Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think that hula hooping should be a required part of PE at every college, even the ones that don't have any hippies hanging around.

And hey, have you seen my new pole?
Yep, right by the front door!
This could cause me to reconsider my avoidance of financial advisors.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #162

Another reason not to retire in Houston...

Today, for for what seems like the fifteenth year in a row, I worked up a sweat putting up the outdoor christmas lights: 75 degrees with 80% humidity in mid-December.

But it did snow a bit one day last week, for the first time in four years.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Another reason not to retire in Houston...

Today, for for what seems like the fifteenth year in a row, I worked up a sweat putting up the outdoor christmas lights: 75 degrees with 80% humidity in mid-December.

But it did snow a bit one day last week, for the first time in four years.
I had the windows open for while today while cooking. It got so humid I had to close them and turn on the AC for a bit to make it comfortable in the house. If you don't like the weather in Houston, just wait fifteen minutes and it will change.

I heard there is a possibility for a second chance at snow next week!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #164

The first year I lived in Houston--having moved from Chicago--it just blew me away that the guy buying perfume for his lady at Nieman's was standing there in running shorts. All I could think was how un-Christmasy it seemed down there.
But, never fear, the beginning of January often has a huge turn around with too much chilly and cold weather that lasts thru mid-February or so. In fact, Houstonians have no idea how to drive on ice, so you find yourself staying home during that time alot.
However, I can say this as I found it amusing: nowhere in America are people happier than the Houstonians when it snows. They will be out there trying to scrape a cup of snow together if they can from the ground, laughing and smiling. It's rare there, and they really get a thrill from any snow that comes down as it's so unusual (maybe once every 10 years or so). One of my fondest memories of Houston is that.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #165
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have been living in Houston for 4.5 years and start getting used to the city. Yes, it's hot and humid here (especially in the summer) but honestly don't mind the heat. There is no state income tax (a big plus) and medical facilities are generally excellent. It's a nice city to live and work and lots of activities around if that's what you are after. There are lots of high rise, cars and people. A typical big city, I would say. But for retirement, not for me. I'd prefer somewhere more relaxed and quite; something close to the water with birds landing at your front door sort of lifestyle. Having said that, I am seriously thinking about staying at Fort Myers (to be close to my mom) during winter months while renovating our winter house (inherited from my grandpa) in Ludlow, Vermont for spending my spring and summer. I love Ludlow for its natural beauty and mild weather (for the summer). I used to take the kids skiing there when I was married but I don't think I will be doing any of that when retire. To me, Houston is just too cosmopolitan. It's nice to stay for a couple of weeks but not somewhere you spend the rest of your life with. Just my personal opinion
Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The humidity is wonderful for the skin, there is a vibrant cultural life, and fine universities. Also, no state income tax. What's so bad about that?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Another 'back from the long dead" thread...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Another 'back from the long dead" thread...
To a new reader it's fresh & vibrant, never-been-discussed-before! The thread, not Houston.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The humidity is wonderful for the skin, there is a vibrant cultural life, and fine universities. Also, no state income tax. What's so bad about that?
A friend I walk with likes to say that bit about humidity and the skin.
I think humidity is wonderful if you like feeling sweaty. I'd rather have a dry climate and apply lotion.

YMMV.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #170
gone traveling

It was a great place to grow up and wo*k but after living there 60 years, I couldn't see living there in retirement. I just don't want to deal with the traffic and crowds and "rush" on a daily basis anymore. However if needed, it's only about a 2 hour drive to get there now.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #171

On the retire in Houston, you can get the climate and the no state income taxes in smaller towns more than 50 miles out. Or if you want a different climate do what lots do and try the hill country. A town of 30k gives you a choice of grocery stores et.al. and if ups delivers then amazon is always available. Why put up with the traffic hassle if there is no job involved.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Too humid, that's why.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Too humid, that's why.
Sissy

Disclosure:
We live near Houston for family reasons but leave for at least 4 months every summer

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Sissy

Disclosure:
We live near Houston for family reasons but leave for at least 4 months every summer

You mean that you get while the getting is good.

I recall a July due diligence trip to Houston. During lunch we decided to go for a short walk like we would commonly do in many other places in the US. Big mistake. Within 1/4 mile we were soaked with sweat. So yes, I am a sissy.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You mean that you get while the getting is good.

I recall a July due diligence trip to Houston. During lunch we decided to go for a short walk like we would commonly do in many other places in the US. Big mistake. Within 1/4 mile we were soaked with sweat. So yes, I am a sissy.
The summers are brutal but the winters are pretty good (unless you miss snow and ice), and where we live has over 150 miles of bike and hike trails plus lots of tennis courts and over 100 parks all within a few mile radius and days will go by without using the car. Now that we are retired we can escape the hottest and most humid months.

However, if it wasn't for family we would be looking for somewhere else for our home base.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #176

DH is a Houston native and we met there (work). But when we had an opportunity to choose a Texas city to live in, Houston was not on the list. We visit often but are very glad it is not home.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #177

I think Houston has a lot going for it and I looked into the place. My permanent mailing address is there.

Climate-wise, I find it too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter (3 months with average lows in the 40s and 2 more months in the low 50s). It also rains all year with an annual total of about 50 inches and no dry season. I found the place just too big and possibly the most car-centric city I have ever visited. So that was just too many negatives.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #178

My girlfriend lives in TX. So I won't be far away from Houston when winter comes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Anyone have an answer as to why Houston wouldn't attract more retirees or do I just not have the latest on the Houston retirement scene?:confused:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #179

Please don't tell me this is a dancing pole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And hey, have you seen my new pole?
Yep, right by the front door!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Try Dallas - less humid, no refinery smells. If you live inside the loop in North Oak Cliff or East Dallas/Lakewood (White Rock Lake), it's like you are in small town in the big city. Laid - back and "Austin-ish" but with the rich mixed in. Lots of interesting independent shops, restaurants and businesses; less traffic, somewhat walkable, good public transportation with excellent access to downtown and the Arts District.