Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

* Note to self *
Add pesky antenna to a checklist, so it doesn't get added to the "yup, done that too..." list.

On another note - what do people do regarding television?
- DirectTV?
- Your own satellite?
- Who needs TV?
- Use cable at campground?
- Another one of those pesky antennas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
- DirectTV?
I take along a satellite dish and one of my Direct TV receivers. I usually don't set it up if the campground has functioning cable, we get good reception of local channels using the batwing antenna and/or we aren't staying for more than a couple of days.*

Quote:
- Your own satellite?
Launch costs are prohibitive.

Quote:
- Who needs TV?
Who's on first, What's on second.

Quote:
Yes, if it works OK - many offer poor reception.

Quote:
Only need one - and enough brain cells to remember to crank it down before you hit the road...

* Note that some of our more affluent RV brethren have dishes that automatically seek and lock on the satellite. Yeah, it takes all the fun out of manually aligning that puppy...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thsi is one of my favorite threads. It points out all the complicated and annoying things that will never be part of my life.
Yeah, because no complicated and annoying things ever happen to me in "civilian" life, I look forward to the "change of pace."

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #424
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
* Note to self *
Add pesky antenna to a checklist, so it doesn't get added to the "yup, done that too..." list.

- DirectTV?
- Your own satellite?
- Who needs TV?
I have DirecTV - that's what the motorhome was already setup for. When we were going on camping trips TV didn't matter. But once we were fulltime, we needed TV just like you regular house-living folks do.

We've been enough out in the boonies that we had nothing but satellite TV. And one time if we hadn't had the feed from San Antonio telling us that we about to be hit by a really bad storm cell, we wouldn't have had time to secure several things and run to the bathrooms.

Almost never use campground cable. Well maybe if I am parked under a tree and my satellite dish is blocked.

Internet it the most important, however. I really don't like being without internet.

Audrey

P.S. I confess we have that auto-search and lock satellite receiver. Thank goodness!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #425
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

- DirectTV?
- Your own satellite?
- Who needs TV?
We also have DirecTV, using a dish that came with our RV. Alas, no auto-lock feature. I'm proud to say that it only took me 2 minutes to lock on to a satellite this evening (rather than the typical multiple sessions of futility) from our spot in lovely Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado--just a stone's throw from NORAD--gulp.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #426
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
I'm proud to say that it only took me 2 minutes to lock on to a satellite this evening (rather than the typical multiple sessions of futility).
I once - and only once - set up the dish and the signal immediately beamed to the TV. It was a total fluke, but I made absolutely no adjustment to find the satellite - I'd somehow aligned it perfectly when I placed it on the stand.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #427
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had planned my first RV trip a couple of weekends back. I hooked up the trailer and ran over to the local scales to get everything weighed for the first time. I have a half ton truck, but the trailer only weighed 4700 lbs so I should be in good shape. On the way back home a main bearing started nocking. So instead the truck got to sit in the shop waiting for a new engine to be installed. I assume the trailer had nothing to do with it, but the wife is not to sure. Ive spent quite a bit of money so far and we havent spent a night in the trailer yet.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I had planned my first RV trip a couple of weekends back. I hooked up the trailer and ran over to the local scales to get everything weighed for the first time. I have a half ton truck, but the trailer only weighed 4700 lbs so I should be in good shape. On the way back home a main bearing started nocking. So instead the truck got to sit in the shop waiting for a new engine to be installed. I assume the trailer had nothing to do with it, but the wife is not to sure. Ive spent quite a bit of money so far and we havent spent a night in the trailer yet.
Bummer!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #429
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I once - and only once - set up the dish and the signal immediately beamed to the TV. It was a total fluke, but I made absolutely no adjustment to find the satellite - I'd somehow aligned it perfectly when I placed it on the stand.
I'm impressed. When I begin to setup the dish, my wife typically goes for a walk to avoid my theatrics.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #430
Administrator

You do realize that for those of us who don't have RV's, you are all conjuring up visions of:

(1) sitting by your RV in a less-than-desirable trailer park at night, swatting mosquitos in the heat while you
(2) wrestle with an antenna so you can get a less-than-optimal television signal since you are 300 miles from nowhere, and
(3) watch crummy television all evening, because there is nothing else to do and you don't know the area?

Oh, that's right. This thread is entitled "Why I think RVing Sucks".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang! Sorry to hear about that. Have you researched on the Web or asked around to see if others have the same problem, meaning the trailer's weight being too much for the truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just what you need to go to town on us RV'ers here, isn't it?

I don't care what people say, I am going to Alaska, and then to Prince Edward Island. TV or no TV, I am goin'...

What ya do all day? Stay home and watch Jerry Springer?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You do realize that for those of us who don't have RV's, you are all conjuring up visions of:

(1) sitting by your RV in a less-than-desirable trailer park at night, swatting mosquitos in the heat while you
(2) wrestle with an antenna so you can get a less-than-optimal television signal since you are 300 miles from nowhere, and
(3) watch crummy television all evening, because there is nothing else to do and you don't know the area?

We have never even had a TV in the camper and if I could magic away the antenna I would. Disconnecting in a beautiful setting is a big part of the appeal.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #433
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A less-than-desirable trailer park won't be 300 miles from nowhere. Those parks are usually full of workers and thus are somewhere with high labor demand - usually near an urban area. The 300 miles from nowhere parks are the usually the ones with some great pristine nature environment and well worth camping. Might be mosquitos though.

Audrey
Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Here's an update from the road . . .

We got our RV and moved in full-time about 1 month and a half ago. So far we've . . .

1) Visited Boston, MA
2) Visited Cambridge, MA
3) Visited Providence, RI
4) Visited Hyde Park, NY
5) Visited Mystic, CT
6) Visited Stonington,CT
7) Gone hiking to water falls
8) Gone hiking to ice caves
9) Biked Block Island, RI
10) Biked to lighthouses
11) Visited Gillette Castle
12) Visited Lyndhurst Castle
13) Visited Newport & Bristol, RI
14) Attended a classical music concert in a museum designed after a Venetian Palazzi
15) Laid out at the beach
16) Laid out at the pool

I'm sure I'm missing stuff. I know we spent a day or two doing laundry and every once in a while I need to go grocery shopping.

But the OP is right, RVing really sucks.
Your forgot #17) Posting a lot while driving............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

I don't watch a lot of TV so a week with only the noises of nature sounds pretty nice to me .
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #436
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't watch a lot of TV so a week with only the noises of nature sounds pretty nice to me .
Well, we wont be doing this for a couple more years - but I was thinking it would be a good experiment for our first trip out to go without TV, because we would only use it at night, DH usually sleeps through any show that is on, and I am usually on my computer.

But then the thought of being with TV for an extended period of time sort of scared me. Sad, I know.....
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A less-than-desirable trailer park won't be 300 miles from nowhere. Those parks are usually full of workers and thus are somewhere with high labor demand - usually near an urban area. The 300 miles from nowhere parks are the usually the ones with some great pristine nature environment and well worth camping. Might be mosquitos though.

Audrey
In last 3.5 months since I got my rv we have stayed in campgrounds maybe 15% of the time. They are too crowded often resulting in my lawn chair impeding access to my neighbors sewer hook up.

I much rather dry camp....tonite I'm in Kannanaskis country at a lake stocked with Arctic Grayling...no one else within miles. In the morning I will fly fish for a couple hours...hit the mountain bike trails for a few more hours...hot shower...bother the wife then frosty ones in the lawn chair till evening rise begins.

On Friday I move down to free drycamping on the Crowsnest River to rise/repeat...but need to find fresh beer supplies.

Next week is Waterton Parks...more fishing/bbq/lawn chairs/biking/photos.

Rv'ing suks

Ok thats it for today ... I need to go curl up in my memory foam king bed, adjust the air conditioning and dream of grayling...

Cheers everyone!!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #438
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
In last 3.5 months since I got my rv we have stayed in campgrounds maybe 15% of the time. They are too crowded often resulting in my lawn chair impeding access to my neighbors sewer hook up.

I much rather dry camp....tonite I'm in Kannanaskis country at a lake stocked with Arctic Grayling...no one else within miles. In the morning I will fly fish for a couple hours...hit the mountain bike trails for a few more hours...hot shower...bother the wife then frosty ones in the lawn chair till evening rise begins.

On Friday I move down to free drycamping on the Crowsnest River to rise/repeat...but need to find fresh beer supplies.

Next week is Waterton Parks...more fishing/bbq/lawn chairs/biking/photos.

Rv'ing suks

Ok thats it for today ... I need to go curl up in my memory foam king bed, adjust the air conditioning and dream of grayling...

Cheers everyone!!
Sounds great! Enjoy the freedom and the open road experience this summer!Does the RV campground traffic usually thin out or freeze out later in the season?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #439
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Sounds great! Enjoy the freedom and the open road experience this summer!Does the RV campground traffic usually thin out or freeze out later in the season?
Since this is my 1st season in a rv I don't really know, but our plans for November is Key west and I'm sure that they are very busy over winter.

Where I am atm I think there be less traffic after August and disappear by November since temperatures drop well below zero by then.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #440
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many half ton trucks are not rated for 4700 lbs. My '99 F150 (V8, 5 speed manual, low ratio axle), for example, is rated for only 3500. But the little Aliner I tow weighs in at under 2000 loaded, so I'm fine.

Do you know the actual rating of your truck? Not just that it's a half ton....

Hope ya get it all worked out!