Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The "fins" are to direct the hot air/cold air from the Air Conditioner/Heat Pump.
Glad you explained it. I was sure they were horizontal stabilizers....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Glad you explained it. I was sure they were horizontal stabilizers....
That's generally how I explain them -- aids in fuel economy.

Anyway, what happens is the AC unit will suck in the hot air that was being discharged. (The opposite when in Heat Pump mode.) One summer night in Texas with the A/C running non-stop was the "Mother of Invention" -- I constructed a temporary fix out of cardboard. It was surprising how much colder the air was and the unit could relax a bit. When we got home I built what you see in the image. (It was supposedly a "temporary" fix also -- note the wrong size rivets -- but has held up for a couple years so it is not on my list anymore.)

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Ours is mounted inside,
I have one inside also:

Antenna.JPG

It is on a six foot tether to the Router and boosts the Wi-Fi signal so that we can use our laptops away from the RV. I am amazed at how far away we can be -- inside, at the far end of the house, when visiting F & Rs. However, I originally purchased it for that remote possibility of needing to stay at a hotel/motel and needing a secure connection.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
We, too, use a Verizon Wireless "Card." Actually it is more of a "system." It consists of a UM150VW USB device (the Wireless Card) from Verizon, a CTR500 Router (plugged in to the 110v circuit), and a Wilson RV / Trucker Cellular Antenna (Part #301133)..

(I should also mention that 3G Store has the most knowledgable staff I have ever worked with -- both the sales people as well as the techicians.)
Our system is similar. Kyocera USB card and a KR2 Router. Also have a Trucker antenna mounted on an extendable paint pole. I only use it if we have 2 bars or less.

I've learned all the EVDO stuff we need at the 3G website.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Our system is similar. Kyocera USB card and a KR2 Router. Also have a Trucker antenna mounted on an extendable paint pole. I only use it if we have 2 bars or less.

I've learned all the EVDO stuff we need at the 3G website.
Again, we use ours quite a bit while driving down the highway. Permanently mounting it just seemed to make more sense than worrying whether there were enough bars.

Yeah, if you are impressed with their online stuff, you should give them a call. It's like they are just waiting for someone to call them so they can teach you all the great things they learned in class yesterday. Tell them what you want to do and they will find the least complicated -- and least expensive way -- of doing it.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you plan on keeping the two residences long term I suspect a significant portion of your RVing could be maintenance runs traveling between homes...
Quote:
And that is an excellent reason to own an RV. It's the most practical way to travel between two residences (assuming they are far apart).

Plenty of snowbirds down here own a summer and winter home, and use a smaller RV to make a leisurely transit.

Audrey
Well, I am more fortunate. It takes but 2.5 hrs of driving at posted speed limits to go from a low-desert chigger-infested area , boasting a record high of 122F in June (but it's dry heat!), to an elevation of 7000ft with a record low of -26F in January. See how easy it is to play snowbirds in my own state?

Westernskies also has a 2nd home in the Mogollon Rim area. There is a nice subdivision that has its own airstrip, for use only by its residents. With a private plane, one can make the trip in 45 min, including the time to taxi to one's own hangar attached to the house. I remember Westernskies said in a post that his house was in that subdivision, but I do not recall mentioning of a plane. Of course depending on where one lives, driving from one's city home to one of the airparks in the Metropolitan Phoenix may take longer than 45min. We have traffic jams too, you know, although they are not yet as monumental as those in LA.

Anyway, talking about traffic jams, I wonder if the chiggers here have been wiped out, fumigated by auto exhaust fumes. Time to do some research!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Well, chiggers require livestock or wildlife (mammals) to reproduce. So unless you are walking through areas that have recently had such, you might not encounter chiggers. In our suburban yard in Austin it was never an issue, but if you went hiking our in any natural area or on a farm, you might get 'em. Also in someone else's yard next to a wilder area. Usually mostly an issue in taller grass, but I remember enjoying sitting in my chair in a grassy area in a Corps of Engineers park in Arkansas near my campsite - all nicely mowed short - and boy howdy! did I get chigger bit.

Audrey
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #168

The title of this thread needs to be changed to "Why chiggers suck"...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The title of this thread needs to be changed to "Why chiggers suck"...
Why Chiggers Suck

Chiggers the larval stage of the harvest mite. They require cell fluid from a mammal skin cell in order to change to their next stage.
Quote:
After crawling onto their host, they inject digestive enzymes into the skin that break down skin cells. They do not actually "bite," but instead form a hole in the skin called a stylostome and chew up tiny parts of the inner skin, thus causing severe irritation and swelling. Trombiculidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After they get what they need, they drop off the host and morph into the next stage. It is the reaction to the digestive enzymes as well as the skin damage that causes the irritation and swelling. As far as I know, not everyone has a reaction to the chigger "bites".

Anyway - that's why chiggers suck on mammal skin cells.

Audrey
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #170

Quote:
After they get what they need, they drop off the host and morph into the next [adult] stage.
Damn teenagers...

Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Before I bought my used class C, I did a lot of research on the Web. Mainly, I read blogs of people who traveled in a van conversion like Hankster's, truck campers, class Bs like RonBoyd's, and of course class Cs. What do they do? Where do they go? I would try to put myself in their shoes, to live vicariously through their blogs, trying to find a fit.

I quickly ruled out the large and roomy fifth wheels and the class As. They are more suitable for full-timers who need more room. I want to travel a little leaner and meaner. Well, not as lean as a van conversion or a truck camper. The truck camper is the toughest, and can get you into tough spots that make other RV'ers cry, but it is not for me. Whatever I chose, it must also be with considerations for my wife, whom I need to go along. We rarely travel without each other, and when we do so, it is usually for business.

So, it was for me a hard debate between a class B or class C. We probably would be happy with a class B too, if I ran across a good used one to buy. They seem to be in higher demand, and any unit offered in the market got snatched up fairly quickly. It seems people still remember the past days of $4/gal prices, and shy away from larger motorhomes. I missed out on a couple of Rialtas; these are pretty hot. So, when I saw this class C in decent shape, I decided that I could not wait forever.

I learned a lot by reading RV blogs, and to understand the pro and con of each type of vehicle. For example, a traveler pointed out a drawback of using a toad to explore away from the "mother ship"; when finding an interesting place, he cannot stay and has to backtrack to fetch his larger motorhome. RonBoyd probably is nodding in agreement here :-) Another person in a van conversion regretted not going with a truck camper, so that she could go deeper into the wilderness.

There are no right or wrong, just different styles. I saw the allure of them all, and in the end settled down with something that I most likely would be able to enjoy. A friend told me of a relative who started out with a class C, then switched to a RoadTrek. He is now back to a class C! Let's see if I will flip/flop after having some treks on my belt. Hey, how 'bout one of each, so you can take the "right" one for a particular trip?

Happy RV'ing!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
Any suggestions about web sites to visit to look for RVs (like Cars.com or Autotrader.com)?
When shopping for my used RV, I visited those frequently to see if there were new listings. There were a few more that I frequented daily to look for deals. See below.

I also visited a few local dealers to have an idea of the different floor plans. It is too tough to imagine how to live inside one of these, just by looking at photos. The dealers did have decent prices (they lowered the prices as I talked to them, but as I was not sure of buying, I did not make an offer), and there were a couple of RVs that I seriously considered buying. I was holding back simply because I was hoping to buy from a private party, which saved me the sales tax due to the laws in AZ. In my experience, private sellers tended to expect too much for their vehicles, and set the prices too high. Some did not even bother to clean up their vehicles, which was a real turn-off to the potential buyers. I don't understand why they failed to see that.

I also watched eBay and craiglists. Even if the sales were not local, watching them gave me an idea of what the fair prices were. There was one 400 miles from me that I liked, and I would have driven there to get it, but my wife did not like to have to drive our car back by herself.

In the end, I ended up buying from a local craigslist seller, as he just listed it the same morning. By that time, I knew what the fair price was, so did not haggle it down too much from his asking price, and both sides were happy with the deal.

By the way, the used RV market in AZ is not too bad. Big population centers like TX or CA also have many listings. I saw some good deals in "Timbuktu", but had to pass because of the expense and effort involved in getting there and driving it back. These poor owners in isolated locations would have a tough time unloading their vehicles, and perhaps are the sources for my local dealers to obtain used RVs to resell.

RV Trader for New and Used Motorhomes, Class A, Diesel, Class C, Class B For Sale in USA and Canada | RVMotorized.com

Used RVs for Sale | Used RVs for Sale | RVs.Oodle.com

PS. I always checked asking prices against www.nadaguides.com. Some models, particularly smaller motor homes, consistently sold at higher than the NADA listed prices, so I am not sure how reliable it is.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In my experience, private sellers tended to expect too much for their vehicles, and set the prices too high.
That tracks with my experience as well. When we were shopping the used RV market a few years ago it was obvious to me that many sellers set the price based on what they owed on the note, not on market value.

We ended up buying from a private seller who had originally used the "I'm only asking what I owe" method to price his five year old motor home. He had it on the market for a year and had lowered his asking price by more than 20% before I began negotiating with him. I made an offer of what I had determined to be fair market value (using recent sales information from PPL in Houston) but he wouldn't budge saying he had already cut his price drastically.

We really liked his motor home and stayed in touch. A few weeks later he began to show some price flexibility and we came to terms. After all was said and done I learned the reason he loosened up was his wife found a vacation home in Colorado she wanted to buy immediately (they lived in TX and it was July ). They couldn't qualify for the mortgage until the note on the motor home was paid off. I figure he only had to add $20K to the check I gave him to get that done.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.. the reason he loosened up was his wife found a vacation home in Colorado she wanted to buy immediately (they lived in TX and it was July )...
They could have driven the RV to CO to escape the heat, no? I guess people always have to try something different. Some start with RV, then switch to 2nd home.

Some got 2nd home first, then add RV.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That tracks with my experience as well. When we were shopping the used RV market a few years ago it was obvious to me that many sellers set the price based on what they owed on the note, not on market value.

We ended up buying from a private seller who had originally used the "I'm only asking what I owe" method to price his five year old motor home. He had it on the market for a year and had lowered his asking price by more than 20% before I began negotiating with him. I made an offer of what I had determined to be fair market value (using recent sales information from PPL in Houston) but he wouldn't budge saying he had already cut his price drastically.

We really liked his motor home and stayed in touch. A few weeks later he began to show some price flexibility and we came to terms. After all was said and done I learned the reason he loosened up was his wife found a vacation home in Colorado she wanted to buy immediately (they lived in TX and it was July ). They couldn't qualify for the mortgage until the note on the motor home was paid off. I figure he only had to add $20K to the check I gave him to get that done.

Wahoo, is it typical to be underwater on the note on a well maintained RV? Or was there an unusual price drop that the lenders hadn't priced into their amortization schedules?

Ha
Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

I get the impression from my numerous RV neighbors that it is very common to be underwater on an RV these days - especially the higher end ones. I think the lenders were exceedingly reckless during the mid-2000s, and some of the worst abuses were RV loans. I have heard of banks taking somewhat less than what was owed just to clear out the note.

Audrey
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Wahoo, is it typical to be underwater on the note on a well maintained RV? Or was there an unusual price drop that the lenders hadn't priced into their amortization schedules?
Not to reply for REW but yes, it is at least as common as with brick and stick homes. RVs depreciate drastically in the first year or two and virtually never appreciate in my experience. It is not a financially rewarding endeavor.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #178
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I am more fortunate. It takes but 2.5 hrs of driving at posted speed limits to go from a low-desert chigger-infested area , boasting a record high of 122F in June (but it's dry heat!), to an elevation of 7000ft with a record low of -26F in January. See how easy it is to play snowbirds in my own state?

Westernskies also has a 2nd home in the Mogollon Rim area. There is a nice subdivision that has its own airstrip, for use only by its residents. With a private plane, one can make the trip in 45 min, including the time to taxi to one's own hangar attached to the house. I remember Westernskies said in a post that his house was in that subdivision, but I do not recall mentioning of a plane. Of course depending on where one lives, driving from one's city home to one of the airparks in the Metropolitan Phoenix may take longer than 45min. We have traffic jams too, you know, although they are not yet as monumental as those in LA.

Anyway, talking about traffic jams, I wonder if the chiggers here have been wiped out, fumigated by auto exhaust fumes. Time to do some research!
Photo of Mogollon Airpark -January 2010
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az82.jpg (67.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Thanks.

Ha
Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Photo of Mogollon Airpark -January 2010
Great Pic! One of my favorite rides from our condo is the Scottsdale-Payson-Pine-Strawberry-Camp Verde - Scottsdale loop. Sometimes I add Prescott and Wickenburg. The smell of those pines is incredible.