Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Do you, sir Ha?
No. I am completely clueless.

BTW, OP sure stuck a stick into the hornets' nest didn't he?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Gee! I should have hired you, my friend, to decorate my RV if I weren't so keen on maintaining my anonymity.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was thinking maybe it was Indiana Jones.

Snake chaps?
Yep. Those snake chaps really help with the prickly pear cactus among other things....

Here is DH, Dragonfly Hunter, in full insect photography "field dress" which includes the oh-so-essential knee pads.

That's how he gets photos like this:
(the butterfly is less than 1/2 inch across)

Audrey

P.S. Yeah, that's it! I married Indiana Jones!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
No. I am completely clueless.

BTW, OP sure stuck a stick into the hornets' nest didn't he?

Ha
Nah. I am not 100% sure about other RV'ers - I am not yet really one, not having taken my first trip even - but I think we they are gentle and no hornets.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

OK - I'll share a pretty nice TX Hill Country RV Resort just outside Marble Falls TX - hope I don't regret this (but it is a well known local "secret" and it is in the "Big Rig Directory"). We spent a month here once. Sunset Point on Lake LBJ

View from the "Granite Dome" point - why it's called "Sunset Point"

Looking back at the campground from where the above photo was taken:

Some amazing cacti growing within the park:

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep. Those snake chaps really help with the prickly pear cactus among other things....
Excellent! Especially when you realize the ratio of prickly pear to rattlesnakes is probably in the range of 5 million to one...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Some amazing cacti growing within the park:

Audrey
Seems a shame those huge blooms last only one day.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

What kind of macro lens does one need to take photos of chiggers? Or does one use a microscope? And what other abominable creatures in Texas that I read about that can also be photographic subjects?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Excellent! Especially when you realize the ratio of prickly pear to rattlesnakes is probably in the range of 5 million to one...
Yeah - this is TEXAS after all! Y'all gotta be prepared!

These are the "turtleskins" available at Cabela's - some pretty cool high-tech fabric. Very lightweight. OK, they're $$$$ - what can I say - it's DH, and he wears them all the time!

Snake Gaiters :: TurtleSkin SnakeArmor

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seems a shame those huge blooms last only one day.
These would only open up after 11:00 a.m. on a day or two after a rain, and then close by 3-4 p.m. Fortunately, staying there a month, we figured out when to take the photos.

That is a Lace Cactus, by the way.

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #71

Quote:
That is a Lace Cactus, by the way.
Yep. We have a few of them around the house sprinkled among the prickly pear (which I just noticed was 'sprinkled' by a bird...).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0754.jpg (599.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0761.jpg (617.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. We have a few of them around the house sprinkled among the prickly pear (which I just noticed was 'sprinkled' by a bird...).
Sho nuff! They were like magical little easter eggs! Just incredible.

Audrey

P.S. Photoshop (for cleaning up "sprinkles", etc.)
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

We had a couple of cereus cacti in our yard in Tucson. They bloom explosively for one night per year. I remember leaving to walk the dog one night and returning an hour later during which this bloom occurred. Next day, gone.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What kind of macro lens does one need to take photos of chiggers? Or does one use a microscope? And what other abominable creatures in Texas that I read about that can also be photographic subjects?
Microscope required, I believe!

You can use the macro lens to photograph the chigger bite!

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #75

Quote:
You can use the macro lens to photograph the chigger bite!
Make that bites - no such thing as just one.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Another hint for evaluating a new RV park ahead of time:

Look at the satellite view on google maps. You can usually zoom in pretty tight. Gives a pretty darn good idea of what to expect! Also helps confirm actual location.

Audrey
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
And some suntan lotion. I hear they have it on sale if you buy at least a gallon...
Scary image created there. Most RVers I know aren't exactly your fitness craze types (unless I'm just hangin out with the wrong RV crowd)

Just too costly, nomadic and passive for my tastes. I prefer playing with far more practical toys like boats
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I have considered an RV.... and think we would enjoy it for trips. But we would not be full-timers or even heavy part-timers. I owned a boat at one time. That experience taught me about the cost of upkeep on an expensive item that I used infrequently.

IMO - If you intend to know you will use it fairly often, and it is something you enjoy go for it. On the other hand, if you are unsure or only think you will use it infrequently... Drive a regular vehicle stay at a lodge in the NP system or rustic motels. It will probably cost less. If you really want some time with nature, use a Van or SUV and take a nice tent along with some camping equipment and mix it up... some days in a camp others in a rustic motel or park lodge.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Scary image created there. Most RVers I know aren't exactly your fitness craze types (unless I'm just hangin out with the wrong RV crowd)
Yeah - you are hanging out with the wrong RV crowd! The winter texan seniors around here (usually late 60s+) are extremely active outdoors types. Cyclists, etc. everywhere.

Audrey
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Yeah - you are hanging out with the wrong RV crowd! The winter texan seniors around here (usually late 60s+) are extremely active outdoors types. Cyclists, etc. everywhere.

Audrey
I've posted this before, but this was my view of Texas (when I was stationed there). Notice the lack of anybody (any age) in the photo.

http://www.vpike.com?e=33.579508,-102.04797:283.25:

Also notice the curvature of the earth ...

(Not to offend Texans - I know this is only one small part of the state - but I could not resist )...

BTW, this has been a great thread. My DW/me do a lot of travel each year, both CONUS and foreign, and have done so well over a dozen years (yeah, we're on our 2nd passport).

Just an example. Last May, we spent a month in Australia. This June, we're heading off to London for three days, followed by a two week Baltic cruise (Scandinavia, Russia, etc.).

When we return, my wife will be heading off on a Nile cruise with her "travel buddy" (a woman she met/connected to during our Australia trip) in September. In November, the two of them will be going to Canyon lands, with a side trip to Vegas (no, I don't ask ).

Why this "counter thread" is interesting is that I talked about possibly an RV trip while in CONUS, which would allow us to take our two "fur kids" along, and not have to worry about boarding them, as we normally do.

I sent her the links/pictures of a Class C (rental of course) and initially it seemed like a good fit. She liked the setup and the idea that we could travel with the pups.

However, the problem comes in that she is not a "sit and enjoy" person. Wherever we go, she is constantly the "Energizer Bunny" and must see all "current attractions". Be it climbing a medieval wall in Germany or taking the tram in Budapest, she "needs" to "do it all ".

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that is quite content to sit in one place all day (I do - I'm retired) and not have to see the sights.

However, with a camper/motor home, that's not going to happen unless we do a tag-along with a car.

It seemed like a good idea a week ago, but reading the up/downside of RV "living" vs. what my DW desires, I guess we'll just continue to do the route of fly/drive/hotel in our travels (and yes, I did drive in both Ireland and Scotland - on the "other" side of the road - without a problem).

Thanks to all who contributed to both threads on the RV issue...