Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets
KM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 391
* Note to self *
Add pesky antenna to a checklist, so it doesn't get added to the "yup, done that too..." list.


On another note - what do people do regarding television?
- DirectTV?
- Your own satellite?
- Who needs TV?
- Use cable at campground?
- Another one of those pesky antennas?
__________________

__________________
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
On another note - what do people do regarding television?
- DirectTV?
I take along a satellite dish and one of my Direct TV receivers. I usually don't set it up if the campground has functioning cable, we get good reception of local channels using the batwing antenna and/or we aren't staying for more than a couple of days.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
- Your own satellite?
Launch costs are prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
- Who needs TV?
Who's on first, What's on second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
- Use cable at campground?
Yes, if it works OK - many offer poor reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
- Another one of those pesky antennas?
Only need one - and enough brain cells to remember to crank it down before you hit the road...

* Note that some of our more affluent RV brethren have dishes that automatically seek and lock on the satellite. Yeah, it takes all the fun out of manually aligning that puppy...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thsi is one of my favorite threads. It points out all the complicated and annoying things that will never be part of my life.
Yeah, because no complicated and annoying things ever happen to me in "civilian" life, I look forward to the "change of pace."



__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #424
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
* Note to self *
Add pesky antenna to a checklist, so it doesn't get added to the "yup, done that too..." list.


On another note - what do people do regarding television?
- DirectTV?
- Your own satellite?
- Who needs TV?
- Use cable at campground?
- Another one of those pesky antennas?
I have DirecTV - that's what the motorhome was already setup for. When we were going on camping trips TV didn't matter. But once we were fulltime, we needed TV just like you regular house-living folks do.

We've been enough out in the boonies that we had nothing but satellite TV. And one time if we hadn't had the feed from San Antonio telling us that we about to be hit by a really bad storm cell, we wouldn't have had time to secure several things and run to the bathrooms.

Almost never use campground cable. Well maybe if I am parked under a tree and my satellite dish is blocked.

Internet it the most important, however. I really don't like being without internet.

Audrey

P.S. I confess we have that auto-search and lock satellite receiver. Thank goodness!!!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #425
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post

On another note - what do people do regarding television?
- DirectTV?
- Your own satellite?
- Who needs TV?
- Use cable at campground?
- Another one of those pesky antennas?
We also have DirecTV, using a dish that came with our RV. Alas, no auto-lock feature. I'm proud to say that it only took me 2 minutes to lock on to a satellite this evening (rather than the typical multiple sessions of futility) from our spot in lovely Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado--just a stone's throw from NORAD--gulp.
__________________
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #426
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
I'm proud to say that it only took me 2 minutes to lock on to a satellite this evening (rather than the typical multiple sessions of futility).
I once - and only once - set up the dish and the signal immediately beamed to the TV. It was a total fluke, but I made absolutely no adjustment to find the satellite - I'd somehow aligned it perfectly when I placed it on the stand.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #427
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 664
I had planned my first RV trip a couple of weekends back. I hooked up the trailer and ran over to the local scales to get everything weighed for the first time. I have a half ton truck, but the trailer only weighed 4700 lbs so I should be in good shape. On the way back home a main bearing started nocking. So instead the truck got to sit in the shop waiting for a new engine to be installed. I assume the trailer had nothing to do with it, but the wife is not to sure. Ive spent quite a bit of money so far and we havent spent a night in the trailer yet.
__________________
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #428
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I had planned my first RV trip a couple of weekends back. I hooked up the trailer and ran over to the local scales to get everything weighed for the first time. I have a half ton truck, but the trailer only weighed 4700 lbs so I should be in good shape. On the way back home a main bearing started nocking. So instead the truck got to sit in the shop waiting for a new engine to be installed. I assume the trailer had nothing to do with it, but the wife is not to sure. Ive spent quite a bit of money so far and we havent spent a night in the trailer yet.
Bummer!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #429
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I once - and only once - set up the dish and the signal immediately beamed to the TV. It was a total fluke, but I made absolutely no adjustment to find the satellite - I'd somehow aligned it perfectly when I placed it on the stand.
I'm impressed. When I begin to setup the dish, my wife typically goes for a walk to avoid my theatrics.
__________________
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #430
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
You do realize that for those of us who don't have RV's, you are all conjuring up visions of:

(1) sitting by your RV in a less-than-desirable trailer park at night, swatting mosquitos in the heat while you
(2) wrestle with an antenna so you can get a less-than-optimal television signal since you are 300 miles from nowhere, and
(3) watch crummy television all evening, because there is nothing else to do and you don't know the area?

Oh, that's right. This thread is entitled "Why I think RVing Sucks".
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #431
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I had planned my first RV trip a couple of weekends back. I hooked up the trailer and ran over to the local scales to get everything weighed for the first time. I have a half ton truck, but the trailer only weighed 4700 lbs so I should be in good shape. On the way back home a main bearing started nocking. So instead the truck got to sit in the shop waiting for a new engine to be installed. I assume the trailer had nothing to do with it, but the wife is not to sure. Ive spent quite a bit of money so far and we havent spent a night in the trailer yet.
Dang! Sorry to hear about that. Have you researched on the Web or asked around to see if others have the same problem, meaning the trailer's weight being too much for the truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh, that's right. This thread is entitled "Why I think RVing Sucks".
Just what you need to go to town on us RV'ers here, isn't it?

I don't care what people say, I am going to Alaska, and then to Prince Edward Island. TV or no TV, I am goin'...

What ya do all day? Stay home and watch Jerry Springer?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #432
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You do realize that for those of us who don't have RV's, you are all conjuring up visions of:

(1) sitting by your RV in a less-than-desirable trailer park at night, swatting mosquitos in the heat while you
(2) wrestle with an antenna so you can get a less-than-optimal television signal since you are 300 miles from nowhere, and
(3) watch crummy television all evening, because there is nothing else to do and you don't know the area?

Oh, that's right. This thread is entitled "Why I think RVing Sucks".
We have never even had a TV in the camper and if I could magic away the antenna I would. Disconnecting in a beautiful setting is a big part of the appeal.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #433
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You do realize that for those of us who don't have RV's, you are all conjuring up visions of:

(1) sitting by your RV in a less-than-desirable trailer park at night, swatting mosquitos in the heat while you
(2) wrestle with an antenna so you can get a less-than-optimal television signal since you are 300 miles from nowhere, and
(3) watch crummy television all evening, because there is nothing else to do and you don't know the area?

Oh, that's right. This thread is entitled "Why I think RVing Sucks".
A less-than-desirable trailer park won't be 300 miles from nowhere. Those parks are usually full of workers and thus are somewhere with high labor demand - usually near an urban area. The 300 miles from nowhere parks are the usually the ones with some great pristine nature environment and well worth camping. Might be mosquitos though.

Audrey
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #434
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Here's an update from the road . . .

We got our RV and moved in full-time about 1 month and a half ago. So far we've . . .

1) Visited Boston, MA
2) Visited Cambridge, MA
3) Visited Providence, RI
4) Visited Hyde Park, NY
5) Visited Mystic, CT
6) Visited Stonington,CT
7) Gone hiking to water falls
8) Gone hiking to ice caves
9) Biked Block Island, RI
10) Biked to lighthouses
11) Visited Gillette Castle
12) Visited Lyndhurst Castle
13) Visited Newport & Bristol, RI
14) Attended a classical music concert in a museum designed after a Venetian Palazzi
15) Laid out at the beach
16) Laid out at the pool

I'm sure I'm missing stuff. I know we spent a day or two doing laundry and every once in a while I need to go grocery shopping.

But the OP is right, RVing really sucks.
Your forgot #17) Posting a lot while driving............
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #435
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
I don't watch a lot of TV so a week with only the noises of nature sounds pretty nice to me .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #436
Recycles dryer sheets
KM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't watch a lot of TV so a week with only the noises of nature sounds pretty nice to me .
Well, we wont be doing this for a couple more years - but I was thinking it would be a good experiment for our first trip out to go without TV, because we would only use it at night, DH usually sleeps through any show that is on, and I am usually on my computer.

But then the thought of being with TV for an extended period of time sort of scared me. Sad, I know.....
__________________
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A less-than-desirable trailer park won't be 300 miles from nowhere. Those parks are usually full of workers and thus are somewhere with high labor demand - usually near an urban area. The 300 miles from nowhere parks are the usually the ones with some great pristine nature environment and well worth camping. Might be mosquitos though.

Audrey
In last 3.5 months since I got my rv we have stayed in campgrounds maybe 15% of the time. They are too crowded often resulting in my lawn chair impeding access to my neighbors sewer hook up.

I much rather dry camp....tonite I'm in Kannanaskis country at a lake stocked with Arctic Grayling...no one else within miles. In the morning I will fly fish for a couple hours...hit the mountain bike trails for a few more hours...hot shower...bother the wife then frosty ones in the lawn chair till evening rise begins.

On Friday I move down to free drycamping on the Crowsnest River to rise/repeat...but need to find fresh beer supplies.

Next week is Waterton Parks...more fishing/bbq/lawn chairs/biking/photos.

Rv'ing suks

Ok thats it for today ... I need to go curl up in my memory foam king bed, adjust the air conditioning and dream of grayling...

Cheers everyone!!
__________________
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #438
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
In last 3.5 months since I got my rv we have stayed in campgrounds maybe 15% of the time. They are too crowded often resulting in my lawn chair impeding access to my neighbors sewer hook up.

I much rather dry camp....tonite I'm in Kannanaskis country at a lake stocked with Arctic Grayling...no one else within miles. In the morning I will fly fish for a couple hours...hit the mountain bike trails for a few more hours...hot shower...bother the wife then frosty ones in the lawn chair till evening rise begins.

On Friday I move down to free drycamping on the Crowsnest River to rise/repeat...but need to find fresh beer supplies.

Next week is Waterton Parks...more fishing/bbq/lawn chairs/biking/photos.

Rv'ing suks

Ok thats it for today ... I need to go curl up in my memory foam king bed, adjust the air conditioning and dream of grayling...

Cheers everyone!!
Sounds great! Enjoy the freedom and the open road experience this summer!Does the RV campground traffic usually thin out or freeze out later in the season?
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #439
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Sounds great! Enjoy the freedom and the open road experience this summer!Does the RV campground traffic usually thin out or freeze out later in the season?
Since this is my 1st season in a rv I don't really know, but our plans for November is Key west and I'm sure that they are very busy over winter.

Where I am atm I think there be less traffic after August and disappear by November since temperatures drop well below zero by then.
__________________
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #440
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I had planned my first RV trip a couple of weekends back. I hooked up the trailer and ran over to the local scales to get everything weighed for the first time. I have a half ton truck, but the trailer only weighed 4700 lbs so I should be in good shape. On the way back home a main bearing started nocking. So instead the truck got to sit in the shop waiting for a new engine to be installed. I assume the trailer had nothing to do with it, but the wife is not to sure. Ive spent quite a bit of money so far and we havent spent a night in the trailer yet.
Many half ton trucks are not rated for 4700 lbs. My '99 F150 (V8, 5 speed manual, low ratio axle), for example, is rated for only 3500. But the little Aliner I tow weighs in at under 2000 loaded, so I'm fine.

Do you know the actual rating of your truck? Not just that it's a half ton....

Hope ya get it all worked out!
__________________

__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sometime life just sucks! whitestick Health and Early Retirement 107 02-01-2009 09:58 AM
In zero G, it sucks when your toilet doesn't REWahoo Other topics 13 05-28-2008 02:39 PM
RVing--Where is Your Favorite Spot? SteveR Travel Information 11 08-27-2007 04:16 PM
Web sites for the RVing Lifestyle audreyh1 Life after FIRE 5 01-30-2007 12:29 PM
The It-Sucks-To-Be-Me Generation Jay_Gatsby Young Dreamers 92 01-27-2006 08:25 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.