Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know a number of friends and relatives who cite these reasons to explain why they won't retire early. As long as they don't try to sell these ideas to me, I don't really care. When the very few do try to suggest to me to consider working again, I just tell them to get lost. I'm retired, happy and free and that's what matters. And if I can help it, I don't ever want to work again. There is no "right" or "wrong" decision in ER - it is a personal decision.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This board has a simple purpose-collecting eyeballs, who justify higher ad rates. If not the absolute most popular category of thread, this type is right up there. Throw a helpless piggie out in the arena, let him run around and show how fat and easily slaughtered he is, and count on the membership to destroy him completely. After all, the judges are also drawn from the same population as are the lions, so the outcome is guaranteed to be edifying, and thus very helpful for business.

Ha
Good point. I think I'll head over to Bogleheads. I hear there is a new thread regarding the superiority of managed funds from Ameriprise.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, talk about horse meat reminded me of a recent thread, where I recounted my failed effort when vacationing in Switzerland and trying to make a day trip down to Northern Italy to try a regional dish: donkey stew.

Just recently looked up on the Web, and what do I know? Horse meat is also so popular there that they even have jars of baby food with it.

Now, it makes me even more curious. Might have to make a special trip just to sample some equine dishes.

No thanks, I only eat turtles, snappers, green, river cooters.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #24

Quote:
.Now, it makes me even more curious. Might have to make a special trip just to sample some equine dishes
While a horse lover in general, I can think of one or two mean spirited nags I would probably donate to your cause ... Having bitten me, I can think of no more poetic ending for them.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I usually talk bigger than I act. That applies to trying exotic meat as well as making investments.

I went to Florida several times, each time saying I would try alligator meat, each time failed to carry through. It is just like chicken, they say. Finally, had it in a soup, in a restaurant in the Vancouver Island, BC, a most unlikely place to have it! Yep, it was just like chicken.

A restaurant near me used to have fried rattlesnake nuggets. One day, decided to go there to try it, but they no longer have it on menu. Guess, I will have to go to Texas now.

In Sydney, I made a reservation at a downtown restaurant specialized in 'roo meat. I got cold feet and made a no-show. A fellow forum member told me that I missed out, that it was my loss.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
I usually talk bigger than I act. That applies to trying exotic meat as well as making investments.

I went to Florida several times, each time saying I would try alligator meat, each time failed to carry through. It is just like chicken, they say. Finally, had it in a soup, in a restaurant in the Vancouver Island, BC, a most unlikely place to have it! Yep, it was just like chicken.

A restaurant near me used to have fried rattlesnake nuggets. One day, decided to go there to try it, but they no longer have it on menu. Guess, I will have to go to Texas now.

In Sydney, I made a reservation at a downtown restaurant specialized in 'roo meat. I got cold feet and made a no-show. A fellow forum member told me that I missed out, that it was my loss.
Not missing much by not having tried rattlesnake, except maybe some shock value with friends. Alligator does not have a strong flavor so seasoning and prep make all the difference. Kangaroo meat is tasty, sausage even better, as is wild boar. Game meat can be very tasty but needs a skilled hand in the kitchen and decent recipes.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've occasionally seen rattlesnake meat for sale at some upscale grocery stores at $30 a pound.

If it costs 10 times as much as chicken and it tastes like chicken.... I'm sticking with chicken!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've occasionally seen rattlesnake meat for sale at some upscale grocery stores at $30 a pound.

If it costs 10 times as much as chicken and it tastes like chicken.... I'm sticking with chicken!
I would not have a problem eating rattlesnake meat. However, at $30/# I would find it hard to swallow.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #29

I sure hope the author of that article, "Phillip Moeller", follows his own advise. I wonder if he has any funds put aside or will work till he dies?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I would not have a problem eating rattlesnake meat. However, at $30/# I would find it hard to swallow.
Sure, if you serve it to me, I'll try it. And if it costs the same as chicken (or close to it), I'd consider buying a little. It just seems funny that people would pay 10x the price of chicken for something that really *does* taste like chicken...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #31

I would hope those rattlesnakes are farm raised rattlesnakes, and not wild caught. Farm raised would be more tender since they are fed farm raised mice...

Wonder where that's going to go...
Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I would hope those rattlesnakes are farm raised rattlesnakes, and not wild caught. Farm raised would be more tender since they are fed farm raised mice...

Wonder where that's going to go...
But if farm raised rattlesnakes are like farm raised fish, they are full of artificial stuff that is bad for us. Better something from the wild, 'cause there's nothing artificial out there.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not farm raised...and chicken isn't on the menu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake17.jpg (20.0 KB, 137 views)
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I hope the OP keeps working. Dude, pay for my SS!

Its' not only patriotic to pay taxes, we're all counting on YOU!

Don't stop working...please! Meanwhile, I'll be out at the pool.

And thanks!
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #35

Corndog platter is clearly the smokin' deal there.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
help the rest of us...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

help the rest of us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM View Post
Sounds like the Op should also add:

Delay Taking SS - until you die. That away you will get a higher monthly amount (if you were still alive)...
and it will help the rest of us...
+1
everything else is pure b*nk - to keep us working for (Health) benefits.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #37

Here is what we should all be thinking about.

1. Retire from: Do we dislike our job, have plenty of money, lots of plans for the future.....retire!

2. Retire to: Are we short of retirement funds, like our job, would just sit on the porch and eat all day after we retire? ........keep on working!

There is no simple answer. I've enjoyed my career, have enough to retire but am working because I'm needed until others are trained. I'm a little afraid, however, that when retired I'll butt into house issues upsetting my DW, eat too much, bad for my health and spend too much since I'll have all day to spend shopping.

But I do enjoy the forum, I learn a lot and it helps me as I think about the future.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
I'm a little afraid, however, that when retired I'll butt into house issues upsetting my DW, eat too much, bad for my health and spend too much since I'll have all day to spend shopping.
I think the shopping one is easily handled. Men often hate shopping, and older men tend to hate it more, as nothing we can buy in a store is going to do much for our appearance. Eating is also easy. Go on a low carb, low salt diet. Your health may or may not improve, but you will lose weight as your food will taste awful. You are going to be starving before you will endure seconds. It will even be easy to exercise. Just make it a rule that you must clean the kitchen including walls and floors if you haven't exercised for at least 45 minutes. On alternate days make the no exercise punishment cleaning the toilet, included that hard to reach area beind the toilet seat. And you wife gets to inspect it and must approve of your work before you can go lie down.

Avoiding upset wives, I can't help with as I upset mine enough that she broke camp, and I decided to do without a replacement.

Ha
Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #39

I could not have said it better. My view exactly. I am still thinking of FIREing later this year, but keeping a part time position at a couple of clinics - maybe a day or two a week, to keep my mind active.
Quote:
There is no simple answer. I've enjoyed my career, have enough to retire but am working (...) I'm a little afraid, however (...) But I do enjoy the forum, I learn a lot and it helps me as I think about the future.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is what we should all be thinking about.

1. Retire from: Do we dislike our job, have plenty of money, lots of plans for the future.....retire!

2. Retire to: Are we short of retirement funds, like our job, would just sit on the porch and eat all day after we retire? ........keep on working!

There is no simple answer.
Seems simple enough...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote