Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #361
Recycles dryer sheets

there are still bargains to be had but they are indeed fewer and further between...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
would you mind sharing some of your favorite RV blogs?
I am sorry I just now see your post when scrolling back through this thread.

The two "philosopher RV bloggers" that I like are below. The first one still travels and has good eyes to observe Americana scenes to report on. The second one has bogged down and has not been traveling much. Politically, the 1st one is to my left, while the 2nd one is a bit to my right. I like to read them both.

Mobile Kodgers
the Occupation of Independence

By a mention from Martha in an old RV thread, I found and read the blog that started my interests in RV'ing.
Travels with Andy

There's also this younger couple who live full-time in a small trailer: Tales from Technomadia.

The last 2 blogs are non-political and not "philosophizing" so much, but a good read on RV full-timing. It's not for me, but I found the life-style interesting.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #363
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Audrey and Martha, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about low traffic roads in state parks. I was wondering if the cab over bed really worked for an adult for extended periods, apparantly it does. That seems to make the class C more livable. Love Martha's big windows. I'm still thinking I'd want to tow a car, but understand that the only way to find out is to experiment.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Well, this "sucks."

Watch Camper Stuck In Narrow Alley Video | Break.com
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Whoa! Not too inviting! OTOH, for something more inviting try the two girls kissing compilation advertised just to the right.

Ha
Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Link seems broken or the "within page" video link is missing.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #367
Recycles dryer sheets

OK...I've been enjoying this thread since it started & I had to register to let everyone know that back in March when the thread started I asked the wife if she'd like to rv as well. Long story short I blew 250k on a nice class A (my 1st rv) at end of March & havn't spent a nite in my house since.

Our house is now for sale (for diesel $$) and we will full time around North America till we're broke. I love this thing & the freedom it provides.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Holy cow! And it's your 1st post too! Going 1st class with a class A diesel! You the man (and woman)! My hat off to you.

Why don't you make another post in the "Hi I am" to tell us more about yourself?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #369
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
OK...I've been enjoying this thread since it started & I had to register to let everyone know that back in March when the thread started I asked the wife if she'd like to rv as well. Long story short I blew 250k on a nice class A (my 1st rv) at end of March & havn't spent a nite in my house since.

Our house is now for sale (for diesel $$) and we will full time around North America till we're broke. I love this thing & the freedom it provides.
Sounds like you got the bug .. Welcome to the club.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:15 AM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thumbs Up.gif
Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #371
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Congratulations!

...but we want photos!

...and stories, both good and bad.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wow - 250K buys a pretty nice diesel class A!

Congrats

Audrey
Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #373
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wow. Three weeks from the start of this thread to the purchase of a big-ticket motor home is the stuff of legend.

We want details!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Boaters should start a thread with the title "Yachting Sucks!". :-)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Boaters should start a thread with the title "Yachting Sucks!". :-)
And Early Retirees should...
Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #376
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Congratulations!

...but we want photos!

...and stories, both good and bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - 250K buys a pretty nice diesel class A!

Congrats

Audrey
Ok...I uploaded this one of the new barn on wheels. This is at Cattail Cove on Lake Havesu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. Three weeks from the start of this thread to the purchase of a big-ticket motor home is the stuff of legend.

We want details!
I retired at 53 after a career in construction. I spent my 1st 5 months of retirement traveling around Canada & USA in our van and overnighting in all sorts of motels. Since wife & I love to travel we agreed that something nicer than Motel 6 was needed.

We looked at buying a condo in Puerto Vallarta, Vegas, and Fort Lauderdale, but although we love being in these places we couldn't see being happy in the same place for 6 months at a time.

I read the wife some of the early posts in this thread...she immediately wanted to buy a van conversion & tour North America in that. After looking at various rv's, I decided I liked the idea of a luxury rv....I've never owned any toys in my life, so this is the first one.

We figure we'll sell our house to help offset the dent the rv purchase put in our retirement funds, and the rv is much nicer to live in than my $650k home in Alberta.

I dont have any good stories yet, although I have never driven anything larger than a pickup before flying to Iowa & driving this rig back to Alberta. I did make it without any dents, but the 1st few hours on the interstate where pretty exciting haha.

Other day I took wrong turn & ended up going down Las Vegas Blvd...no real problem since even the cabbies are scared of a rig this size, and surrender plenty of room.

I think I am really going to enjoy this thing for many years....but it is a ridiculous amount of money (it's worth every penny)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #377
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

She is a beauty! Is that a Monaco? 42' or 45'?

I admire your "just do it" spirit. Quite a change from what we usually see when it comes to making an RV purchasing decision - agonizing over every possible type, floor plan and option for months and months before finally giving up pulling the trigger. Heck, I searched for more than three months before I bought and still worried I was making a snap decision. Didn't last long though...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #378
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, nice coach! You could probably pull our conversion van behind that as a "toad"
Old 05-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #379
Recycles dryer sheets

Its a 2010 Itasca Ellipse....just under 43'. I'm not sure how we picked it out so quick....more like it picked us. Love at 1st sight etc.

I did have a feeling of impending doom for a few days after signing the purchase agreement, but that disappeared quickly...and any financial regrets are a distant memory haha.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #380
Recycles dryer sheets

sweet rig...