Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So after all the posts, I guess OPs opinion has not changed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm in the research phase - trying to convince DW of this:

I have the right half - I just need the left.
Those stream type trailers can be VERY heavy. Not sure if the right has has enough hitch/GWVR rating and stopping power. You have to be very careful about what you tow.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have, however, noticed an increased number of younger, still working families staying at parks as a (semi?) permanent place of residence. This is evidenced by the before-dawn-leaving of one member (generally the male) of the family and children getting on school buses. These people have the look of all those who have to struggle to make a living -- could be described as "sad" I suppose.
There are definitely RV Parks which cater to "permanent residents" - or working folks. This is common in parks close to urban areas. Interestingly - it is these parks which tend to be most visible to the road. They also tend to maximize # sites - i.e. pack them in like sardines.

In the RV park reviews there is usually mention if a park accommodates some of these "long-term" residents and whether the park is run-down as a result or remains well-maintained in spite of it.

Most RVers RVing for fun avoid these parks unless the park owners keep their parks very well maintained. Otherwise they turn into unpleasant eyesores. Certainly there is always the early morning traffic.

Over the long run, RV parks tend to devolve into one or the other - a park for working long-term residents, or a park for vacationers/retired folks.

Note that the less expensive parks tend to collect the permanent working folks (but location is a major factor). So if you are looking for a less expensive park to camp - don't be surprised. State and National parks and some others don't allow long-term residents, so this never becomes and issue.

Audrey
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We rented an RV for a couple of weeks one summer. We visited Yellowstone, Zion, and Bryce Canyon national parks and a few other great places in Arizona. KOA's were just a place to stop, not a destination. When we had a heavy rain while visiting Old Faithful, we just went back to the RV in the parking lot, changed into dry clothes, had lunch, and ventured back out when the rain stopped.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
KOA's were just a place to stop, not a destination.
True for the most part but there can be exceptions.

For example: Lion Country Safari - KOA Camp Ground
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
So after all the posts, I guess OPs opinion has not changed.
No big deal. The original post was essentially a troll anyhow (he had never even RV'd, best I can tell).

The thread turned out kind of fun anyway.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - this thread has been a blast!

And are any of us RVers offended? No, because we know better and we don't really care what non-RVer's think. LOL!

Audrey
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm happy this thread gave us who RV a chance to come out of the (very small) closet and admit what sad lives we live and how much RVing sucks. Do not make the mistake of renting or buying an RV and don't move to Texas...
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #129
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...don't move to Texas...

I always said I went to Nam to get out of Texas (not really, I volunteered for Turkey - but you know the military ...)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #130
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
No big deal. The original post was essentially a troll anyhow (he had never even RV'd, best I can tell).

The thread turned out kind of fun anyway.
Hey, 130 responses in just a couple of days... just think if Sarah Palin had been involved...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post

I always said I went to Nam to get out of Texas (not really, I volunteered for Turkey - but you know the military ...)
Well, if you were stuck near Lubbock (was that your photo?) - I don't blame you!

Audrey
Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

have to be moving at a pretty fair gait to outrun the gators. do chiggers jump as high as fleas? or jump at all?

non-sequiters a specialty.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RV'ing not for me but I sure like passing them in my M6 up in the mountains.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
do chiggers jump as high as fleas? or jump at all?
They don't jump but have been known to pole-vault several yards.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #135
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, if you were stuck near Lubbock (was that your photo?) - I don't blame you!

Audrey
Yes, that was me.

San Antonio to Lubbock, on to Nam, back to the world and on to Florida to finish up my "tour in uniform "...

Four years in warm/hot weather (and I've spent my entire life about 75 miles west of NYC - other than my "government vacation")...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.

After owning a couple of different RVs in the past, we now find ourselves dipping our toes in the RV life again. We bought a used conversion van that is basically a bed on wheels (with a porta-potti for those night time aging bladder issues). If we find a nice campground, we camp. If we feel the need for "TV and a bathtub", we get a motel room.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/IMG_0470.jpg
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
We bought a used conversion van that is basically a bed on wheels.
A throwback to the 60's 70's...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - does it have bright shag carpeting on the walls?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and don't move to Texas...
Too late.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
After owning a couple of different RVs in the past, we now find ourselves dipping our toes in the RV life again. We bought a used conversion van that is basically a bed on wheels (with a porta-potti for those night time aging bladder issues). If we find a nice campground, we camp. If we feel the need for "TV and a bathtub", we get a motel room.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/IMG_0470.jpg
Neat van! Some of us always feel the need for a TV and a bathtub, but if that isn't the case for you, then have fun!

Quote:
A throwback to the 60's 70's...
My ex bought one similar that new in the early 1990's. The back seat would electronically convert into a queen sized bed by just pushing a switch. It had a TV, VCR, CB radio, table, solar panels, you name it, it had it. Looked just like this one except the colors and pinstripes were shades of Aggie maroon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote