Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Apart from the shoveling/driving in snow and ice, it's a lot easier to add layers when you are cold than it is to strip to less than naked when it's too damn hot.
Boy ain't that the truth! I'll take 20 vs 90 any day.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I'll take 20 vs 90 any day.
Me too...especially if they look like Megan Fox!!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I quite enjoy a 90 degree at the beach, especially when the humidity is low. Give me a palapa, a cold beer and some binoculars...right now the ocean water temp is about 86 degrees. Warmer than most pools.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #184

Quote:
Apart from the shoveling/driving in snow and ice, it's a lot easier to add layers when you are cold than it is to strip to less than naked when it's too damn hot.
Um, that's why they make air conditioners.

I've always disliked cold weather and still prefer the original retirement plan of putting the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and driving south until people started asking what that machine was for. All I have to do is convince DW.

I've tried multiple layers to the point where I can hardly move, polar thermals, thick hats/gloves and all the rest. It's still too darn cold.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #185

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: December 02, 2012 02:40:26 MST

Today: Mostly sunny. Highs 69 to 74.

Monday: Partly cloudy. Highs 68 to 73.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny. Highs 70 to 75.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny. Highs 70 to 75.

Thursday through Saturday: Partly cloudy. Highs 64 to 74.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've tried multiple layers to the point where I can hardly move, polar thermals, thick hats/gloves and all the rest. It's still too darn cold.
Reminds me of Ralphie's little brother in "A Christmas Story".

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Its hitting mid 80s here during the day, low 60s at night. Perfect!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I quite enjoy a 90 degree at the beach, especially when the humidity is low. Give me a palapa, a cold beer and some binoculars...right now the ocean water temp is about 86 degrees. Warmer than most pools.
I don't think I've ever been at the beach with low humidity. How is that possible?

OK, maybe right after the passage of a strong cold front with north winds still blowing, but in that case you wouldn't hit anywhere near 90 degrees.

It doesn't take much to get that saltwater into the air.....

Hmmm - I guess it's Puerto Vallarta. Never along the US Gulf Coast or Atlantic, or Pacific even (where the water is never that warm).
Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #189
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Plus, it takes forever to get ready to go out, then more time to take it all off again once your back inside. Wears me out...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Plus, it takes forever to get ready to go out, then more time to take it all off again once your back inside. Wears me out...
Plus it takes a good hour for your shoulders to relax from the up-around-the-shoulders cold weather hunching.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Plus it takes a good hour for your shoulders to relax from the up-around-the-shoulders cold weather hunching.
Not only that, but the wind gets so bad (around here, anyway) that no matter what you do, you look like an insane monster in a Vincent Price movie when you get where you're going!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't think I've ever been at the beach with low humidity. How is that possible?
Unlike the gulf, the Pacific breezes lower the humidity. Anything around 60% or below is very comfortable. Right now it is about 68% with a breeze.

In the sun it can get hot. We were installing some electrical connections on a friend's boat on Friday, and the sun was hot. But as soon as we sat in the shade, the breezes cooled us off.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #193
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
It's easier to warm up than it is to cool off for a Swede like me
You mean you don't like mid-summer? ...

I wor*ed in Gothenburg (Göteborg) for more than a few years (traveling there several times a month - still miss the Toast Skagen).

BTW, I'm with you; I perfer the cold climate (with a decent summer) and hate constant heat (yes, I lived in Texas/Florida)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've lived in my share of hot & cold climates, and one advantage of the human body is that it can adapt to both. I grew up in a home where winter meant thermostat settings in the 60s. I used to frolic & gambol in Pittsburgh & Colorado winters and felt perfectly fine with layering and all those other cold-weather survival techniques.

I'm much happier in a tropical climate. It may seem "too damn hot" for the first year, but by the second year the human body is quite content. The more time you spend outdoors in either climate, even with layers and shade hats and other shielding, the faster you adapt. But once you've adapted to living in a warm climate, there's no goin' back to the cold ones.

Another advantage to a tropical climate: we don't have to use energy for heating or cooling. We've lived a year with our thermally-efficient renovations, and frankly the house is kinda cold these days. But it was great in August & September.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Unlike the gulf, the Pacific breezes lower the humidity. Anything around 60% or below is very comfortable. Right now it is about 68% with a breeze.
Like he says, tradewind cooling.

It's interesting to watch visitors & locals on Hawaii beaches. The visitors are all sprawled out in the sunniest spots, slathering on sunscreen and baking away. We locals are all back under the trees or the pavilions, or even pitching canopies.

Hawaii is nowhere near the humidity of Texas, but when my father visited Hawaii from Colorado he was always commenting on how humid it felt... and going to the beach was out of the question for him, even though Colorado gets far more UV exposure than Hawaii.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm much happier in a tropical climate. It may seem "too damn hot" for the first year, but by the second year the human body is quite content.
When in Riyadh I didn't go into the swimming pool until the water hit 100F.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
When in Riyadh I didn't go into the swimming pool until the water hit 100F.
Exactly. Out here I'm whimpering whenever the water temp dips below the mid-70s. I just spent $60 on a long-sleeve high-neck 2mm neoprene rashguard, and I sure hope it does the trick.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've lived in my share of hot & cold climates, and one advantage of the human body is that it can adapt to both. I grew up in a home where winter meant thermostat settings in the 60s. I used to frolic & gambol in Pittsburgh & Colorado winters and felt perfectly fine with layering and all those other cold-weather survival techniques.

I'm much happier in a tropical climate. It may seem "too damn hot" for the first year, but by the second year the human body is quite content. The more time you spend outdoors in either climate, even with layers and shade hats and other shielding, the faster you adapt. But once you've adapted to living in a warm climate, there's no goin' back to the cold ones.

Another advantage to a tropical climate: we don't have to use energy for heating or cooling. We've lived a year with our thermally-efficient renovations, and frankly the house is kinda cold these days. But it was great in August & September.

Like he says, tradewind cooling.

It's interesting to watch visitors & locals on Hawaii beaches. The visitors are all sprawled out in the sunniest spots, slathering on sunscreen and baking away. We locals are all back under the trees or the pavilions, or even pitching canopies.

Hawaii is nowhere near the humidity of Texas, but when my father visited Hawaii from Colorado he was always commenting on how humid it felt... and going to the beach was out of the question for him, even though Colorado gets far more UV exposure than Hawaii.
I don't think it ever gets to 90 degrees at the beach in Hawaii, right?

Trade winds or not, it was always humid at the beach in Fiji. I suspect it was because we were so much closer to the equator.

LOL - I never quite think of Hawaii as tropical. I know it's inside the Tropic of Cancer, but it's so much cooler than any other Pacific island I have visited, and so is the water.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Trade winds or not, it was always humid at the beach in Fiji. I suspect it was because we were so much closer to the equator.

LOL - I never quite think of Hawaii as tropical. I know it's inside the Tropic of Cancer, but it's so much cooler than any other Pacific island I have visited, and so is the water.
Here is a comparison right now. Granted it is nightime in Hawaii:

honolulu vs puerto-vallarta - Wolfram|Alpha

Could not get it to publish results. Basically the temperature and humidity are both lower in PV right now.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/share/cl...427edohovvv7nl
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Being a Hoosier transplanted to Texas, I'll take 2-3 months of Texas heat to 3-4 months of Indiana cold...

It is possible to dress adequately for the cold, but day after day of dragging out into the cold/dark, crunching through frozen/thawed/refrozen slush, gets really old really fast.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The air temperature? A few days a year.

The sand temperature? Every day.

The water temperature? Never!

Quote:
Ssshhhhhh... everybody will want to come here!