Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Is there an emoticon that means "I'm serious"?
Yes.

It uses the letters I, m, s, e, r, i, o, and u, along with some punctuation.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I read it as "drag" their feet, as in delaying finding a replacement for a departing employee.

Drag is correct....I should not try to post so late at night.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Why I am retiring in 2012

Thanks for the encouragement. Meetings went well, bus rides too long, but a weekend has passed andhad moments of relaxation and almost thought, hey, maybe I'm making too much of this stress thing, and....but, was back to the management crises yesterday.

Bought book: "Retire happy, wild, and free" on the weekend and am keeping this by my bedside for next 7 months!

Again, thank you!

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I found the 6 months between making a decision and announcing it some of the most difficult of my career. I had a strong urge to tell people (management and friends at work) about my decision so that they could plan but realized that I really couldn't. A lame duck manager can't make any decisions stick. My upper management would have used their knowledge of my plans to give me a bunch of S***T work I couldn't refuse or otherwise have made my life difficult. My best day was when I was able to tell the VP (my bosses boss) that he better find someone else to put together next year's budget for my department because I wasn't going to do it. This was my 60 day notice of my retirement.

It became much easier once my decision was in the open, my replacement was named, and I could concentrate on handing over the reins.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Why I am retiring at start of 2012

Just checking in as I get closer....can almost smell it.

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Im 135 days out, and find that I am treated like a ghost now that people cant benefit from me anymore in the rat race. But it really just makes me know that Im making the right decision. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #27

I haven't decided how much notice to give. I can retire in January of 2013, so not so far out. For some of the reasons cited in other posts, I don't think I want to give too much notice, even though I'm not a manager. 15 months, 8 days.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor guy View Post
I found the 6 months between making a decision and announcing it some of the most difficult of my career.

It became much easier once my decision was in the open, my replacement was named, and I could concentrate on handing over the reins.
I can empathize. I am making the announcement in January. Every since I made the decision last August, I swear that the earth's rotation has slowed (which might account for this horrible weather). How can it only be October!!!

I so want to go now!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't think my senior managers could draw a stick figure, let alone their feet...and why would they want to? I tried to read it other ways, e.g. "draw their fees" "drag their feet" but it still doesn't make sense

Amethyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I read it as "drag" their feet, as in delaying finding a replacement for a departing employee.

Actually, the drawing of feet is one of the key indicators that it is past time to retire.
Sigh, I still remember the day I got totally disgusted--I threw down my laptop, grabbed a pad of paper and drew my feet..Felt goood..
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

254 days until I retire. I am so looking forward to it. But, they are making it tough. More to do, less resources, and constant pressure. Management will help me do the work - they will let me work all the upaid overtime I need. In the midst of all of this work, they keep doing things that make it harder to get things done. Delayed decisions, adding urgent items that are not important, and spreading resources so thin that little is ever done as well as it should be.

OK, I am still venting!! Sorry.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope its not because of the Mayan Calendar...

Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Small business
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Small business

I owned a small consulting company for 25 years. Small meaning "me" retiring is just as hard and walking away is very difficult. But I must say being in business for yourself is not what it use to be. Some days I wish I could just walk out the door. Working for a company seems like a good deal these days. The military voices on this site seem to have it made in the shade. That is what I have been suggesting to my relatives.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwest View Post
Im 135 days out, and find that I am treated like a ghost now that people cant benefit from me anymore in the rat race. But it really just makes me know that Im making the right decision. Good luck!!!!
Sometimes being a "ghost" is the best position you can have. You find out your true value to the company (exchangeable cog), and who your true friends are at work (none).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

For all you ghosts out there - a demotivational poster:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retirement poster.jpg (63.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
"Only 7 months, only 7 months,...."

Repeat the mantra each night for 30 days, then change it to "Only 6 months, only 6 months,...."

The time will soon pass. Meanwhile, feel free to vent here as often as needed.
I counted the days. I had them in big numbers on my wall and changed them everyday starting at 320.

I practiced using the phrase when someone asked me a question: I would look thoughtfully, scrunch up my brow as if I was thinking, and then look them right in the eyes and say: "Perhaps.... Perhaps.... You may have confused me with someone who actually gives a **** about this." And then I would smile, and tilt my head sideways slightly.

My company gave me a watch in the end... for 33 years of hard work. And then..... eliminated my position.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Sometimes being a "ghost" is the best position you can have. You find out your true value to the company (exchangeable cog), and who your true friends are at work (none).
Yeah.... and when in the end, your position is completely eliminated, how does that feel?