Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Im not sure Im reading this chart correctly. Does it mean that I could buy a 6 year old RV, travel the country for a year and then sell it and only lose $2500-$3000 from what I originally paid (assuming its well maintained)

I believe you are reading it correctly...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Im not sure Im reading this chart correctly. Does it mean that I could buy a 6 year old RV, travel the country for a year and then sell it and only lose $2500-$3000 from what I originally paid (assuming its well maintained)
Yes, but remember this chart represents an average of what you should expect based on history and things do change. RV prices dropped steeply during the double whammy of high fuel prices followed by the market crash. For a year or so you probably couldn't have sold at all, much less at these prices.

That said, under "normal" circumstances if you owned a reasonably well-thought of brand and you sold it yourself rather than as a trade in or on consignment, your statement above is correct.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That said, under "normal" circumstances if you owned a reasonably well-thought of brand and you sold it yourself rather than as a trade in or on consignment, your statement above is correct.
Or so we are all hoping all believe.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

i have a 2001 S&S built fl112 conversion. 26' long box, 37' overall, 8' ceiling, 10k onan quiet diesel generator, no slides. 430 hp, 1,680 ft. lbs. tq., 10 speed auto stick. we love it. has 70,000 miles on it now. we used to drag race & towed our trailer with it. sold the racing operation 6 years ago & still love the S&S hauler. we camp in it at least 4 weeks a year. i would definetely buy another S&S built conversion, only longer.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
we used to drag race & towed our trailer with it.
That must have been interesting -- while towing a trailer even! Amazing that you found any enough competitors.

Nice rig, in any event.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That must have been interesting -- while towing a trailer even! Amazing that you found any enough competitors.

Nice rig, in any event.
LOL, let me clarify what i raced, it was a 1,450 hp blown alcohol 1940 willys coupe. ran 7.02 @ 195 in the 1/4 mile.

i had to do some "out of position" welding when i built the car.
my old rottweiler Sammy was helping me. not a day goes by that i do not miss him.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
So after all the posts, I guess OPs opinion has not changed.
It has been interesting reading so far and some good info. As I originally mentioned, "sucks" was rather harsh, but it did get people posting!

I guess what I like to imagine and what is reality, offer differ. What I would like to imagine is a "loaded & ready to go machine" and the moment we feel bored, we could hop in and just go. I like the spontaneity, freedom and adventure in that!

But when I observe what the local RVing crowd is doing, along with what I see on the web, it looks much less appealing.

I have traveled a fair bit and could afford other travel methods describe in some of these posts, but to a certain extent they lack the spontaneity.

So after discussing with DW, I think we'll likely own a decent RV once the kids are gone and use it when we feel up to it. But also travel and live in other parts of the world for extended periods of time (as we had always imagined). That way I know it will sit for long periods of time unused and won't feel bad about not using it.

Perhaps there will be enough good places and Audreyh1s on the road to offset the bad.

E86S54
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #228
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
It has been interesting reading so far and some good info. As I originally mentioned, "sucks" was rather harsh, but it did get people posting!

I guess what I like to imagine and what is reality, offer differ. What I would like to imagine is a "loaded & ready to go machine" and the moment we feel bored, we could hop in and just go. I like the spontaneity, freedom and adventure in that!

But when I observe what the local RVing crowd is doing, along with what I see on the web, it looks much less appealing.

I have traveled a fair bit and could afford other travel methods describe in some of these posts, but to a certain extent they lack the spontaneity.

So after discussing with DW, I think we'll likely own a decent RV once the kids are gone and use it when we feel up to it. But also travel and live in other parts of the world for extended periods of time (as we had always imagined). That way I know it will sit for long periods of time unused and won't feel bad about not using it.

Perhaps there will be enough good places and Audreyh1s on the road to offset the bad.

E86S54

You serious about that, Clark e86s54?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cousin_Eddie.jpg (20.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

E86S54,

We have been doing the RV thing for about 5 years now primarily because we were looking for a diffrent way of vacationing. Both my wife and I have traveled extensively and we just got tired of plane travel all the time (we still love Hawaii and Europe.. actually Asia and Australia and South America and every else too). We have a pretty high end RV (43' long with 1.5 baths) and like to bring the comforts of home with us but we also bring kayaks, bicycles, golf clubs, basketball etc with us. Most of our RV trips we barely spend any time at the park / resort. We generally are on the water or bicycle or hiking to explore where we are. I do agree there are a limited number of real resort type accomodations, I wish there were more. Planning to RE in about 19 months and will go on the road for as long as the mood strikes us (my guess is at least 9 months). We have gone cross country once with a travel trailer and had a ball, the only problem is we were limited on time. Each time we stopped we wanted to explore more.. One of the best things I have found about doing this is the fun in research and planning. I do most of the research on campgrounds / routes and we work out an activity plan. We have hit a few places which were not so great so we just moved on, but most of the time we have a great time.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who cares what the local RV crowd is doing? There is no rule that says you have to do what they do. An RV is simply an apartment on wheels. Move it where you want and do what you want once you get there . . . that can include everything from attending a symphony to backpacking in the wilderness. What you do is entirely up to you.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #231
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Who cares what the local RV crowd is doing? There is no rule that says you have to do what they do. An RV is simply an apartment on wheels. Move it where you want and do what you want once you get there . . . that can include everything from attending a symphony to backpacking in the wilderness. What you do is entirely up to you.
Well put.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Sure, I guess I've always observed people to get a sense of things.

I guess in these posts I wanted a better sense from people who are or have done it and to a certain extent done that.

I think I will do the "rent before you buy" thing.

Regards...E86S54
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
RV'ing not for me but I sure like passing them in my M6 up in the mountains.
Danmar...perhaps you'd be the only one on this thread that would know what my handle means!

E86 S54
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #234
gone traveling

Quote:
Danmar...perhaps you'd be the only one on this thread that would know what my handle means!

E86 S54
tal vez, tal vez no...
(Yo tengo un BMW a mi mismo-deseo de conducir hacia el sur de la frontera)

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I originally mentioned, "sucks" was rather harsh, but it did get people posting
So, then, the most important take-away you should have gotten, from this thread, is that you don't need to use subtrefuge to gain knowledge from this bunch.

(Did you notice how the thread just carried on as if you didn't exist.)
Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sure, I guess I've always observed people to get a sense of things.

I guess in these posts I wanted a better sense from people who are or have done it and to a certain extent done that.

I think I will do the "rent before you buy" thing.

Regards...E86S54
I just think that your observations have just been very limited.

It would be better to think about where you want to travel in North America, and then whether traveling by RV would enhance the experience for you or not.

RV rallies are popular. I see them a lot. They are especially popular with regional/local groups who do short RV get togethers. They do nothing for me however - not my idea of fun at all. I RV to enjoy a location (and have my own place there) and to be able to travel at my own pace. I'm not into the "socializing" part of RVing, although I do enjoy chatting with friendly neighbors.

My point is - there are many, many different reasons people use RVs. So what you have observed is probably just a fragment.

Audrey
Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #237
gone traveling

Quote:
So, then, the most important take-away you should have gotten, from this thread, is that you don't need to use subtrefuge to gain knowledge from this bunch.

Damn! where were you about 2000 of my posts ago?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ron,

This is a forum for retired people, threads on any topic seem to go on forever and in all directions regardless

E86S54
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I just think that your observations have just been very limited. snip...My point is - there are many, many different reasons people use RVs. So what you have observed is probably just a fragment.

Audrey
Audrey,

Absolutely, hence the OP. Your post have been very good an more along the lines of what I needed to hear.

Happy Trails!

E86
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a forum for retired people...
I think RV should be allowed only for retired (or semi-retired ) people. Full-time workers can't possibly make good use of an RV.