Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just replaced my Prius with a Scion xD, stick shift, massive 1.8L engine. Here is what it looks like.
Wow. Your ESR date approaches and you go nuts with a wild set of wheels!

Quote:
What kind of pickup are you towing?
Nothing as new and exotic as yours. I'm towing a mussel car - you know, one that only cost a few clams...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. Your ESR date approaches and you go nuts with a wild set of wheels!
Yeah, that Corolla engine drives the babes crazy. Plus it has that really high quality plastic all over the cockpit.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #203
Recycles dryer sheets

Gone4Good makes a good point about depressing. I find the rows of RV's parked next to each other even more depressing. But like others have said it all depends on the location and what their is to do. Some RV parks and Hotels are pretty spectacular, like anything you have to find the diamonds in the rough. My main point is based on the experience that I have with multiple friends who have purchased RV's and Campers. At first they used them and loved them, then when the price of fuel hit +$3/gal., they became expensive sheds. Now they are all trying to get rid of them, on craigs list, @ huge discounts from what they paid.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #204
gone traveling

Quote:
I don't see anyone on this thread implying that owning an RV is a cheaper way to travel. On the contrary, a search of the forum will find a number of threads where those of us who own RV's clearly say the cost is higher than going the more traditional car and hotel route.

In those same threads you'll also see questions such as: Have you checked under that Comfort Inn mattress for bed bugs? Dared to shine a UV light on the bedspread or carpet? Are you certain those sheets were changed? Do you know what who slept in that bed last night?

Just askin'....
On the road this week- lunch today was a cheeseburger from room service- when I opend the little single-serving jar of mustard, there was some missing... and a little ketchup streak where someone had dipped a used knife into it. Evidently someone else had already used the jar... yuck. I initially didn't pay attention to the lack of an overwrap- which upon subsequent evaluation, the ketchup jar also was missing. This was a **** hotel, major international chain, not a local roach motel... The manager was horrified when I showed her, but it doesn't change the fact that they were recycling condiments.

My own mustard jar in a motorhome? priceless...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #205
gone traveling

Quote:
Yeah, that Corolla engine drives the LBYM babes crazy. Plus it has that really high quality plastic all over the cockpit.
...fixed that for you.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #206
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am a little surprised that folks haven't talked more about camaraderie at RV parks. We have never RV'ed, but we did cruise on a sailboat, and I can say without doubt that the best part of the whole experience was the great folks we met. People were much more open about striking up conversations with total strangers than I have seen anywhere else. It was quite acceptable to dinghey up to an anchored boat, knock on the hull, and ask the crew to cocktails.

I imagine that cocktail hour in an RV park is similar.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
I find the rows of RV's parked next to each other even more depressing.
I sit, tonight, in a (rather large) RV Park in Salina KS and there are perhaps four other RVs set up here.

I am curious about your analogy, however. What would be depressing about a row of houses compared to, say, sitting for days at the Swimming Pool.

Granted, I don't spend more than a night in any RV Park but... I don't see much of people sitting around their RVs except in groups of very loud happy people sharing dinner (groups meaning 10 or more). I have yet to see that in a motel/hotel situation. (Yeah, I am ignoring the Hotel Bar -- cause that doesn't really count does it. (I, BTW, have been a "traveler" for forty some years... the great majority of that time using motel/hotels.)

Just sayin...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What would be depressing about a row of houses .
They never get to go anywhere?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just replaced my Prius with a Scion xD, stick shift, massive 1.8L engine. Here is what it looks like.

Basic transportation, cheap, and more than enough for me to use as an ESR runabout. Zero to 60 by Thursday.

What kind of pickup are you towing?
Congratulations on finding a new car that you like and fits your needs! It sounds great.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I am a little surprised that folks haven't talked more about camaraderie at RV parks. We have never RV'ed, but we did cruise on a sailboat, and I can say without doubt that the best part of the whole experience was the great folks we met. People were much more open about striking up conversations with total strangers than I have seen anywhere else.
<In my best Phil Hartman imitation of Ed Mcmahon ....> "Yes, sir! You are correct, sir!"

Take an evening stroll around an RV park and you'll have ample opportunity to strike up a conversation with a number of fellow RV types. Not sure what there is about the lifestyle that creates a more open and relaxed atmosphere, but it definitely exists. It may be the simple fact that if you run across someone you can't stand you'd prefer not to socialize with ever again, no problem. Your house is on wheels so you can have new neighbors tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
They never get to go anywhere?
Well, there I go again... lousy communication. I meant houses as in Rvs. (Which is what they really are... the kind that go where ever needed.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

well i for one am enjoying this thread as I too am about to join the ranks of RV owners as I am slowly shedding my possessions for the future lifestyle that fulltiming in an RV will bring me... I admit I worry about finding the right spots to stay but it isn't much unlike buying a house and ending up in a crappy neighborhood... only it will be much easier to move
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #213
Recycles dryer sheets

IndependentPoor makes a valid point regarding camaraderie. I tent camp with my family and their is a friendly feeling about most of the parks and marina's, which is lacking in a hotel or rental situation. My wife and I are shedding our possessions as well and really are enjoying the whole simplifying our life gig. Again - I suppose it comes down to location, location, location.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #214

Rich, did you find a Scion xD in a color matching your motor home or are you going to have to go with an after-market paint job?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rich, did you find a Scion xD in a color matching your motor home or are you going to have to go with an after-market paint job?
That's even funnier than you think: DW felt strongly that the TOAD should color-coordinate with the RV. We joked about it because I had no comprehension of why that was important or even occurred to her.

Guess who won. The car is black with a faint metalic pattern, the RV is black, brown and tan.

39th anniversary next week.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Hey - your DW caught on to the essentials of towing quickly!

Audrey

P.S. We never painted ours to match the RV swirls, but the base color matches (sort of). At least it doesn't clash.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Younger RVers
Old 03-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #217
Confused about dryer sheets

Younger RVers

We rented an RV for a vacation last year, and loved it so much we bought our own rig. We are younger (mid 40s) and have always enjoyed camping and the outdoors and travel in general, but recent health issues have made traveling by air difficult. RVing is a great fit for our lifestlye. We almost always stay in state or county parks, occasionally a private park if it passes the sniff test RV Park Reviews :: Home.

We found a 1998 Class C that needed some work but fit our budget and we loved the floorplan. We paid cash at a wholesale dealer. Over the months, with repairs and some upgrades, we have spent $21K, already traveled 5K miles and enjoyed a month of the most stress-free travel we've ever experienced. We are taking it out again for the Easter holiday.

Vacationing with the dog and being able to have a safe haven if we need a respite make the costs worth while for us, and it can be done inexpensively if you are handy.

Here is a picture of our big girl "Lucille":
"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." - Peter Gibbons, Office Space
StealthSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthSlacker View Post
We rented an RV for a vacation last year, and loved it so much we bought our own rig. We are younger (mid 40s) and have always enjoyed camping and the outdoors and travel in general, but recent health issues have made traveling by air difficult. RVing is a great fit for our lifestlye. We almost always stay in state or county parks, occasionally a private park if it passes the sniff test RV Park Reviews :: Home.
A lot of folks here have questions about the practicality and logistics of renting an RV to try out the lifestyle/traveling experience. I bet they would appreciate it if you shared more about what your initial experience was like and how you rented the RV. It would be worth a new thread in this same forum.

Audrey
P.S. I'm an RV fulltimer but I have never rented an RV.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anyway, reading full-time RV'er bloggers, I found so many interesting stories. The most captivating stories are from those that write well, have unconventional living arrangements and are able to put their thoughts down in a lucid prose. I started reading these as a guide to RV traveling, but then got much more interested in their philosophical viewpoints.

would you mind sharing some of your favorite RV blogs?
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #220
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It's typical.

As Audrey and Rich said, the depreciation slope on a motor home is very steep the first few years. The Excel screen shot I attached below is an average of what happens to the value over a 20 year period.

I have no idea how lenders policies may have changed recently, but the guy I purchased ours from left his paperwork in the glove compartment . He had a 15 year note, and based on his monthly payment it was a straight line amortization loan. The MH was six years old at the time I bought it and paid 50% of his original purchase price.

Yep, he was definitely underwater.
Im not sure Im reading this chart correctly. Does it mean that I could buy a 6 year old RV, travel the country for a year and then sell it and only lose $2500-$3000 from what I originally paid (assuming its well maintained)
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote