Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
It's been a blast (except for the recent fender bender )
Yet another example of an RVer sitting around looking sad.

Rich, in the Book of Your Life this little ding will barely merit a footnote. Now if the sewer hose disconnects while you're dumping the black tank, you may have to dedicate a full chapter...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Isn't that kind of like saying Europe sucks because the hotel rooms are small?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not trying to change OP's opinion. I prefer boondocking, or state and national park campgrounds. Many have minimal services which works fine for me. Some have no services at all, bring what you need and leave nothing but tire tracks and footprints.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman View Post
... Target market seems to be a group of guys heading over to state for football weekend, or Nascar.
Did the Nascar RV thing a couple of years ago. 4 of us left the wives at home, borrowed an RV, and took it 20 minutes to the campground at the track. Spent 3 days and nights there watching races, eating and drinking.

Got hit by a major thunderstorm that ripped the awning off and turned the campground into a swamp. I listened to loud air conditioning generators and snoring all night.

At the time, I thought it sucked. But I'll do it again anytime.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman View Post
We (I) are thinking about renting an RV to go visit my folks down south over spring break. I've always wanted to do this, and my boys are totally psyched. My wife, however, is less than enthusiastic. She is a bit of a clean freak and likes nice accomodations. I did a quick search and found a place - Cruise America - that seems reputable and is close by. I went out and looked a couple over yesterday. They are a couple years old and plain. About 30 feet long and built over a pickup truck. Remind me of a low-end motel room. Target market seems to be a group of guys heading over to state for football weekend, or Nascar. Very reasonable price. OK for me and the boys, I think, but I'm nervous that the wife and daughter will balk.

I briefly looked more, and saw some that were a few feet longer, and looked nicer - not built over a pick-up but more like a bus, and nicer furnishings.

Anyway, I saw this thread and thought I'd throw my situation out for any advice or insight. I'm in Pittsburgh and will go to South Carolina and back.

Thanks, Xman
Xman, we rented from CruiseAmerica in 2007. We had no prior RV experience and had been thinking about it for a while. We rented a Class C for a week and drove from Denver down to Albuquerque and back. This was DW, our two small kids and I. We had a blast and it convinced us we wanted to buy an RV of some sort. We ended up with a trailer that sleeps all of us, fits in the driveway and can be towed by our minivan.

CruiseAmerica was pretty decent to deal with and I would happily rent from them again. The rental unit was basic, but serviceable despite over 80k miles on the clock. Yeah, its not a million dollar coach, but its a good way to try RVing out. If you can convince everyone that it is an adventure, it'll work. On our initial trip we got to camp in the Rockies and at the Great Sand Dunes: how cool is that? No doubt you would find similarly neat opportunities on your trip.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I listened to loud air conditioning generators and snoring all night.
Need more beer.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

This is something that should be tried before you commit.

I have spent the last month in an expensive and tightly packed rv park in Long Beach California. I love it! There is a heated pool. There is a major bike trail running along side the park. I walk around downtown Long beach. I can walk or bike to the beach. So much to do!

My general preference is more isolated areas in state and federal parks. But this urban experience has been fun.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have spent the last month in an expensive and tightly packed rv park in Long Beach California.
Are you there for the Long Beach Grand Prix ? I'll bet your RV could take out more than a few of those Grand Prix cars in the hairpin turn.

I suspect though that you like(d) the SoCal winter weather better than in Minnesota
Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
As far as deciding on the campgrounds themselves, you need something like Woodalls or Trailer Life Directory (Printed version or on-line) which have fairly decent (accurate) scoring systems.
IMO, RV Park Reviews site is much more reliable in terms of providing a reasonably accurate description of a campground than Woodalls or Trailer Life directories. Especially for the more popular ones or for choosing between parks in a popular destination.

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Isn't that kind of like saying Europe sucks because the hotel rooms are small?
...especially from someone who has never been there .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just one of the many spectacular campsites we have enjoyed over the last many years:

Of course, it IS out in the middle of nowhere - campgrounds are 500ft below this "lookout".

Palo Duro Canyon State Park - 30? miles south of Amarillo, TX

Audrey

P.S. For folks mentioning CruiseAmerica - that's the rental I see out on the road most often. Plus they are class C's which is probably the easiest way to get started. Very popular with overseas tourists exploring National Parks too. There must be a reason they dominate the RV rental business.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #32

Who is that scary person

Or is that the Lone Ranger in the picture ?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
P.S. For folks mentioning CruiseAmerica - that's the rental I see out on the road most often. Plus they are class C's which is probably the easiest way to get started. Very popular with overseas tourists exploring National Parks too. There must be a reason they dominate the RV rental business.
Yep, CruiseAmerica seems to be the Uhaul of the RV rental world. However, a couple of weeks ago a German couple and (and his MIL ) camped near us in a 32' Class A motor home rented from Camping World. First time I've noticed a Camping World rental unit.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Yes. In general, the nicer RV parks are not visible from the road! They try to provide some seclusion/buffer/privacy/space from road noise and views.
And I'll bet the regular customers of those parks don't want to share the dirty little secret with any more people than they have to in order to keep them in business...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO, RV Park Reviews site is much more reliable in terms of providing a reasonably accurate description of a campground than Woodalls or Trailer Life directories. Especially for the more popular ones or for choosing between parks in a popular destination.
I really don't have any argument with that. We do, however, check them all before deciding. If one has complete faith in a particular source of information, that's the way to go, no question.

Our "one night stands" put us at greater risk of catching a "bad" one, however. I can think of two that were so bad, I still have nightmares -- the absolute worst was in mid-town Laredo. (I should quickly add that personal safety has never, ever been an issue.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Who is that scary person

Or is that the Lone Ranger in the picture ?
That is my personal lone ranger. And, yes, he is wearing snake chaps LOL!

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think this entire post is wasted on an ER board. You'll get much better feedback from an RV board like iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community...

With all due respect, this topic has more to do with the ER lifestyle than female commanders on submarines- and no one tried to redirect that thread to: Submarine Forces - Forum Powered by Social Strata

Lots of diverse interests here on FIRE; arguably many of them have little or nothing to do with ER, depending on individual interests and perspectives. 39 responses in a few hours indicates to me that more than a few FIR Emembers find this topic worthy of discussion.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Our "one night stands" put us at greater risk of catching a "bad" one, however. I can think of two that were so bad, I still have nightmares -- the absolute worst was in mid-town Laredo. (I should quickly add that personal safety has never, ever been an issue.)
For "one night stands" we tend to use the (print) Big Rig Directory - most of these are close to major travel roads.

Lately we've been using Walmart when we can't be bothered with locating a decent park. Sure beats any nightmare RV park.

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #39

Quote:
That is my personal lone ranger. And, yes, he is wearing snake chaps LOL!
I was thinking maybe it was Indiana Jones.

Snake chaps?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I believe your questioned comment was a J-O-K-E...