Join Early Retirement Today

Why aren't more retiring in Houston?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why aren't more retiring in Houston?

Houston has two of the top hospitals for cancer and heart, 6th best restaurant city from studies and lots of cultural activities; so, why aren't more retirees moving there? Seems as if everyone heads to Austin--where I read that only 45% of the physicians will take Medicare now there. Anyone have an answer as to why Houston wouldn't attract more retirees or do I just not have the latest on the Houston retirement scene?:confused:
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #2

125% Humidity 105 deg temp. from June to Sept!
Houston is a big city. How many people say 'give me 75 front feet on a nice slab of concrete' Now that's retirement!

Now if you want to talk outside of Houston, say 30 min to and hour, there is the Woodlands, Lake Conroe, Lake Houston, Lake Livingston, and lots of communities where you can get anywhere from 1 to 5 acres of woods at a reasonable price.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Houston has two of the top hospitals for cancer and heart, 6th best restaurant city from studies and lots of cultural activities; so, why aren't more retirees moving there? Seems as if everyone heads to Austin--where I read that only 45% of the physicians will take Medicare now there. Anyone have an answer as to why Houston wouldn't attract more retirees or do I just not have the latest on the Houston retirement scene?:confused:
Have you ever been to Houston in the Summer? There is more to picking a retirement location than statistics.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #4

I was asked if I wanted a job in Houston. I laughed. Fat, hairy men do not belong in Houston.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
125% Humidity 105 deg temp. from June to Sept!
Houston is a big city. How many people say 'give me 75 front feet on a nice slab of concrete' Now that's retirement!

Now if you want to talk outside of Houston, say 30 min to and hour, there is the Woodlands, Lake Conroe, Lake Houston, Lake Livingston, and lots of communities where you can get anywhere from 1 to 5 acres of woods at a reasonable price.
If I had to retire in Houston, I would look at Brenham- just west of Houston off 290. My first choice in TX would be one of the lakes north of San Antonio-around New Braunfels.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Fat, hairy men do not belong in Houston.
Houston becomes a rendering plant for fat, hairy guys in the summer.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #7

I like the Houston area. Heat doesn't bother me. Its the cold I don't like. I like to be able to sit in front of my computer naked all year round..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
You are kidding, right? I lived there ten years. Perpetual summer with high humidity, bad air quality, heavy traffic, hurricanes, fire ants, West Nile Virus. Maybe you should consider Calcutta.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
You are kidding, right? I lived there ten years. Perpetual summer with high humidity, bad air quality, heavy traffic, hurricanes, fire ants, West Nile Virus. Maybe you should consider Calcutta.
Yeah you right! After hell holes like greater Portland OR, Seattle and Denver - thirty years in paradise(New Orleans) should have acclimated me for someplace nice like Houston.

But I think greater Kansas City deserves a chance - three years this September.

Tornado's and ice storms are ok - but not the same thing.

heh heh heh - speaking tongue in cheek wise - natch. Roughing it with care packages - you do realize white shrimp season is open and the soft shell crabs are pretty good. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
....... high humidity, bad air quality, heavy traffic, hurricanes, fire ants, West Nile Virus. Maybe you should consider Calcutta.
That is good season in November/December. And they speak in Texan.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #11

One of the experts on FIRE, John Greaney (screen name: intercst), founder of the Retire Early Home Page, lives in Houston (although I believe he leaves during the really hot weather to stay with family in CT.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Why I am not planning to retire in Houston:

1. weather - - hurricanes?
2. property taxes
3. horrible traffic
4. crime (though they at least have Texas Justice)
5. prefer a walkable neighborhood in a smaller town

On the other hand, Houston is really not such a bad place. It just didn't win the "gold medal" in the competition to be my #1 choice.

Today, Frank and I traveled to Huntsville, Alabama again, for a long weekend and we will give it a second look. It is still our #2, but I do not know exactly why!! It is a nice town. So, we shall see.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I worked in Houston for a few weeks during the summer. It felt like the hottest place on earth - too hot for year round retirement.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Because Austin is supposed to be cool (and Democrat). No other Texas city has the PR that Austin has.

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Why I am not planning to retire in Houston:

1. weather - - hurricanes?
2. property taxes
3. horrible traffic
4. crime (though they at least have Texas Justice)
5. prefer a walkable neighborhood in a smaller town

On the other hand, Houston is really not such a bad place. It just didn't win the "gold medal" in the competition to be my #1 choice.

Today, Frank and I traveled to Huntsville, Alabama again, for a long weekend and we will give it a second look. It is still our #2, but I do not know exactly why!! It is a nice town. So, we shall see.
Be very careful - one guy I retired with(now a jobshopper) and another still working at the old rocket plant are making Huntsville type noises and maybe deserting Slidell. Both having worked there before with the NASA cats.

I liked my time there in 74/75 but am still sticking with Missouri - aka north of KC.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #16

Ok, for near Houston.
We retired on Lake Livingston. We have a 3,000 sf, all brick home with guest quarters on a one acre lot with 170 ft. of lake front, underground utilities, sewer not septic. Cost less than $300,000.

In the summer we can sit on the deck for breakfast and dinner. July and August a little hot for lunch. Elect avg $75 a month Gas about the same. It is about 90 miles to the center of Houston. DW and I are able to live here for half our retirement income. If it really gets hot in the summer, we can take a long trip to a cooler place.

I would never retire in Houston, but there are great places about an hour north. Oh yea, property tax is $7000 a year, but it is frozen.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I would never retire in Houston, but there are great places about an hour north. Oh yea, property tax is $7000 a year, but it is frozen.
Someone told me property taxes were really low in Texas because of all the oil revenue.
$7000/year for 300k home is not low. I hope they unfreeze it for you.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good grief. Texas is a retirement hell-hole and Houston is the port of entry...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Lived in Houston for 7 years. Add to the list
Snakes in the pool
Bugs in the pool
Frogs in the pool
Crayfish in the pool
Giant cockroaches coming out of the AC vents and eating all the spices
Semi-bad traffic (better than Washington, worse than Phoenix)
Brown haze
Hurricanes and flooding
Non-hurricane related flooding
Water pipes breaking when it goes below freezing
No cheap parking in the medical center
Getting run over by suburbans (known locally as Texas Station Wagons).

On the other hand, there were some good restaurants there (Taste of Texas, Pappas chain, Kolache Factory)
and no State Income Tax (they get you on Sales Tax and Property Tax)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Be very careful - one guy I retired with(now a jobshopper) and another still working at the old rocket plant are making Huntsville type noises and maybe deserting Slidell. Both having worked there before with the NASA cats.

I liked my time there in 74/75 but am still sticking with Missouri - aka north of KC.

heh heh heh -
All the better for Frank, I suppose - - in case he needs to do a little job shopping once in a while after ER to make ends meet. He wouldn't even have to leave home.

A lot of guys working at that old rocket plant where you used to work are looking around, due to the publicly announced imminent layoffs related to shutting down the shuttle program. Others have already left. Just like the bad old days back in the 1980's, says Frank.

So far, we really prefer Missouri (Springfield, in our case). Just giving Huntsville one more chance.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote