would be, "where's the city, underneath that mountain of snakes?"
Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Off topic, but I'm curious. What exactly is a Physical Oceanographer? And why the "physical" designation - are there "spiritual" oceanographers?
Come to think of it, I guess I consider myself to be a spiritual physical oceanographer.

Physical oceanographers are experts on ocean physics and physical processes, such as waves, currents, eddies, and more. We are about equally divided between physicists and engineers, and that is why I have an engineering background.

People seem to think that oceanographer would be a marine biologist like Jacques Cousteau. I can testify that I have never trained a killer whale.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #72

Quote:
I can testify that I have never trained a killer whale.
OK...but I'll bet you've got ol' Frank pretty well whipped into shape!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #73

And for those of you who aren't easily scared by rattlesnakes, here's some pics of the less glamorous aspects. The last picture is of a statue of the great long-horned armadillo that legend says will come one day to eat all of the scorpions, rattlesnakes and brown recluse spiders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160af89.jpg (96.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 829755683_5e70ba1193.jpg (106.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1043950546_1b2f7443e1.jpg (134.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg starett st..jpg (261.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg longhorn dillo.jpg (163.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK...but I'll bet you've got ol' Frank pretty well whipped into shape!
Frank? He's an aerospace/rocket engineer and a pretty capable guy. Like you might imagine, he doesn't take to being pushed around very much.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Come to think of it, I guess I consider myself to be a spiritual physical oceanographer.

Physical oceanographers are experts on ocean physics and physical processes, such as waves, currents, eddies, and more. We are about equally divided between physicists and engineers, and that is why I have an engineering background.

People seem to think that oceanographer would be a marine biologist like Jacques Cousteau. I can testify that I have never trained a killer whale.
Be very very careful - the little niece got out of the Academy in Physical Oceanography. Later married a dang Marine and became a civilian en ga neer.

Might be the water.

heh heh heh -

BTW - nephew got winged in greater Corpus - isn't Port Aransus and places around there a watersports area?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Be very very careful - the little niece got out of the Academy in Physical Oceanography. Later married a dang Marine and became a civilian en ga neer.

Might be the water.

heh heh heh -

BTW - nephew got winged in greater Corpus - isn't Port Aransus and places around there a watersports area?
It would probably have been extremely hard if not impossible for your little niece to get a job with a good salary as a physical oceanographer on the strength of an undergraduate degree (no matter what they call the major). There aren't many jobs in the field with decent pay. Luckily, I have one of them and it's going to become available in 435 more days.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - gotta be a Doc(Phd) like Bob Ballard before reaching for stardom on the educational channels eh?

Soooo - back to - what's the best sport's fishing out of Texas driving down as a 'Winter Texan from Kansas City'? I worked with a homesick Texan in Denver who went all the way to Brownsville several times a year - back in the 70's.

heh heh heh - .
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmmm - gotta be a Doc(Phd) like Bob Ballard before reaching for stardom on the educational channels eh?
Yep, or any other kind of job in this field. Bob Ballard is a friend of my ex's, and he is more of a geologist than anything I suppose.

Quote:
Soooo - back to - what's the best sport's fishing out of Texas driving down as a 'Winter Texan from Kansas City'? I worked with a homesick Texan in Denver who went all the way to Brownsville several times a year - back in the 70's.

heh heh heh - .
I know about as much about that, as I know about training killer whales. Sorry! It's has nothing to do with what I do for a living. Maybe there is someone else here with a degree in fisheries biology, or better, some experience doing sports fishing.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Soooo - back to - what's the best sport's fishing out of Texas driving down as a 'Winter Texan from Kansas City'?
Lower Laguna Madre, around Port Mansfield especially. One of the best places for wade fishing, drift fishing and light spinning tackle of fly fishing. Protected bays, clear shallow water, and lots of grass beds. Redfish and Trout galore, and Black Drum, Ladyfish and Sheepshead. You can get a boat and guide and go into the passes leading out the Gulf and find Tarpon, Snook, Jacks, King & Spanish Mackerel, Mangrove Snapper, Bonita & Sharks.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I passed by this thread and all its gory details because I was pretty sure that I was never goin' to Houston.

I was wrong. Apparently Rice U has a NROTC unit, both civil and environmental engineering programs, and a basketball team-- so our kid is interested. I hear there's a fairly good taekwondo school run by a family named Lopez, too...

Believe it or not there's a flight directly from Honolulu to Houston. We're looking at our high school's fall break the week of 6-10 Oct, hopefully when the humidity is down and the heat is tolerable.

Quote:
Yep, or any other kind of job in this field. Bob Ballard is a friend of my ex's, and he is more of a geologist than anything I suppose.
Hey, W2R, you neglected to mention all the cool Navy oceanography careers. Bob Ballard is one of my spouse's heroes... right up there with Walter Munk...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote