Join Early Retirement Today

Why I am retiring at the start of 2012
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Why I am retiring at the start of 2012

Update on my "retirement job" in senior management:

Tomorrow, I am on a 3 hour bus ride each way, leaving home at 5:15 AM for a 6 hour board meeting, reception to follow, catching a bus home at 8:00PM. Our organization is imploding. I am making 3 presentations, have gained and lost and gained 20 pounds over last three years.

Our ER numbers work, I am only working at this because I committed to good colleagues to see a few projects through to the end of the year...then, adios.

Thank you for listening to my vent! Now, i can go to bed a little less stressed. And, for any of you who may "miss" the management world...don't.

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Thanks for reminding the retired members of why retirement seemed like such a good idea in the first place! My sympathies and I hope the time speeds by for you between now and 2012.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #3

"Only 7 months, only 7 months,...."

Repeat the mantra each night for 30 days, then change it to "Only 6 months, only 6 months,...."

The time will soon pass. Meanwhile, feel free to vent here as often as needed.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are very welcome to join the class of 2012!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Press on! It will seem like forever, but once you leave it will have seemed to fly by. I too thank you for reminding us why we left and never went back. It's like night and day, and sometimes it's nice to be reminded why retirement is so great!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, you helped me feel beter the Tuesday of next week is MY LAST DAY
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, two things are for sure:
1. You are more certain than ever that RE is for you. And
2. You continue to honour the "I" in the word Integrity.

Hang in there. Doing good for the benefit of others is never in vein, even if it feels so at the time.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Piano,

These executive positions are not always a bed of roses that most believe and its never worth an impact on your health. While I wasn't a senior exec, I retired from Director position in an Fortune 10 company some year back as it was literally killing me. Best decision I ever made. Good luck on the 2012 ER.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #9

I got out of IT management almost 15 years ago and became an IT consultant. Now I am just semi retired. I never realized how stressful the job was until I left.

Problems now wait until the next working day. It good to go to work on Monday and not remember or care what you were working on the previous Thursday. (Friday is my day off).
Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano88 View Post

Tomorrow, I am on a 3 hour bus ride each way, leaving home at 5:15 AM for a 6 hour board meeting, reception to follow, catching a bus home at 8:00PM. Our organization is imploding. I am making 3 presentations, have gained and lost and gained 20 pounds over last three years.

Our ER numbers work, I am only working at this because I committed to good colleagues to see a few projects through to the end of the year...then, adios.

Thank you for listening to my vent! Now, i can go to bed a little less stressed. And, for any of you who may "miss" the management world...don't.
I hear you. On the 18th, I got up at 3:45am to drive 2 hrs to a meeting/presentation with 120 suits, drive back, work for a while and then meetings with my hourly workforce from 6:00 to 8:00pm same day. Management is good days and hellish days like any other job. But I have 19 work days left, so I can bring on a smile any time I want these days. And most of the distasteful stuff I do these days, I say to myself 'this is the last time I have to do this [hehe]...'

Retired Jun 2011 at age 57
Target AA: 55% equity funds / 40% bond funds / 5% cash
approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Target WR: approx 2.5%
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #11

Quote:

Tomorrow, I am on a 3 hour bus ride each way, leaving home at 5:15 AM for a 6 hour board meeting, reception to follow, catching a bus home at 8:00PM. for any of you who may "miss" the management world...don't.
In my former mega-corp "senior management" could get the company jet. Buses are for "others".

Where did you work, again?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
In my former mega-corp "senior management" could get the company jet. Buses are for "others".

That may be true in Canada where you live, but that is not true for all U.S. companies. Also working people do not always want to broadcast the name of the company they plan to retire from on a retirement board on the internet a year before they retire.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #13

Quote:
That sort of thing is the reason I turned down what would have been a financially lucrative job in the DC area when I retired. We still look at the DC area TV traffic reports and think "Gawd, how can those people do that every day?"

Where I'm "working" now is so easy, the people are generally laid-back and easygoing (with the few inevitable exceptions) that I find I don't mind it at all. This weekend I'll be "working", but this morning I'm going to check out a few library books and will have them read by Tuesday.

It's not exactly a high-stress environment.

And contrary to popular belief in the DC area West Virginians do have 'lectricity, indoor plumbin' and broadband Internet.

So there are alternatives.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
gone traveling

Welcome to the 2012 class. I intend to retire in July 2012, at age 47.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #15

I understand your pain. I did much the same thing. My ER date was the end of 2007...we planned it and I was about to pull the trigger when my boss took another job and the only other option to replace him on a temporary basis was a jerk that everyone disliked for his gross dishonesty and poor judgement....not something you need in a pharmaceutical Quality Assurance department head. My arm was twisted and I agreed to do the job while they searched for a replacement...I stayed 5 months and they were still no closer to finding anyone so I gave an ultimatum and they still failed to respond so I walked exactly when I said I would and never looked back.

Being charitable is noble as long as you don't get stabbed in the back while you are doing it. After it is all said and done no one will remember you stuck it out for them. But, we all hope that our contributions and sacrifices are at least noted if not rewarded...but alas, that is rarely the case since the only folks to truly come out a head in this situation is upper management because it gives them time to draw their feet which is heaven for them.

Anyway, Welcome to the Class of 2012...sure hope the world does not end and you retired too late. But if it does, at least you won't be at work when it happens.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Quote:

That may be true in Canada where you live, but that is not true for all U.S. companies. Also working people do not always want to broadcast the name of the company they plan to retire from on a retirement board on the internet a year before they retire.
I thought the smiley might signify that the post was, at least partly, in jest.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #17

End of the year is not far away at all. Just remember all these horrors if you are tempted to defer ER when end of the year comes. In the meantime, stay strong and think of the good days that will come. I ER 9 months ago and the last working year was only bearable because I knew when I was going to ER.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #18

I agree with all your sentiments, but did I miss out on some kind of insider joke? I don't think my senior managers could draw a stick figure, let alone their feet...and why would they want to? I tried to read it other ways, e.g. "draw their fees" "drag their feet" but it still doesn't make sense

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I since the only folks to truly come out a head in this situation is upper management because it gives them time to draw their feet which is heaven for them.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I tried to read it other ways, e.g. "draw their fees" "drag their feet" but it still doesn't make sense.
I read it as "drag" their feet, as in delaying finding a replacement for a departing employee.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #20

Quote:
I thought the smiley might signify that the post was, at least partly, in jest.

Well, it came across to me as braggadocio.

Is there an emoticon that means "I'm serious"?