Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #381
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick update...still havn't made it home. RV is fun!! Should have done this 10 years ago.

Just finishing up a stint at Silver Strand state park near San Diego...saw the DOW was down again so turned CNN off and a bottle of 2 buck chuck ON lol.

I will go back to Canada next month....passport is expiring...so Halifax seems like the target for August....mmm $5 lobster!!
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Quick update...still havn't made it home. RV is fun!! Should have done this 10 years ago.
Thumbs Up.gif
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #383
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...saw the DOW was down again so turned CNN off and a bottle of 2 buck chuck ON lol.
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #384
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Just finishing up a stint at Silver Strand state park near San Diego...saw the DOW was down again so turned CNN off and a bottle of 2 buck chuck ON lol.

I will go back to Canada next month....passport is expiring...so Halifax seems like the target for August....mmm $5 lobster!!
Eder,

Love San Diego...

When back in Canada, go past Halifax to Newfoundland! very much worth the extra distance!
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #385
Recycles dryer sheets

As the OP, I can't believe this thread is still going on. It has been good in some parts!

I don't actually believe RVing sucks...as it is a vehicle and where it ends up depends on the driver.

I may buy a Class A in the future and tow a convertible. It may very well be the best way to visit all the state, provincial and national parks.

E86S54
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #386
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
True for the most part but there can be exceptions.

For example: Lion Country Safari - KOA Camp Ground
One of the nicest parks that we've ever stayed in and certainly the most unique! We stayed there last October for three nights and received a free two day pass to Lion Country Safari. My dog was a little scared though as the wild animals can be heard throughout the day. The groundskeeper was very helpful and gave us back road directions to the Florida Keys.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #387
Give me a forum ...

Here's an update from the road . . .

We got our RV and moved in full-time about 1 month and a half ago. So far we've . . .

1) Visited Boston, MA
2) Visited Cambridge, MA
3) Visited Providence, RI
4) Visited Hyde Park, NY
5) Visited Mystic, CT
6) Visited Stonington,CT
7) Gone hiking to water falls
8) Gone hiking to ice caves
9) Biked Block Island, RI
10) Biked to lighthouses
11) Visited Gillette Castle
12) Visited Lyndhurst Castle
13) Visited Newport & Bristol, RI
14) Attended a classical music concert in a museum designed after a Venetian Palazzi
15) Laid out at the beach
16) Laid out at the pool

I'm sure I'm missing stuff. I know we spent a day or two doing laundry and every once in a while I need to go grocery shopping.

But the OP is right, RVing really sucks.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #388
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Here's an update from the road . . .

We got our RV and moved in full-time about 1 month and a half ago. So far we've . . .

1) Visited Boston, MA
2) Visited Cambridge, MA
3) Visited Providence, RI
4) Visited Hyde Park, NY
5) Visited Mystic, CT
6) Visited Stonington,CT
7) Gone hiking to water falls
8) Gone hiking to ice caves
9) Biked Block Island, RI
10) Biked to lighthouses
11) Visited Gillette Castle
12) Visited Lyndhurst Castle
13) Visited Newport & Bristol, RI
14) Attended a classical music concert in a museum designed after a Venetian Palazzi
15) Laid out at the beach
16) Laid out at the pool

I'm sure I'm missing stuff. I know we spent a day or two doing laundry and every once in a while I need to go grocery shopping.

But the OP is right, RVing really sucks.
Did you have to have an RV to do all of that?
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Oh my, yes!... to do it properly. (or is the word "justice"?)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Nope, could have stayed in hotels and motels. Although I do prefer to sleep in my own bed. I also enjoy cooking, and think my meals are better than most meals I find out, even when paying up. If you've ever done any kind of extended travel you come to find that eating every meal of every day out gets to be a drag, and usually isn't that healthy.

Places like Boston are probably better visited while staying in a hotel (although I still have the option to do that) but waking up in the middle of a national park is way better than waking up at the Comfort Inn on Route 3.

So sure, I could do what I'm doing (a several year exploration of North America) without an RV. Personally I don't think it would be as good of a trip. But the OP seemed to think that the only thing to do with an RV is sit around campgrounds . . . clearly that ain't true.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #391
Recycles dryer sheets

Been catching up on this thread and have seen some good info - will definitely have to check out 3G. DH and I dont own an RV yet, because we still work FT and it seems like such a waste of money for something we could only use 2-4 weeks/year max. But we already know that as soon as we retire (2 more years if the market cooperates at least a little), we will be in an RV at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the year. I think doing your homework can help save money, though. Or at least I really hope so, because we have spent the last 5 years dreaming of researching RVs.

We are going into this knowing it will be expensive, as well as challenging at times, but I think half the fun is the adventure. When it no longer is fun, we will sell and do something else.

But I am completely convinced that we will on at least one occassion:
  • drive off and leave something we need at the campsite, and not realize it until we are in the next state
  • drive off from the campsite with something still hooked, extended, attached....which will bring great amusement to anybody watching
  • make some turn at a busy intersection too tight and hold up traffic for at least 30 minutes while we figure out how to "move that beast" out of everyone's way
  • forget we dont have unlimited internet and run up a $2000 bill some month
  • pull into some campground late some night, only to wake up the next morning to some place we would never stay at in a million years had it been daylight out (but for the record, I can think of 3 times we have done this with hotels, so if we only do it once in an RV, we're ahead of the game....)
  • leave the steps down and subsequently rip them off at the first gas station we pull into
  • smack a toll attendent with the huge sideview mirror, because I pull too close to the toll booth
Oh wait, I already did those last two with my mother's RV, so I guess I can cross them off my list!

I am sure many of you have other things I can put in their place, though.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #392
Give me a forum ...

Bear in mind that I don't have an RV, but I had some comments anyway just because I felt like commenting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post

• drive off and leave something we need at the campsite, and not realize it until we are in the next state Think of the cost of gas for this RV journey. The cost to replace some little thing you *might* forget will probably be trivial in comparison with that.
  • drive off from the campsite with something still hooked, extended, attached....which will bring great amusement to anybody watching So, do you do this often at a gas station, pulling the gas pump along with you by the hose? Probably not, because you are more careful than that.
  • make some turn at a busy intersection too tight and hold up traffic for at least 30 minutes while we figure out how to "move that beast" out of everyone's way I would imagine that after doing this once, you would scrupulously avoid getting into a similar situation a second time.
  • forget we dont have unlimited internet and run up a $2000 bill some month I dunno - - don't most of these RV folks have an aircard or iPad on 3G or something? I have no clue but thought you could get a lot of internet for a basic fee.
  • pull into some campground late some night, only to wake up the next morning to some place we would never stay at in a million years had it been daylight out (but for the record, I can think of 3 times we have done this with hotels, so if we only do it once in an RV, we're ahead of the game....) See? There you go. Things happen whether you have an RV or not.
  • leave the steps down and subsequently rip them off at the first gas station we pull into Maybe you can have a take-off checklist like a pilot would have.
  • smack a toll attendent with the huge sideview mirror, because I pull too close to the toll booth Hmm.
Oh wait, I already did those last two with my mother's RV, so I guess I can cross them off my list! Aha! There you go.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #393
Recycles dryer sheets

still patiently waiting for my turn....
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
  • drive off and leave something we need at the campsite, and not realize it until we are in the next state
  • drive off from the campsite with something still hooked, extended, attached....which will bring great amusement to anybody watching
  • make some turn at a busy intersection too tight and hold up traffic for at least 30 minutes while we figure out how to "move that beast" out of everyone's way
  • forget we dont have unlimited internet and run up a $2000 bill some month
  • pull into some campground late some night, only to wake up the next morning to some place we would never stay at in a million years had it been daylight out (but for the record, I can think of 3 times we have done this with hotels, so if we only do it once in an RV, we're ahead of the game....)
  • leave the steps down and subsequently rip them off at the first gas station we pull into
  • smack a toll attendent with the huge sideview mirror, because I pull too close to the toll booth
Oh wait, I already did those last two with my mother's RV, so I guess I can cross them off my list!

OK - I so risk jinxing myself on this. But 5 years of fulltiming and none of the above has happened to me YET. (Knock on wood!)

We are very careful. Especially about checking the camping area before leaving, and carefully inspecting and testing toad connections. And we have setup and take down procedures that we tend to follow in order so as not to mess up. And we always do a walk around check before leaving an area.

I was always worried about forgetting to set the brake on the toad before disconnecting and have it roll away. Or have the toad connections fail while underway.

We have tried to drive off with the television antenna up though - twice. Another RVer flagged us down.

Don't let other RVer's or campground owners distract you while setting up. The one booboo and another close call were because other people were trying to "help" and distracted us.

I've done the drive off and left things in motel rooms a few times!!!! And not realize until out of state. I think it's easier to do that than with the RV.

Audrey

P.S. Ouch - I hope the toll attendant didn't get a bruise.

P.P.S. We have unlimited internet.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #395
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
leave the steps down and subsequently rip them off at the first gas station we pull into Maybe you can have a take-off checklist like a pilot would have.
I thought this would be a good idea too. In fact, I have read of RV'ing people who do just this.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #396
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - we're pretty close to using a checklist.

Actually we started with a printed one. It's burned into our heads now, and we rarely deviate from "standard procedure".

Audrey
Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #397
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I think half the fun is the adventure. When it no longer is fun, we will sell and do something else.
YES! Five years ago, we never thought of owning an RV. Then, I found that this was a different form of travel that we would have enjoyed. Our first 2-night trip six weeks ago was a big success. Since then, I have been working on the RV to install some electronics and do a bit more research on RV travel.

When I am free of my jury duty, next month we will take a longer trip, and play it by ear. It might be a couple of weeks, or a month. Or two.
"Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same rainbow's end ..." - Moon River, music by Henry Mancini, lyrics by Johnny Mercer

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #398
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
As the OP, I can't believe this thread is still going on. It has been good in some parts!
Oh great! I stopped reading this on page three and now I found it it contains good stuff. Looks like I have something to do tomorrow.
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #399
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe you can have a take-off checklist like a pilot would have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We have tried to drive off with the television antenna up though - twice. Another RVer flagged us down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah - we're pretty close to using a checklist.
Actually we started with a printed one. It's burned into our heads now, and we rarely deviate from "standard procedure".
As W2R says and as Gumby & M_Paquette would appreciate, you RVers all need a "rig for drive" checklist.

"Burned into your heads" is fine, but it's always worth the extra minute (and a lot cheaper) to read over the list before you put it into gear.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #400
Give me a forum ...

Maybe its because we have a small, simple trailer, but we have never had issues with remembering to get things sorted before we take off. Maybe it is a sign of impending fogeyhood for you guys?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote