Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now, that is really, truly sad!

I have spent a lot of time in the recent months thinking about RV'ing, researching things to do, where to go, what adventures we will have on the road, all the National Parks we could visit. Now, I am told I may just end up sitting by my RV in an RV park somewhere looking sad! Why don't I just go bang my head against the fiberglass wall of the RV?

Someone mentioned an analogy to Europe travel. Yes, that too. Why do I never learn?

Having been to Europe several times, that mention really brings back nightmares. Yes, the hotel rooms were small, so we couldn't just stay in to watch TV, which we did not understand either. So we had to go out to explore the cities on foot. They ate different food, and since we did not want to look for McDonald's, we had to eat their local food. Yes, even the Italian pizza did not taste like the ones at our American Pizza Hut. Totally horrible! Belgian beers tasted nothing like Budweiser. And don't let me get started on their cheeses! Or the Spanish jamon that I had to eat as a substitute for our ham. Oh, it was such a waste of money, but being foolhardy as we were, we kept going back, hoping we would find something more like at home.

Now, this RV thing is going to be another waste of money. We skimped and did not go for a loaded class A with the nice interior. My, oh my! I had big plans to traverse the Alaskan highway, then going down the St Lawrence River on the other side of Canada. What was I thinking? How are we going to enjoy the trip without the granite countertop? The faux marble full-size bathtub? I read Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley", and thought that our class C is quite comfortable compared to his truck camper. Now people tell me it's a dump.

That's it! I am going to push this meager class C I just bought off a cliff!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

When the kids were little, we trveled all over the east coat of the USA and Canada with a small pop-up and an Isuzu Trooper. it was great. We would leave and not come back until our money ran out. My parents traveled up the Alcan highway when they were 70, camping on the side of the road in a tent and having TT's throw stones on their tent(I guess they didn't understand about bear dangers.) I expect to do the same when i retire.

My wife and I have never been much west of the Mississippi except for eastern Texas. My daughter refused to go where there might be tornados. But now we have to visit her in SanFrancisco!

I think many people would enjoy a small popup if they are not in bar country.
Z

Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Zarathu, I think you will find the account of this fellow interesting. About our age, when in his early 20s, he went by moped from Toronto to Fairbanks and even detoured to see the Yukon.

Moped Trip - Alaska Hwy - Introduction
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, RVing sucks. You might have to stay places like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg August 2007 075.jpg (694.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg August 2007 153.jpg (674.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg MA trip - Sept 2008 069.jpg (495.1 KB, 7 views)

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Then again...

- Will Rogers
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, that is really, truly sad!

I have spent a lot of time in the recent months thinking about RV'ing, researching things to do, where to go, what adventures we will have on the road, all the National Parks we could visit. Now, I am told I may just end up sitting by my RV in an RV park somewhere looking sad! Why don't I just go bang my head against the fiberglass wall of the RV?
That's OK. Just think - - for every one person on the board who decides to shell out big bucks for an RV, there are probably a hundred who don't. The same is true for my new Venza. So, you get people saying that having an RV sux, and I get people saying they would never own one of those terrible death machines made by Toyota. All in all, what matters to both of us is that we are so happy with our purchases and our lives are enriched by them. That far overshadows negative comments we might read on the board.

I would never in a million years want an RV myself, but even I think that you made a great decision and have much fun and enjoyment ahead.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... I get people saying they would never own one of those terrible death machines made by Toyota...
Were you under the impression that I said that ?

If so, I was misunderstood. I was saying that I wanted to know more about their design, and to read Toyota's FMEA report if I got a chance In fact, I even said in a post that I wanted to own a Prius but would wait until the smoke clears. There!

Anyway, my wife won't let me push this RV off a cliff now. She already bought into my vision of the adventurous trips that we will take (actually fairly tamed compared to the hardy souls out there, but on the other hand we appear to be more daring than many that we know).

And I will not try to retrofit a granite countertop into this RV, nor "remodel" its bathroom. It already feels like, well, home.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyway, my wife won't let me push this RV off a cliff now. She already bought into my vision of the adventurous trips that we will take (actually fairly tamed compared to the hardy souls out there, but on the other hand we appear to be more daring than many that we know).

And I will not try to retrofit a granite countertop into this RV, nor "remodel" its bathroom. It already feels like, well, home.
WalMart parking lots, here you come!

- Will Rogers
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Hey, save me a sunny spot will ya!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Were you under the impression that I said that ?
No? I don't really remember who said what on that thread. Did you? GRR! (just kidding!) I read most of the comments, didn't notice who said what, and went back to enjoying my gorgeous, luxurious, fabulously appointed new death machine from h*ll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound

You and your wife are going to have such a great time!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, save me a sunny spot will ya!
And some suntan lotion. I hear they have it on sale if you buy at least a gallon...

- Will Rogers
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Here's a quick LBYM RV Granite Countertop remodel suggestion....

It sticks and sucks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nwboundsnewrvcountertops.jpg (54.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Here's a quick LBYM RV Granite Countertop remodel suggestion....

It sticks and sucks!
And you can probably buy it at Wal-Mart!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I love it! Granite on a roll. Should I put it on the floor too?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
All in all, what matters to both of us is that we are so happy with our purchases and our lives are enriched by them. That far overshadows negative comments we might read on the board.
Well said.

I enjoy reading about folks' lifestyle and location choices even though they seem unfamiliar or even bizarre at times. All that matters is how you feel about it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I enjoy reading about folks' lifestyle and location choices even though they seem unfamiliar or even bizarre at times.
I wonder if ordinary folks think granite on a roll is unfamiliar, or bizarre or both!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Anyway, reading full-time RV'er bloggers, I found so many interesting stories. The most captivating stories are from those that write well, have unconventional living arrangements and are able to put their thoughts down in a lucid prose. I started reading these as a guide to RV traveling, but then got much more interested in their philosophical viewpoints.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Ordinary people don't even know what you are talking about.

Ha
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Do you, Sir Ha?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
I love it! Granite on a roll. Should I put it on the floor too?
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows you put hardwood on the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nwboundsrvflooring.jpg (68.6 KB, 4 views)