Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolandk View Post
We do have a few big snow storms a year but they don't usually slow us down.
Nothing better than a bare couple on a rug in front of a raging fire ...

Sorry; nothing better than a couple on a Bear rug in front of a raging fire ...

(hope that's PG enough for you on the forum..)

Some "winter sports" are better than others (and most are not in the Winter Olympics!)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Nothing better than a bare couple on a rug in front of a raging fire ...

Sorry; nothing better than a couple on a Bear rug in front of a raging fire ...

(hope that's PG enough for you on the forum..)

Some "winter sports" are better than others (and most are not in the Winter Olympics!)
Your sounding pretty frisky today, is the warm weather getting to you
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Your sounding pretty frisky today, is the warm weather getting to you
Thanks for the "compliment". My DW said I haven't been frisky ("risky" in younger days) for many a year.

I'm just having a good time. Heck, I/we are alive, FI, and retired.

Maybe it's due to an obit that was in the paper this past week (a former co-worker/woman who is the same age as we are) and you sit back and realize how good you actually have it, at the current time...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Really? A medical condition that depends on where you hang your hat? ...

BTW, DW/me are both 64, have lived in cold weather (part of the year) 95% of our lives, and neither have this condition.

Now if you can state (and reference) that there are no cases of Arthritis below the M/D line, maybe l'll take your observation as fact.

Just wondering...
Perhaps I was not clear. Anyone with rheumatoid arthritis can certainly attest to the affects of cold damp environment on joints. Early winter and early spring are particularly noteworthy, very unwelcome.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just don't GET it. So, on this hot, hot, hot July 4th I thought it might be entertaining to start a thread for people to complain about why they don't like living in a cold climate. Have at it!
I don't understand why people would put up with "extreme climates" of any nature.

This part of Oahu is a "Goldilocks climate". With the right insulation on the roof we don't need A/C, heat, ceiling fans, clothing, footwear, or other "essentials" of life.

Of course this is no fun for weather forecasters: "Highs today in the mid 80s, lows tonight in the mid 70s, tradewinds 10-15 knots, conditions should persist through 2020 with a hurricane or two!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't understand why people would put up with "extreme climates" of any nature.

This part of Oahu is a "Goldilocks climate". With the right insulation on the roof we don't need A/C, heat, ceiling fans, clothing, footwear, or other "essentials" of life.

Of course this is no fun for weather forecasters: "Highs today in the mid 80s, lows tonight in the mid 70s, tradewinds 10-15 knots, conditions should persist through 2020 with a hurricane or two!"
Hey Nords, my sister used to talk like that when they lived in the San Diego area. She always said they never gave a local weather report because everyone knew what it was going to be like that day, tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. Once in awhile, they would predict a storm so everyone could go outside and watch lightning which they seldom got to see and was a big event.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It costs more to heat a home to 70 if it's 0 outside than it does to cool a house to 70 if it's 100 outside.
Probably depends on your house and source of energy you use. Using natural gas for heat and electricity for cooling, my utility bills would prove you wrong. Though it has never hit 100 F for the past five summers we have lived here in MN. The hottest day of summer for the past years has been between 92F (2008) and 98F (2010). Immediately after moving into this house and watching our power bills while running AC pretty much constantly for the first summer, we pretty quickly adjusted thermostat to 88 during the day and to 82 only for four hours just before going to bed. Seems to work well for us and keeps our monthly power bills below $250 pain threshold. At today's power rates we would pay about $400 to 500 per month for keeping the house at 70 in July and August. Our highest combined NG and electrical bill is typically in January around $330.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played 36 holes of golf in 100 degree weather last 2 days. No complaints. I certainly wouldnt be playing in 30 degree temperatures. I love to wear tshirts and shorts daily instead of sweats, jeans, gloves, and jackets. I get the four seasons where I live, but I could certainly handle living in desert sw and making the yearly weeklong jaunt to the ski slopes and then leaving the snow behind. As long as a/c and showers are available,I certainly prefer the warmth.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Hey Nords, my sister used to talk like that when they lived in the San Diego area. She always said they never gave a local weather report because everyone knew what it was going to be like that day, tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. Once in awhile, they would predict a storm so everyone could go outside and watch lightning which they seldom got to see and was a big event.
Spouse and I grew up in cold climates, and we lived in some fairly chilly places for our first eight years of active duty, but when we were stationed in Hawaii it only took about 18 months to lose all our tolerance for cold weather.

After five years in Hawaii we were transferred to San Diego. I can remember sitting on a beach in Coronado in August, wearing jeans & shoes & socks and two shirts and a sweatshirt, freezing my butt off and thinking that I wasn't going to make it to Christmas.

Another 18 months passed and it was no longer as bad as that first week, but I still thought it was pretty chilly there in winter. And it was weird that it only rained two days a year...

These days I don't even like traveling north of 35 degrees latitude between November-March.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well I live up where some would consider NORTH, it's actually Toronto Ontario Canada. At the moment it's around 95 F and I don't have a problem with that, I prefer the heat to the cold and last winter was actually mild. In some parts of the US it was much colder then we got, go figure. To boot we hardly got any snow last winter.

I'll take some of the Texas heat, as long as I can get into an A/C house to cool down every so often and have an ice cold libation.

Bring it on!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For 25 consecutive year, we NJ-residents have taken our vacation in Fort Lauderdale in July. Since we swim, sail, scuba dive, etc we love it. But to live (and work) there in the summer? I think that's the equivalent of what we go thru in the winter.
Like Marathoner, I love running in the cold [when in Florida I'm out running by 5:30 AM and even then it's tough to run]. Back in NJ, on the days when there are snow or ice storms, we just don't drive. 99% of the time the roads are safely cleared the next day. So, all in all I prefer the northeast, although watching the NY Giants during a winter's game can test my "preference"!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hot or cold? Depends on how hot. Depends on how cold.

Because I cannot afford a place on the Californian coast (and they have earthquake, fire, traffic and all other stuff), I have two places so that I can play snowbird in the same state. And they are only 150 mi apart, while the elevation difference is greater than 5,500 ft. And when I get bored, I get in my RV. Life is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I like to wear T-shirts and shorts, and eating outdoors! Can't do that when it's a gazillion degrees below zero.

I think one is more restricted in colder climates.

All I need to do is watch the movie "Fargo" to remind myself.
I need to remind everyone that absolute zero is only 460 deg F below freezing. Not gazillion!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I suppose most of you would not like south MS. But for me there are only two months that are really hot, July and August. Played golf this morning before the temperature really got up there. Had a shower this PM which really felt nice. I am fortunate to spend a couple of weeks in AK fishing in August.
Other than the two months mentioned above, weather is fine. We can golf three or four days a week in the winter when is it not raining and the temp gets to 50 degrees F or above. Given my druthers, I would spend July and August near Asheville, NC and the other ten in USM.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

And I forgot to mention that of the two places where I have a home, the low place has a record high of 122F (50C) in the summer, while the high elevation place has a record low of -25F (-32C) in the winter.

If you have to choose just one of these two places, there will be times in the year where you will be miserable. But drive 150 mi, and, ah... Life is good again!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I need to remind everyone that absolute zero is only 460 deg F below freezing. Not gazillion!
I think Steelyman was also accounting for humidity and windchill...

Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Sure, but that fear of cold shows that he cannot be that "steely".

Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

For someone who spends all the non-frozen months evenings and weekends gardening I am extremely happy for living in a climate where I have very low likelihood for running into poisonous snakes, scorpions, fire-ants, and such. Our 7-8 month thaw season here is plenty long for me, and I am more than ready to take a break on gardening and transfer to my inside hobbies by November. Having lived 68% of my years in areas with a "real" winter, I have learned to deal with it quite well. Regarless, I like spending one week in the middle of every winter somewhere where temperatures get above 50 F during the day, just to warm my bones a bit.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

While I dislike the cold, I dislike dealing with snow even more. It turns to ice and is treacherous to drive and walk on. Then there's the fact my LBYM mentality won't allow me to pay someone to clear the driveway, so there are days when I literally am shovelling 3 times a day to keep up with the frequent lake-effect storms our area receives. (We average 100 inches every year of the white stuff.)

For me, shovelling is not akin to mowing the grass, which is done once a week in my area. I don't mind mowing at all. For me it is a part of gardening which I enjoy doing.

Someone above mentioned above that cold is 'painful' while heat is just 'uncomfortable'. That is how I see it too. After living through our very cold northern January and February I never complain about it being too hot in July and August. I just sit still and let the heat seep into my body and relish the realization that such will not be the case in a few months when layers upon layers of clothes and $$ to heat the house are required to be comfortable.

I suspect if I moved south to warmer climates, a constant string of extreme temperatues could get just as annoying as the cold I dislike.

So I guess I'm saying, that though I complain and very much dislike the snow and cold, in the end I'll put up with them rather than move south because the other 3 seasons are just too nice to give up.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
For 25 consecutive year, we NJ-residents have taken our vacation in Fort Lauderdale in July. Since we swim, sail, scuba dive, etc we love it. But to live (and work) there in the summer? I think that's the equivalent of what we go thru in the winter.
"!
When I first moved to Florida I was still working so I adapted to the locals life style which is in summer you go to the beach and enjoy all the water sports . We also enjoy the break from the crowds and take advantage of all the restaurant specials but frankly by late August or September I have to leave and visit elsewhere for awhile because summer is just too long .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an outdoor lifestyle.

I could survive in a location with cold winters or hot and humid summers but I prefer a more temperate climate and I'm more than willing to pay a little more and get a little less (in terms of house, etc.) to live in CA.

I recall running a 12 miler in the dark on one of the coldest days in Boston history and many runs and bike rides on hot, humid days in Maryland. In Maryland I preferred the winters to the summers. The winters were not that cold and you can always put on more layers but the summers are uncomfortable not matter what you wear. Those locations have many positive qualities and I enjoyed living there but year around weather is not one of them. In the Bay Area we don't get either extreme and being outdoors is enjoyable all year.

I use my bike for most local transportation, spend a lot of time outside and have the windows open in my house much of the year. IMHO the quality of my life would be lower if I lived in a climate where I spent most of my time going from one climate controlled environment to another climate controlled environment.
mb is offline   Reply With Quote