Why I think RVing Sucks.

Another hint for evaluating a new RV park ahead of time:

Look at the satellite view on google maps. You can usually zoom in pretty tight. Gives a pretty darn good idea of what to expect! Also helps confirm actual location.

Audrey

And some suntan lotion. I hear they have it on sale if you buy at least a gallon...

Scary image created there. Most RVers I know aren't exactly your fitness craze types (unless I'm just hangin out with the wrong RV crowd)

Just too costly, nomadic and passive for my tastes. I prefer playing with far more practical toys like boats:duh:

I have considered an RV.... and think we would enjoy it for trips. But we would not be full-timers or even heavy part-timers. I owned a boat at one time. That experience taught me about the cost of upkeep on an expensive item that I used infrequently.

IMO - If you intend to [-]know you will[/-] use it fairly often, and it is something you enjoy go for it. On the other hand, if you are unsure or only think you will use it infrequently... Drive a regular vehicle stay at a lodge in the NP system or rustic motels. It will probably cost less. If you really want some time with nature, use a Van or SUV and take a nice tent along with some camping equipment and mix it up... some days in a camp others in a rustic motel or park lodge.

Scary image created there. Most RVers I know aren't exactly your fitness craze types (unless I'm just hangin out with the wrong RV crowd)
Yeah - you are hanging out with the wrong RV crowd! The winter texan seniors around here (usually late 60s+) are extremely active outdoors types. Cyclists, etc. everywhere.

Audrey

Yeah - you are hanging out with the wrong RV crowd! The winter texan seniors around here (usually late 60s+) are extremely active outdoors types. Cyclists, etc. everywhere.

Audrey
I've posted this before, but this was my view of Texas (when I was stationed there). Notice the lack of anybody (any age) in the photo.

http://www.vpike.com?e=33.579508,-102.04797:283.25:

Also notice the curvature of the earth ...

(Not to offend Texans - I know this is only one small part of the state - but I could not resist )...

BTW, this has been a great thread. My DW/me do a lot of travel each year, both CONUS and foreign, and have done so well over a dozen years (yeah, we're on our 2nd passport).

Just an example. Last May, we spent a month in Australia. This June, we're heading off to London for three days, followed by a two week Baltic cruise (Scandinavia, Russia, etc.).

When we return, my wife will be heading off on a Nile cruise with her "travel buddy" (a woman she met/connected to during our Australia trip) in September. In November, the two of them will be going to Canyon lands, with a side trip to Vegas (no, I don't ask ).

Why this "counter thread" is interesting is that I talked about possibly an RV trip while in CONUS, which would allow us to take our two "fur kids" along, and not have to worry about boarding them, as we normally do.

I sent her the links/pictures of a Class C (rental of course) and initially it seemed like a good fit. She liked the setup and the idea that we could travel with the pups.

However, the problem comes in that she is not a "sit and enjoy" person. Wherever we go, she is constantly the "Energizer Bunny" and must see all "current attractions". Be it climbing a medieval wall in Germany or taking the tram in Budapest, she "needs" to "do it all ".

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that is quite content to sit in one place all day (I do - I'm retired) and not have to see the sights.

However, with a camper/motor home, that's not going to happen unless we do a tag-along with a car.

It seemed like a good idea a week ago, but reading the up/downside of RV "living" vs. what my DW desires, I guess we'll just continue to do the route of fly/drive/hotel in our travels (and yes, I did drive in both Ireland and Scotland - on the "other" side of the road - without a problem).

Thanks to all who contributed to both threads on the RV issue...

It seemed like a good idea a week ago, but reading the up/downside of RV "living" vs. what my DW desires, I guess we'll just continue to do the route of fly/drive/hotel in our travels...

In fairness, I don't see mention (or concern, anyway) of "downside" from those that actually do RV. REWahoo's comment not withstanding. (Yeah, I am sure it was with tongue firmly in cheek.)

I would not expect any problems with RVing from a "traveler" of your experience. You must surely have been in situations that would make the worst of RVing seem like Heaven.

You must surely have been in situations that would make the worst of RVing seem like Heaven.
True. However I'm a bet hesitant to talk about our "travel adventures" at all (even though we have quite a bit of stories to tell, both of our vacations or when I wor*ed for two Euro companies and traveled there quite often).

We know we are "blessed" to be able to afford the travel, and to comment too much on any situation may border on bragging. We're not that kind of folk, and we don't want to be interpreted as being brash.

That's not/who we are :blush: ...

However, the problem comes in that she is not a "sit and enjoy" person. Wherever we go, she is constantly the "Energizer Bunny" and must see all "current attractions". Be it climbing a medieval wall in Germany or taking the tram in Budapest, she "needs" to "do it all ".
A smaller Class C does not preclude this. You don't need a tow vehicle. Hooking up and unhooking is really not that big of a deal - especially if you keep this in mind and keep stuff mostly put away. Most RV rental folks use them for days trips, returning to the campground each evening. You can always leave your outside stuff behind if you like, and many do. It's just as if you had a big van, and most major tourist attractions have parking for oversized vehicles.

Seems to me - from reading this thread - is that many folks are placing constraints on this mode of travel that really do not exist!!!

Audrey

Seems to me - from reading this thread - is that many folks are placing constraints on this mode of travel that really do not exist!!!

Audrey
That's part of the fear of anything that is new.

While my DW/me are well versed in international travel (I also worked in France/Sweden), there are those that would not (including my wife's family) that would never consider an international trip.

Again - not to "dis" RV folks. It's just that I'm trying to reconcile what I "know" (e.g. my DW's "travel habits") to what I have read on this forum.

Nothing more, nothing less....

And what other abominable creatures in Texas that I read about that can also be photographic subjects?
At first I read your word "abominable" as "adorable", so I was going to suggest the pet scorpions that most Texans keep in their houses...

... but never mind.

Here's a quick LBYM RV Granite Countertop remodel suggestion....:whistle:

It sticks and sucks! :LOL:

You kid, but a few years ago one of our creative tenants decided to upgrade the kitchen counter of her apartment with some of the same product - sticky-back plastic sheeting. When she moved she left it for us. gee. thanks. you shouldn't have. really. I had someone champing at the bit to rent, and didn't feel like playing with a heat gun to remove the stuff, so had our cleaner slap a coat of the high acrylic floor wax on it. When that tenant moved the sticky paper was still in decent shape and I'd grown no more enthusiastic, so left it in place. Its still there.

Doesn't hold up to a knife, so use of a cutting board is recommended, and after 2-3 years there is a spot where cleaning has worn through the color coat to the white sheeting, But its had daily use. If I had an ugly but sound countertop that got maybe a couple months of use/year I might be tempted by the fast cheap easy appearance upgrade. Maybe.

And what other abominable creatures in Texas that I read about that can also be photographic subjects?

catr_071018_U1E27901.jpg

That was actually at Palo Duro Canyon (the first RV Campsite I posted).

No, DH did not use a macro lens for this shot! But he was wearing his snake chaps.

Audrey

For "one night stands" we tend to use the (print) Big Rig Directory - most of these are close to major travel roads.

Lately we've been using Walmart when we can't be bothered with locating a decent park. Sure beats any nightmare RV park.

Audrey

I find that I am using Walmart or Camping World more and more when I am just tooling down the road to a destination.

Sign of a true Texan male: Chaps, rope, hat, and nothing else :LOL: ...

He-haw!!!

At first I read your word "abominable" as "adorable", so I was going to suggest the pet scorpions that most Texans keep in their houses...

... but never mind.

I have no arachnophobia so tarantulas, scorpions and the likes evoke no emotions in me, though I do not see myself having one as a pet. Ditto for snakes, including the ones with rattles. In fact, I have heard them called the "other white meat". But I digress. We have all these creatures in the AZ low desert.

Among the list of hazards that REW propagated, what impressed me the most was chiggers. Chiggers?? What the h*ll is that? Are they in Arizona too? If so, why have I not heard of them? And oh my, you can't see them!

Now, I am fully convinced that what you cannot see can hurt you more than things that you can. Examples include AIDS, Ebola, swine flu viruses, etc... :yuk:

OK, OK, it is far-fetched to compare chiggers to viruses. But don't tell me chiggers are less scary than ticks, fleas, lice, and bed bugs. :nonono: The latter group, at least you can see them...

If I had an ugly but sound countertop that got maybe a couple months of use/year I might be tempted by the fast cheap easy appearance upgrade. Maybe.

I was joking about the "granite on a roll" ;). My RV Formica countertop is fine as is. It's white and does not look ugly. It's just plain, like me!

People travel styles differ. When we were newlyweds in our early 20s, we used to do roadtrips along the West Coast. I still remember as yesterday our honeymoon trip 30 years ago, when we walked through SF Chinatown a windswept afternoon, looking to buy for my new bride a jade bracelet as the souvenir for the honeymoon trip. Yes, my wife still wears that daily.

And then, as we got older and had more money and less time, we traveled the "fly-and-drive" way, just as most of us here do. We could afford to upgrade from Motel 6 to the larger hotels, and tend to stay more in downtown areas. Yes, those places that have outrageous parking fees, or will not let you park your own car, and gouge you for WiFi access.

It has been a while since we did a real road trip. I am looking to do that again. We do not really care for RV resorts, although of course we have not been to one, not owning an RV until now. However, when staying in a "regular" resort, we did it just to stay in a nice place. Other than that, there are little resort amenities that we care for. As we are no golfers, all their golf courses offer for us are a chance to take a walk to enjoy the scenery, maybe. We do not use their swimming pools, as we hardly even use our own pool at home, ever since the kids were grown. They might have nice restaurants, but after a meal there, we would want to go into town for a different experience, and not eating there every night. So, a resort to us is nothing more than a nice room and bed.

When we take to RV'ing, I think we will be on the move a lot. We will do a lot of hiking in the countryside as we have done in past travels. We would still want to go into cities for sightseeing and exploring on foot. That means that we will need a toad, as the RV is too cumbersome to take into town.

Oh, I envision that while in transit, we may stay overnight in a Walmart, an interstate truck stop, or a public rest area. However, I have seen that there are also state-run parks off the smaller highways (with no hookups, and on an honor system) that would provide a scenic stop for the night. For the little fee that is required, I think that is worth it.

So, we will be back to the kind of road trips as we did 30 years ago. However, we will not have to look for a Motel 6 at the end of the day, nor a place to eat. Of course, in exchange for that, we will need to look for a place to park, or to boondock. It is going to be FUN!

Thanks. Walmart it is :), though I've read that some towns pass ordinances to prohibit Walmart from extending this courtesy. How does an RV'er know beforehand for planning?

Thanks. Walmart it is :), though I've read that some towns pass ordinances to prohibit Walmart from extending this courtesy. How does an RV'er know beforehand for planning?
Easy: Walmart Locations - Wal-Mart Guide

The site lists and shows a map view of every Wally World in the US - and whether or not overnight RV parking is permitted. :)

Ah hah! Some sites are noted "Users say No Overnight Parking" and others left blank in the same town near me. So, it is not a city ordinance, or somehow the law is specific to each store. Or is it at the discretion of the store manager? Also, a user-reported site and not an official one by Walmart.

NW, as I understand it WalMart's official policy is that they are happy to have RVers crash in a disused corner of the parking lot. However, no doubt managers have some discretion. More importantly, local ordinances sometimes prohibit this, so you would need to know the local ordinance (frequently a sign is prominently posted).

If you want ideas on how to successfully boondock in non-rural settings, I would suggest perusing Tioga George's website and Cheaprvliving.com

Ah hah! Some sites are noted "Users say No Overnight Parking" and others left blank in the same town near me. So, it is not a city ordinance, or somehow the law is specific to each store. Or is it at the discretion of the store manager? Also, a user-reported site and not an official one by Walmart.
Most parking prohibitions appear to be due to city ordinances but some are obviously because the lot isn't large enough to easily accommodate large vehicles or located in a popular area where abuse has poisoned the waters (Branson, Las Vegas, etc.). Very few seem to be due managers with a bad attitude.

BTW, You often see 18-wheelers as well as RV's overnighting

If you want ideas on how to successfully boondock in non-rural settings, I would suggest perusing Tioga George's website and Cheaprvliving.com

Yes, I have frequented these sites, and also another one by the name of "Mobile Kodger". He prides himself on the ability to do "stealth" urban boondocking :) However, he has a "stealth" trailer made from a cargo trailer, and not an obvious class C like Tioga George's or my own.

But to get woken up in the middle of the night by a passing cop's baton on the glass window and get chased away is not my idea of travel. I may just head to a nearest KOA like RonBoyd does. Or the highway truck stop. Note to self: bring earplugs!

Back
Top Bottom