Why I think RVing Sucks.

ISeriously, I couldn't agree more that the type of RVing you describe can make the experience miserable for everyone with the misfortune of camping within earshot. Not my idea of a good time.

Next time you see that sort of behavior, be sure to go over and say hi to Audrey. :LOL:
Not us! We don't do lights or noise. We don't even have noisy pets! (no pets). We often don't set up furniture outside - or if we do we tend to put it away at night. We are very tidy.

Hmmmm - I notice lots of lights, do-dads, and noise makers on the "less expensive" trailers people like to use at recreational campgrounds. More so than the big rigs. Not to mention the sprawled out massive spread of stuff as far as the eye can see from pop-ups and tents - although this latter amuses the heck out of us. We love to see families having fun camping even if they have 100 things spread out across the ground. It's a hoot!

But a lot of loud music blasting? Ugh! That, fortunately, is very rare. We've noticed most campers considerate about general noise levels.

We are often chased indoors at night if a lot of smoky campfires are lit. Ick! That's OK - we understand that families consider that to be an essential part of the camping experience!

But if I block your view - too bad! I paid for the camp site and have to park in on the designated parking surface. Many campgrounds have separate facilities for larger rigs versus smaller campers or tent camping. We use the larger (more expensive) facilities where possible - especially for the higher amperage hookups which usually does a good job of segregating large versus small rigs.

Audrey

Yeah, one of the problems with camping/boondocking on NFS land is the lack of any enforcement of the rules of behavior and common courtesy. We stay primarily in state parks, COE parks, and commercial campgrounds which, for the most part, helps avoid the "party-hearty" crowd.
Yeah - we also completely avoid areas that don't enforce quiet rules. We don't feel safe staying in areas that are poorly patrolled or allow all night loud partying.

Fortunately, most state and COE parks and some Fed parks are rigorous about enforcing rules and don't tolerate loud partying RVers.

Audrey

Thanks E86S54 and Independently Poor for sharing some of your "RVing on water" stories!

Yes - I expect very similar to cruising, in general.

Audrey

I'm really not reading a lot of why RVing sucks in this thread. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a van conversion and wanted to hear about the downside. All I get is more and more stories about how great it is.

I'm really not reading a lot of why RVing sucks in this thread. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a van conversion and wanted to hear about the downside. All I get is more and more stories about how great it is.

Maybe the mods could change the thread title to "Why I think RV'ng doesn't suck" ...? :LOL:

Sorry to disappoint you.

But for the record, we owned a top knotch conversion van (Great West Vans), really a Class B Sprinter-based RV for about a year. We liked RVing in that, too. But as our trips got longer (> 5-7 days or so), the cramped quarters became less tolerable, though it had all the systems of the "big boys."

By then we were sold on the lifestyle as a hobby, and up the ladder we went (now in a 35' Class A gas). RVing doesn't suck for us.

Like almost anything you do, RVing has an occasional downside. But if it wasn't something many people found enjoyable I don't think you'd see as many travel trailers, pop-ups, 5th wheels, Class B's (vans), Class C's and Class A's on the road - and if you look you'll see a bunch of them...

I'm not an RV'er (though I'm happy that they're happy doing it and so on, and don't want to rain on their parade - - but you wanted to hear the down side.). Anyway, here are some reasons why I think that FOR ME an RV would suck.

1. They are expensive! And the upkeep has to be pretty high too, as well as time consuming. What about gas prices soaring, or gas lines like we had thirty years ago? What a nightmare THAT could be. And an RV is a depreciating asset. Even the RV enthusiasts on the board admit that RV'ing is not cheap.

2. You have to have a place to park it when you are home. (It's hard enough to find room to park my car, at my house).

3. I don't ever even want to THINK about a black water tank, much less (shudder) empty it. No way, no how, not my cup of tea.

4. Spontaneity in travel is important to us. When we are ready to stop for the night, at a destination that we hadn't even thought of until we got there, I imagine it would be a lot easier for us to find a motel than to find an RV park.

5. When I am traveling, there is NO WAY I am going to slave over a hot stove etc. Part of the fun of traveling is sampling the local cuisine and not having to do the dishes.

6. When I am traveling, there is NO WAY I am going to make the bed, clean, etc. The idea is to get a vacation from chores, not to bring them with me.

7. Frank adds - - if you take a van and convert it to an RV, you can no longer use it as a utility vehicle since it will be full of improvements instead of whatever you might want to be hauling in it.

8. I think a full sized RV would be a PITA to drive.

1. Psssst. Cars are expensive. And they are a depreciating asset too.

4. My personal experience has been that spontaneous travel is much easier with an RV - as is spontaneous travel breaks and dining!

5. Just because you have a kitchen, doesn't mean you have to use it. It's there if you want it, but there is no rule that says you have to cook all your own meals. Yet it sure is handy to have some fave foods on hand and useful appliances when you don't want to be at the mercy of a restaurant FOR EVERY MEAL.

6. Um - you either make your bed at home, or you don't. So what is different about your OWN RV - it's your home too. In a motel - OTHER PEOPLE come in to your room. You have to worry about protecting your personal stuff. And you are renting the sheets, towels, etc. - ICK!!!!! What has been on that bed cover or walked over that carpet - ICK!!!!!

Audrey

W2R, I'm beginning to think you should have changed your forum name to DontW2RV...:LOL:

Just trying to be helpful! Tesaje asked, so I meekly obliged... :) I didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade. What brings great joy and satisfaction to some of us doesn't always work for all.

I'm not an RV'er (though I'm happy that they're happy doing it and so on, and don't want to rain on their parade - -

Just a few more to what Audrey wrote . . .

1) Houses are typically more expensive and can be depreciating assets too. ;)

2) It is my home (or will be)

3) Understood.

5) I personally find eating out every meal to be tiring. I like to go out to nice restaurants occasionally. But having to find somewhere for breakfast, lunch and diner every single day gets to be a bit much.

5) I personally find eating out every meal to be tiring. I like to go out to nice restaurants occasionally. But having to find somewhere for breakfast, lunch and diner every single day gets to be a bit much.
A couple of years ago we spent four months on the road, Austin to Vancouver and back. At the end, we were thoroughly sick of restaurant food. There was a common restaurant taste to all of it.

That said, the mind reels at the thought of me behind the wheel of a 40' class I. :eek:

A couple of years ago we spent four months on the road, Austin to Vancouver and back. At the end, we were thoroughly sick of restaurant food. There was a common restaurant taste to all of it.

Yup, I like my own cooking better than most of the stuff I eat out.

And, best of all . . .

I can have as much wine or beer as I want at dinner without any concern about who is driving home.

:clap:

That said, the mind reels at the thought of me behind the wheel of a 40' class I. :eek:
But you don't have to have a 40' Class A to enjoy RVing! Bigger is definitely not necessarily better - it all depends on someone's priorities.

You can enjoy 80%+ of the benefits of RVing with simple pop-up camper or small trailer pulled by a normal road vehicle. The rest of it (that costs all those extra $$$$) is just the icing on the cake!

Audrey

I'll come out of read-only mode...:cool:

I've never RV'd and probably never will. The reasons are simple:
a) I can't afford it.
b) I would be a terrible passenger. I am way too hyper to sit still for long drives. I would be the proverbial "are we THERE yet?" or "OMG - Look out for that tractor trailer" every 3 miles type of passenger. :LOL:
Trust me, you'd end up putting me up on the roof rack within 100 miles. :nonono:

That being said...I am getting such a kick out of this thread. I am happy to see you all having so much fun with your rigs. Call it living vicariously. Please keep the stories and opinions coming. It is a very enjoyable read for me.

I'll come out of read-only mode...:cool:

I've never RV'd and probably never will. The reasons are simple:

b) I would be a terrible passenger. I am way too hyper to sit still for long drives. I would be the proverbial "are we THERE yet?" or "OMG - Look out for that tractor trailer" every 3 miles type of passenger. :LOL:
Trust me, you'd end up putting me up on the roof rack within 100 miles. :nonono:

So I take that to mean all road trips are out? Car trips tend to be much longer per day. One of the advantages of an RV is that we tend to drive fewer miles per day so that we can enjoy the trip in a more leisurely fashion. It's not all about getting to some destination. Plus there are the nice long breaks at rest areas but still enjoy the comfort of being in your own home.

Audrey

So I take that to mean all road trips are out? Car trips tend to be much longer per day. One of the advantages of an RV is that we tend to drive fewer miles per day so that we can enjoy the trip in a more leisurely fashion. It's not all about getting to some destination. Plus there are the nice long breaks at rest areas but still enjoy the comfort of being in your own home.

Audrey
I get squirrely in a car after about 2 hours. I have to stop and stretch and take a kidney break. Worse than a kid. :blush: I don't have motion sickness.
I don't have this problem on an airline flight under 4 hours, because I am fascinated with the view of the clouds in my window seat (always :D) and/or reading. I have flown across the Big Pond and to Hawaii, taking half a sleeping pill so I didn't drive my fellow passengers nutz.

One of the advantages of an RV is that we tend to drive fewer miles per day so that we can enjoy the trip in a more leisurely fashion. It's not all about getting to some destination. Plus there are the nice long breaks at rest areas but still enjoy the comfort of being in your own home.
Yep, we also try to keep the number of miles we drive each day to a comfortable number and enjoy the trip. Like the old Cunard Lines slogan, "Getting there is half the fun".

I get squirrely in a car after about 2 hours. I have to stop and stretch and take a kidney break. Worse than a kid. :blush: I don't have motion sickness.
I don't have this problem on an airline flight under 4 hours, because I am fascinated with the view of the clouds in my window seat (always :D) and/or reading. I have flown across the Big Pond and to Hawaii, taking half a sleeping pill so I didn't drive my fellow passengers nutz.
Well it's much easier to take such breaks with an RV. We usually stop every 2 hours to have a decent break. Believe me, I know, having recently done several 6 hour each way car trips and it's a lot bigger hassle to find a decent place to use the restroom (ick), not to mention lunch.

Audrey

Well it's much easier to take such breaks with an RV. We usually stop every 2 hours to have a decent break. Believe me, I know, having recently done several 6 hour each way car trips and it's a lot bigger hassle to find a decent place to use the restroom (ick), not to mention lunch.

Audrey
Well, then, take me for a nice long ride sometime. Bring lots of rope. :LOL:

Maybe someday I'll get the chance to be a passenger. I do know a few local folks who own RVs, but they are still w*rking. All of my friends in my age peer group still w*rk. :( But soon I will have a partner in crime after late April when he retires. I'm already planning day trips, "back by dinner" type rides. :D

I'm trying to decide if I want to do a van conversion and wanted to hear about the downside. All I get is more and more stories about how great it is.
Let me think about that. Hmmmm. I'll ask around.

I guess, because I have only been doing it for a couple years, I am still in the honeymoon phase... I would, however, point out that if you have a traveling companion, you each have to have a very comfortable relationship with the other. The quarters are tight and I have known many couples that each "need their space." There would be none of that in a van conversion -- pacing your trips would, of course, negate that but... be aware.

Also, it would be easy to say that "you can't take it with you" but in all truthfullness, everything you really need can be packed. (Emphasis on "really need.")

Well, then, take me for a nice long ride sometime. Bring lots of rope. :LOL:

Maybe someday I'll get the chance to be a passenger. I do know a few local folks who own RVs, but they are still w*rking. All of my friends in my age peer group still w*rk. :( But soon I will have a partner in crime after late April when he retires. I'm already planning day trips, "back by dinner" type rides. :D
Well - we don't consider the driving part of RVing the main point - that is more the necessary evil to get from place to place. Although I do admit that the smooth ride and great high view down the highway in a well-powered DP far exceeds any other road transport I have experienced.

For your friends - Yes - it's best to be retired if you own an RV for recreational purposes, because it's not a good way to travel if you are time strapped.

But - no pressure! There is no requirement to RV if there is no inclination. Really - it's better to have something that you enjoy doing often, and if an RV will enhance the experience, then consider trying one. Otherwise - what is the point?

The RV really is a tool — not an end in itself. Some owners and this thread may have given the impression that an RV is an end in itself - but IMO few people RV just for the sake of RVing (although I occasionally meet someone that does seem to feel that way about it).

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom