Join Early Retirement Today

Why do I keep thinking today is Friday?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why do I keep thinking today is Friday?

It's so easy to get confused when you don't work. For some reason today keeps "feeling" like Friday, but then I realize I'm two days early.

I'm always getting confused about the day of the week.

My husband doesn't even bother figuring it out for himself. He'll occasionally have to ask me what day it is.

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Why do I keep thinking today is Friday?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
It's so easy to get confused when you don't work.* For some reason today keeps "feeling" like Friday, but then I realize I'm two days early.
I'm always getting confused about the day of the week.
My husband doesn't even bother figuring it out for himself.* He'll occasionally have to ask me what day it is.
I thought that every day was Saturday or Sunday, except for "Thank goodness it's Monday!"

If you wear a watch in retirement, the most important part of the display is the day of the week...

I'm happier without a watch, but that means my calendar is in the context of terms like "the day after tae kwon do practice" or "the day before I shave".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And sometimes you forget that's it's a holiday. I've been embarrassed a few times when I said to the next door neighbor, "Hey, you're taking the day off today?" only for him to say, "Most people have the day off on Labor Day."
Old 08-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh I've definitely been in the "Thank Goodness it's Monday" camp!

And with RV living, these holiday weekends can be a bummer as the campgrounds get packed to the hilt.

But I must admit the Friday afternoon "Camper Arrival Show" is almost worth the crowded weekend - LOL!

Audrey
Old 08-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1

But I must admit the Friday afternoon "Camper Arrival Show" is almost worth the crowded weekend - LOL!
Second only to the always hilarious "Boat Launch Follies". Amazing how much entertainment value there is in something that appears to be so simple. But hey, I've starred in the show myself on more than one occasion...

Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's funny you brought this up. I had a conversation with a friend a coupole weeks ago about when we could get together for an ATV ride. I said how bout day after tomarrow, Saturday? He said day after tomarrow is Thursday. I have lost track of the day during the week pretty consistantly. I wear a watch w/ the date...so, I know what day of the month it is.......thats good enough.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes, this is something I've noticed since retiring!* Often confused about what day it is.*

I guess I usually think it's Saturday, because I'm often surprised that I can check out the market on a day when I didn't have to work.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Administrator

You guys are killing me. As a wage slave, I know precisely what day it is.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My computer has a clock in the lower right corner. Put the pointer on it, the day and date appears. Double click it and a calendar appears. I'm usually suprised by what day it is. At work, weeks lasted a long time. Now months fly by in RE.
Joe
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

If I REALLY want to know what time it is, I can look at the icon on my computer.* If I REALLY want to know what day it is, I can look at the newspaper or hold the cursor on the time icon.*

Or I can ask someone who still wears a watch.* I took mine off in March, and don't miss it a bit.

Try it.* We're ER'd people; it IS always Friday!

8)
obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:16 AM   #11

I haven't lost track of the days yet. The post office is empty on Tuesday. DW and I like to go out dancing. Thursdays offer live music and no cover. Friday matinees are cheap and free of crowds. Shopping on Saturday s()cks because stores are so busy. Sunday my Mormon neighbors have some sort of church group come over and fill the cul-de-sac with their parked cars. This only matters to me because I try not to mow my lawn while they are meeting. I do different exercise routines on Monday, Wednesday and Friday than I do on other days. Driving across town should never be done on weekdays during rush hours. . .

I may be retired, but I haven't given up living or noticing the daily rythms of life.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

instead of TGIF* its* *SH*T (so happens its thursday)* *"
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #13

Some guy wrote a magazine article several years ago about taking 50 days off from work. One of the things he commented about was how he stopped wearing his watch and lost track of time and the days of the week.

Without the regular rhythms of the workweek to remind me of the days of the week (if this is the command staff meeting today must be Tuesday) I have sometimes been surprised halfway through the day with the realization that I'm not sure if today is Tuesday or Thursday. With summer vacation over and the kids back in school, it is their routine that helps me keep weekdays separate from weekends.

The real pain in the neck is that I wear my self-winding watch so seldom that it stops. Whenever I feel the need to wear it I have to figure out what date it is so I can set the darn thing.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I check the computer first thing in the morning to make sure what day it is; then I pull up a spreadsheet to see what needs to be done.

I had to dress up a bit to go to funeral in May; and discovered that all of my watches had run down!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyday is Saturday except Sunday. The paper is biggest on Sunday. Otherwise it is like a Saturday. Life is simpler now.
Elderdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #16

When DW and I took a cruise they had a small carpet in each of the elevators with the day of the week
It was very helpful
Old 09-07-2006, 06:43 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am one month into my retirement and I noticed the other day that the battery in my watch had run out, but I do not know when it happened. Was it days ago or weeks ago?....