Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
More people in the world die from cold than heat. And unless you like winter sports, it has been shown to be unhealthy to sit around the house not getting enough exercise...people have a tendency to be more active in the warmer months...
Heh, dieing from cold only hurts for a little while.

I have been in hypothermia in Alaska several times. Could have just gone to sleep for a loooong time. But dammit, they thawed me out.

On second thought, it is a good thing, else I would have never learned to skate.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
More people in the world die from cold than heat. And unless you like winter sports, it has been shown to be unhealthy to sit around the house not getting enough exercise...people have a tendency to be more active in the warmer months...
That isn't a real hard problem to fix. Dress appropriately and get outside!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[channel Mr Rogers' voice] Can you say Snow Shovel ? I knew you could.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
[channel Mr Rogers' voice] Can you say Snow Shovel ? I knew you could.
SNow shovel? Where is teh fun in that? Insulated hiking boots, several layers, hiking/survival pack, a rifle if that is your idea of fun, and ito the woods!

- George Orwell

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
SNow shovel? Where is teh fun in that? Insulated hiking boots, several layers, hiking/survival pack, a rifle if that is your idea of fun, and ito the woods!
I prefer xcountry skiing. My hands (carpal tunnel, tendinitis) have actually recovered, after 5.5 years of FIRE, to the point where I think I can get back to that.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

I found the strange silence of winter surprising and unexpected - no dogs barking, no bird sounds, and no insect sounds and snow seems to act as a natural sound absorber.

In the middle of winter at -20 C or lower, water vapor from car exhausts does not evaporate and the excess of water vapor creates an eerie foglike appearance with halos around the street lights - and in the somber gloom of evening looks like the setting for a thriller movie.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
I found the strange silence of winter surprising and unexpected - no dogs barking, no bird sounds, and no insect sounds and snow seems to act as a natural sound absorber.
Yes. Or seeing everything transformed overnight by the year's first snowfall. It's beautiful, peaceful, and makes one very appreciative of having a warm home.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I prefer xcountry skiing. My hands (carpal tunnel, tendinitis) have actually recovered, after 5.5 years of FIRE, to the point where I think I can get back to that.
I have not tried it, but will eventually. I did buy a pair of snowshoes, which should be amusing.

- George Orwell

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I have not tried it, but will eventually. I did buy a pair of snowshoes, which should be amusing.
And exhausting. Fun, but very tiring. Also, take an avalanche course before you venture out into the mountains on snowshoes or skis. Our intuitive understanding is not really enough to be safe, and you really do not want to get avalanched.

Ha
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been living mostly abroad for about 5 years and prefer tropical climates. I don't find any climate in the USA optimal for year around living, as I find the winters too cold.

I actually tried to google before to find why so many Americans seem to prefer cold climates. I never want to see snow again. I grew up in the American Midwest (South Dakota, Iowa and Kansas). Now I find even Southern California too cool for me except in the summer (which is when I always try to visit).

Anyway, I find the climate to my liking here in the Philippines. I rarely use air conditioning (instead I use just fans). It is 2:30 in the afternoon here. My living room is 85 degrees, I have a fan running, and it is 64% humidity. I have windows on both sides for light and air flow and it is slightly overcast outside (the normal here). For me, this is about as comfortable as it gets. I am in shorts and will be leaving on my motorcycle now (no jacket needed!), the temperature only goes down to about 78 degrees in the middle of the night. Ah, the good life. I will go running in the early evening (admittedly, I would find 75 degrees the perfect temp for an intense run, versus the 82 degrees that I will encounter). But then I sweat more and lose more salt, ha ha.

Tomorrow afternoon I have my regular poker game, we play all afternoon. We play outside on my friend's covered patio near the pool. We usually run a ceiling fan. It is great year around. I have said goodbye to the cold forever in retirement.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And exhausting. Fun, but very tiring. Also, take an avalanche course before you venture out into the mountains on snowshoes or skis. Our intuitive understanding is not really enough to be safe, and you really do not want to get avalanched.

Ha
I am employed and have small kids, so all I have time for is occasionally playing hooky in the foothills. No avalanche risk to speak of.

Some day I will find the time to do a week long hunting and backpacking trip in one of the wilderness areas in the Colorado Rockies. Will need to find companions for that adventure.

- George Orwell

Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not around here! People pretty much limit their exercise to gyms or home gyms during the warmer months, here. There are a few diehards who run in the heat, but they are few and far between because the vast majority just cannot do it. Runners run on the indoor tracks in the gyms, as do walkers who also walk in the malls sometimes.

Besides, the heat makes a person feel indolent. Just watch an old black and white movie about the South - - people sitting around, fanning themselves and lolling about on the verandah. Before air conditioning, people used to sleep on second floor balconies or roofs to try to catch a little breeze so they could sleep.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There are a few diehards who run in the heat, but they are few and far between because the vast majority just cannot do it.
We used to run, early morning, in Riyadh, year round.......but there's almost zero humidity in that part of the country.........I recall a guy who worked in Jiddah, (on the Red Sea, where's it's HUMID), saying that, "In the summer there...you can run a mile...period".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

It's hard to play golf indoors, or kayak, or surf indoors. Or in freezing temperatures. I'll take being outside in hot weather any day.

DD and I both have this instinctive cold weather shoulder hunch no matter how warmly we are dressed; we know spring and warmer weather is here when we find our shoulders are relaxed.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes. Or seeing everything transformed overnight by the year's first snowfall. It's beautiful, peaceful, and makes one very appreciative of having a warm home.
I love the mornings we have hoarfrost! It is fascinating, almost other-worldly.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I love the mornings we have hoarfrost!
If it's cold enough to frost those up, it's way too cold for me.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Not just seems -- Believe it or don't, snow is an insulator (the fluffier, the higher the R-factor), and hence, a sound absorber. That's why it works for igloos.

Tyro
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If it's cold enough to frost those up, it's way too cold for me.
Thus the phrase "colder than a whore's heart"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #159

Winter is great. It kills the bugs.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #160
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny Ads - Remove Snow From Car - YouTube

Made me remember this funny commercial.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote