Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Winter is great. It kills the bugs.
and there's no motorcycles, 2 things I don't like in addition to heat and humidity. It's cool and comfortable not hot, humid and sweaty. I spend more time inside from June to late September than from November to late February and I don't do any winter sports. It's been nice and cool here, below normal for a couple of weeks. We had 1 +20F and 1 +17F morning and many in the 24-26 range. I heat with a woodstove and this is the best time of the year because it just gets colder with each passing week. I wish the temperature would not go above 40 until mid March and every night would be at least 25 or colder.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've already been daydreaming for about a month about leaving here to go to a warmer place. I just can not stand it when it drops below 50 degrees. I will plan on hibernating for the next 5 months as much as possible. I will try not to think about my electric bill increasing from ~$40/mo to ~$140-$250/mo thru April. I dread everytime I need to leave the house. It makes no difference how many layers I put on it's still cold and uncomfortable. Is it May yet
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
and there's no motorcycles, 2 things I don't like in addition to heat and humidity. It's cool and comfortable not hot, humid and sweaty. I spend more time inside from June to late September than from November to late February and I don't do any winter sports. It's been nice and cool here, below normal for a couple of weeks. We had 1 +20F and 1 +17F morning and many in the 24-26 range. I heat with a woodstove and this is the best time of the year because it just gets colder with each passing week. I wish the temperature would not go above 40 until mid March and every night would be at least 25 or colder.
When I was on active duty, guys like me were happy that guys like you volunteered to go to places like that... so that we wouldn't have to go there.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #164

Hawaii I could tolerate, I do not like the ocean but looking at it from the shore is OK, as it is not very hot (ocean breezes can make a big difference) or humid but around here summer is Hell for all possible assumptions.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I was on active duty, guys like me were happy that guys like you volunteered to go to places like that... so that we wouldn't have to go there.
I'll give you this. Hawaii has the greatest life expectancy of all states in the US of A. But then again, Minnesota is a close number two. Go figure.

List of U.S. states by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Hawaii's population is 42% Asian. Could that be the reason for their overall longer life expectancy?

Hawaiian consumption of Spam is also high. Could that be also a factor?

And about the Minnesotans, their long life could be due to the consumption of lutefisk. Just sayin'...

Now, suppose you combine the two in a dish. Oh la la.... Everybody could be a centenarian.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'll give you this. Hawaii has the greatest life expectancy of all states in the US of A. But then again, Minnesota is a close number two. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hawaii's population is 42% Asian. Could that be the reason for their overall longer life expectancy?
Yeah, unless you're Hawaiian. Broken down by race, Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders have some of the world's highest per-capita percentages of obesity and diabetes. For the rest of us Hawaii residents, skin cancer is up there. Even hepatitis B.

One of the longevity effects is the year-round outdoor lifestyle. (No seasonal affective disorder here.) However the main longevity factor is racial from the Japanese (particularly Okinawan) heritage.

Quote:
I'm sure that's part of a paleo diet, although I'm not sure which part of the paleo goes into a can of Spam...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Somehow, it does not surprise me that the native Hawaiians have some problems similarly to the native Americans. Something about genetics, I guess.

Anyway, Spam has all of the "paleo", I think. Come on! The cavemen could not afford to be choosy. So, Spam is the whole meal deal, most likely much less than what cavemen ate.

PS. It then must mean that the Okinawans lift up the entire island statistics. Amazing!

PPS. Who's to say that the paleo diet is good? What's the proof? Cavemen did not live to 100, right? Of course they succumbed to the saber-tooth tigers and the mammoths long before that ripe old age...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #169

Quote:
?..
Which happens to be made in, and by a company based in Minnesota!
Perhaps Minnesota is striving to take the #1 slot from Hawaii
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Somehow, it does not surprise me that the native Hawaiians have some problems similarly to the native Americans. Something about genetics, I guess.
Anyway, Spam has all of the "paleo", I think. Come on! The cavemen could not afford to be choosy. So, Spam is the whole meal deal, most likely much less than what cavemen ate.
PS. It then must mean that the Okinawans lift up the entire island statistics. Amazing!
PPS. Who's to say that the paleo diet is good? What's the proof? Cavemen did not live to 100, right? Of course they succumbed to the saber-tooth tigers and the mammoths long before that ripe old age...
By "genetic" it's a combination of taste buds and insulin resistance. Once you've started the "typical Western diet" then it's really hard to get excited about fish & poi.

I'm assuming that the cavemen ate everything but the "oink", too-- also assuming that's what actually goes into the Spam can. It's yummy, so I don't look at the nutrition label or ask too many awkward questions. The excuse for its local popularity is that it doesn't require refrigeration and helps after the hurricane while HECO is trying to put the electrical grid back together.

I agree with the paleo issues, and I'll let you know the results of my research in 50 or 60 years. I'm not a paleo fanatic but I've certainly benefited from cutting back on the carbs & grains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Which happens to be made in, and by a company based in Minnesota!
Perhaps Minnesota is striving to take the #1 slot from Hawaii
Kind of ironic, considering that Minnesota has much more natural refrigeration than Hawaii will ever possess...

Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

I go outside and play every.single.day. I garden, I play with the dogs, I feed the chickens. When I lived up north and had to stay inside because it was so cold and miserable, I considered it wasted time. I hated having animals, because I hated going outside to have to take care of them. I hated being cold, I hated the snow, I just hated.hated.hated. So I moved to Florida, and there hasnt hardly been a day where I couldnt slip on flip flops, tee shirts and shorts, or when it was cool, sweats, and still play outside and do what I want to do. Outside. No more wasted days.

I hated wasting days.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Some of the most fascinating things I LIKE about winter are...
The patterns of frost that form and spread across the vertical plexiglas panels on my outside porch.
The miniature ice crystals that grow on the edge of my front step railings are really cool when viewed with a magnifying glass.
A certain kind of snowfall that acts like tiny prisms and sparkles brilliantly on a sunny day.
The row of 30' pine trees along 1 side of my property look fabulous when frosted with a light snowfall or a thin coating of ice.
The cascades of ice waterfalls that form on outcrops of shale along the highway.

Then it is January...and February...and cabin fever sets in
Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think there is a time in your life when winter is great. After that, you become a snowbird. Skiing is free in Utah if you are 65+. I remember saying Wow I'll be back when I was 30 something. Never been back though in the winter.

(Typed from PV in front of a fan!)

I am with kramer and Nords. Leave winter to the norsemen!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I am with kramer and Nords. Leave winter to the norsemen!
Hey, if winter was such a great deal then the Vikings wouldn't have assaulted everything south of their country...

Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #175

We have lived in the cold climates over 30+ years and decided to move to the West Coast when we retire in about 5 years. As mentioned by others, we have to put up with the ice, snow, chilly wind, dryness in the winter and mosquitoes,heat, and humidity in the summer. Fall is pretty but short. The weather right now is 19 degree F, windy with snow on the ground. There are not too many outdoor activities in the winter other than cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice-fishing. If you enjoy solitude, you can always walk in many of the empty parks if paths were cleared of snow and ice. Most of the times the roads are plowed and deiced but still be slippery. Thus, driving in the winter could be hazardous. Travel time is least double or triple during a storm. Winter is tough for the roads, bridges, buildings, houses (driveway, windows, heaters) and cars and thus requires additional maintenance and repairs. The bottom line is that the winter in Minneapolis, MN is long and harsh, with six months of temperatures well below freezing and plenty of snow. However, one could still find good things in the winter, i.e., fireplaces, absence of mosquitoes and tornadoes, no yard work, outdoor sports (skiing, ice hockey, ice fishing, snow tubing) and the Winter Carnival. Despite all these "good" things, we prefer to live in a milder climate where you can walk in the parks, ride a bike, watch the flowers, sit outside to eat, play tennis, and so on.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

I recently saw a Web article that talked of the 25% unemployment rate of Swedish young people under the age of 25. Equally surprising to me was the news that the Sweden government encourages people to go to Norway to find job. Norway has a low unemployment rate, and the article said that there were many jobs staying unfilled.

Interesting! Why aren't there more people in Norway? I guess there's cold, and there's colder. Out of curiosity, I will need to research to see what those jobs in Norway entail.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Equally surprising to me was the news that the Sweden government encourages people to go to Norway to find job.
Apparently, from this story/movie, the Swedes used to go to Denmark:

Pelle the Conqueror - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have friends here in Mexico who commute from Wisconsin. They were just here for Thanksgiving and will be back at Christmas. Fortunately they have jobs that give them flexibility. Their 13 year-old daughter is starting to react. She is smart enough to withstand the absences from school but misses her friends.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

I like South Dakota

Cold-Shmold!!!

No worse than Chitcago, yet much more common sense

It's easier to warm up than it is to cool off for a Swede like me
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Apart from the shoveling/driving in snow and ice, it's a lot easier to add layers when you are cold than it is to strip to less than naked when it's too damn hot.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote