Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
It seemed like a good idea a week ago, but reading the up/downside of RV "living" vs. what my DW desires, I guess we'll just continue to do the route of fly/drive/hotel in our travels...
In fairness, I don't see mention (or concern, anyway) of "downside" from those that actually do RV. REWahoo's comment not withstanding. (Yeah, I am sure it was with tongue firmly in cheek.)

I would not expect any problems with RVing from a "traveler" of your experience. You must surely have been in situations that would make the worst of RVing seem like Heaven.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #82
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You must surely have been in situations that would make the worst of RVing seem like Heaven.
True. However I'm a bet hesitant to talk about our "travel adventures" at all (even though we have quite a bit of stories to tell, both of our vacations or when I wor*ed for two Euro companies and traveled there quite often).

We know we are "blessed" to be able to afford the travel, and to comment too much on any situation may border on bragging. We're not that kind of folk, and we don't want to be interpreted as being brash.

That's not/who we are ...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, the problem comes in that she is not a "sit and enjoy" person. Wherever we go, she is constantly the "Energizer Bunny" and must see all "current attractions". Be it climbing a medieval wall in Germany or taking the tram in Budapest, she "needs" to "do it all ".
A smaller Class C does not preclude this. You don't need a tow vehicle. Hooking up and unhooking is really not that big of a deal - especially if you keep this in mind and keep stuff mostly put away. Most RV rental folks use them for days trips, returning to the campground each evening. You can always leave your outside stuff behind if you like, and many do. It's just as if you had a big van, and most major tourist attractions have parking for oversized vehicles.

Seems to me - from reading this thread - is that many folks are placing constraints on this mode of travel that really do not exist!!!

Audrey
Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #84
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Seems to me - from reading this thread - is that many folks are placing constraints on this mode of travel that really do not exist!!!

Audrey
That's part of the fear of anything that is new.

While my DW/me are well versed in international travel (I also worked in France/Sweden), there are those that would not (including my wife's family) that would never consider an international trip.

Again - not to "dis" RV folks. It's just that I'm trying to reconcile what I "know" (e.g. my DW's "travel habits") to what I have read on this forum.

Nothing more, nothing less....
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And what other abominable creatures in Texas that I read about that can also be photographic subjects?
At first I read your word "abominable" as "adorable", so I was going to suggest the pet scorpions that most Texans keep in their houses...

... but never mind.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Here's a quick LBYM RV Granite Countertop remodel suggestion....

It sticks and sucks!
You kid, but a few years ago one of our creative tenants decided to upgrade the kitchen counter of her apartment with some of the same product - sticky-back plastic sheeting. When she moved she left it for us. gee. thanks. you shouldn't have. really. I had someone champing at the bit to rent, and didn't feel like playing with a heat gun to remove the stuff, so had our cleaner slap a coat of the high acrylic floor wax on it. When that tenant moved the sticky paper was still in decent shape and I'd grown no more enthusiastic, so left it in place. Its still there.

Doesn't hold up to a knife, so use of a cutting board is recommended, and after 2-3 years there is a spot where cleaning has worn through the color coat to the white sheeting, But its had daily use. If I had an ugly but sound countertop that got maybe a couple months of use/year I might be tempted by the fast cheap easy appearance upgrade. Maybe.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And what other abominable creatures in Texas that I read about that can also be photographic subjects?

That was actually at Palo Duro Canyon (the first RV Campsite I posted).

No, DH did not use a macro lens for this shot! But he was wearing his snake chaps.

Audrey
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
For "one night stands" we tend to use the (print) Big Rig Directory - most of these are close to major travel roads.

Lately we've been using Walmart when we can't be bothered with locating a decent park. Sure beats any nightmare RV park.

Audrey
I find that I am using Walmart or Camping World more and more when I am just tooling down the road to a destination.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #89
gone traveling

Sign of a true Texan male: Chaps, rope, hat, and nothing else ...

He-haw!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
At first I read your word "abominable" as "adorable", so I was going to suggest the pet scorpions that most Texans keep in their houses...

... but never mind.
I have no arachnophobia so tarantulas, scorpions and the likes evoke no emotions in me, though I do not see myself having one as a pet. Ditto for snakes, including the ones with rattles. In fact, I have heard them called the "other white meat". But I digress. We have all these creatures in the AZ low desert.

Among the list of hazards that REW propagated, what impressed me the most was chiggers. Chiggers?? What the h*ll is that? Are they in Arizona too? If so, why have I not heard of them? And oh my, you can't see them!

Now, I am fully convinced that what you cannot see can hurt you more than things that you can. Examples include AIDS, Ebola, swine flu viruses, etc...

OK, OK, it is far-fetched to compare chiggers to viruses. But don't tell me chiggers are less scary than ticks, fleas, lice, and bed bugs. The latter group, at least you can see them...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
If I had an ugly but sound countertop that got maybe a couple months of use/year I might be tempted by the fast cheap easy appearance upgrade. Maybe.
I was joking about the "granite on a roll" . My RV Formica countertop is fine as is. It's white and does not look ugly. It's just plain, like me!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

People travel styles differ. When we were newlyweds in our early 20s, we used to do roadtrips along the West Coast. I still remember as yesterday our honeymoon trip 30 years ago, when we walked through SF Chinatown a windswept afternoon, looking to buy for my new bride a jade bracelet as the souvenir for the honeymoon trip. Yes, my wife still wears that daily.

And then, as we got older and had more money and less time, we traveled the "fly-and-drive" way, just as most of us here do. We could afford to upgrade from Motel 6 to the larger hotels, and tend to stay more in downtown areas. Yes, those places that have outrageous parking fees, or will not let you park your own car, and gouge you for WiFi access.

It has been a while since we did a real road trip. I am looking to do that again. We do not really care for RV resorts, although of course we have not been to one, not owning an RV until now. However, when staying in a "regular" resort, we did it just to stay in a nice place. Other than that, there are little resort amenities that we care for. As we are no golfers, all their golf courses offer for us are a chance to take a walk to enjoy the scenery, maybe. We do not use their swimming pools, as we hardly even use our own pool at home, ever since the kids were grown. They might have nice restaurants, but after a meal there, we would want to go into town for a different experience, and not eating there every night. So, a resort to us is nothing more than a nice room and bed.

When we take to RV'ing, I think we will be on the move a lot. We will do a lot of hiking in the countryside as we have done in past travels. We would still want to go into cities for sightseeing and exploring on foot. That means that we will need a toad, as the RV is too cumbersome to take into town.

Oh, I envision that while in transit, we may stay overnight in a Walmart, an interstate truck stop, or a public rest area. However, I have seen that there are also state-run parks off the smaller highways (with no hookups, and on an honor system) that would provide a scenic stop for the night. For the little fee that is required, I think that is worth it.

So, we will be back to the kind of road trips as we did 30 years ago. However, we will not have to look for a Motel 6 at the end of the day, nor a place to eat. Of course, in exchange for that, we will need to look for a place to park, or to boondock. It is going to be FUN!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, I envision that while in transit, we may stay overnight in a Walmart,...
The best by far of the three options you list.
Quote:
...an interstate truck stop,...
Noisy, very noisy...
Quote:
...or a public rest area.
Also noisy, and often not very safe.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. Walmart it is :-), though I've read that some towns pass ordinances to prohibit Walmart from extending this courtesy. How does an RV'er know beforehand for planning?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #95

Quote:
Thanks. Walmart it is :-), though I've read that some towns pass ordinances to prohibit Walmart from extending this courtesy. How does an RV'er know beforehand for planning?
Easy: Walmart Locations - Wal-Mart Guide

The site lists and shows a map view of every Wally World in the US - and whether or not overnight RV parking is permitted.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Ah hah! Some sites are noted "Users say No Overnight Parking" and others left blank in the same town near me. So, it is not a city ordinance, or somehow the law is specific to each store. Or is it at the discretion of the store manager? Also, a user-reported site and not an official one by Walmart.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

NW, as I understand it WalMart's official policy is that they are happy to have RVers crash in a disused corner of the parking lot. However, no doubt managers have some discretion. More importantly, local ordinances sometimes prohibit this, so you would need to know the local ordinance (frequently a sign is prominently posted).

If you want ideas on how to successfully boondock in non-rural settings, I would suggest perusing Tioga George's website and Cheaprvliving.com

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #98

Quote:
Ah hah! Some sites are noted "Users say No Overnight Parking" and others left blank in the same town near me. So, it is not a city ordinance, or somehow the law is specific to each store. Or is it at the discretion of the store manager? Also, a user-reported site and not an official one by Walmart.
Most parking prohibitions appear to be due to city ordinances but some are obviously because the lot isn't large enough to easily accommodate large vehicles or located in a popular area where abuse has poisoned the waters (Branson, Las Vegas, etc.). Very few seem to be due managers with a bad attitude.

BTW, You often see 18-wheelers as well as RV's overnighting

Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If you want ideas on how to successfully boondock in non-rural settings, I would suggest perusing Tioga George's website and Cheaprvliving.com
Yes, I have frequented these sites, and also another one by the name of "Mobile Kodger". He prides himself on the ability to do "stealth" urban boondocking :-) However, he has a "stealth" trailer made from a cargo trailer, and not an obvious class C like Tioga George's or my own.

But to get woken up in the middle of the night by a passing cop's baton on the glass window and get chased away is not my idea of travel. I may just head to a nearest KOA like RonBoyd does. Or the highway truck stop. Note to self: bring earplugs!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sign of a true Texan male: Chaps, rope, hat, and nothing else ...

He-haw!!!
DH is a native Texan. But I haven't requested this particular ensemble!

Hmmmmmmmmm!

Audrey