Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I was also amazed at how difficult it was to figure out how to get an ebook from our library onto the Nook that DW checked out from our library. It came pre-loaded with some ebooks, but I wanted to see how you actually get ebooks that you want to check out from our local library onto the Nook.

First, I figured that since the Nook has Wi-Fi access, that I could just get ebooks using the Nook. Apparently not (but maybe I missed something). But there was a bunch of references to installing this 'Overdrive' program on your computer. But after jumping through those hoops, that was only for audio-books (again, maybe I missed something).

At this point, I was getting frustrated and did some googling, and actually found some reasonable instructions from some Library in Iowa(!).

It seems you need to install Adobe Digital Editions. Then you have to go through a registration process (another logon/PW to store!), and (IIRC) authorize that specific Nook with this account. I then thought I DLd an ebook from our library (which you the open from Adobe DE), but Adobe DE would not recognize what I DLd. Then I noticed the 1.5MB eBook file was only 4K (!?). Turns out that is only a 'key', and I had to right click and tell it to open using Adobe DE (why DE would not open it directly is a mystery to me). Well, then it DLd the actual ebook file.

I could read it in Adobe DE, but now, how to get it on the Nook? Said I should just plug in the Nook and it would be recognized by Adobe DE. Nope, tried a bunch of things. Finally saw that I had to QUIT Adobe DE, and then it saw the Nook after restarting the app. Dragged the eBooks onto the Nook icon, and it got them. Whew!

This should be fairly straightforward next time, but I expect DW will have some troubles. I can't believe my local library doesn't have some hand-holding type instructions, I will need to contact them about that. And I imagine less computer iterate types would have given up along the way.
Unfortunately, I can't help ERD with his Nook, but for those of you who are interested in borrowing e-books from your local library (assuming that most likely use Overdrive)...

The process was virtually seamless on my Sony Reader (PRS-600 Touch version). I selected my library book and checked out on Overdrive, then downloaded the .ascm file to my desktop computer. Double-clicked on the file, and it jump-started my Sony software and imported the .epub book. The book is tagged as 21 days remaining initially, and you can easily see how much time you have left. When you are done with the book, you right click on the file name in the Sony software and there is an option to "Return Borrowed Item". When you choose to Return, your file disappears and your account on Overdrive clears the book from the record.

It's such a treat when a gadget works simply and easily!!

Charlotte

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I emailed all 15 of the CA libraries that support overdrive, and all said that I have to physically come in there to get library card. It's ironic that to be able to get something that will let me read books without going to the library, I need to drive hundreds of miles to a library.

I could claim that I'm disabled, but I don't think that "living in a remote location" is a qualified disability.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #223
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know that the Kindle is all that but ya have to give it to the Ipad. Enjoy.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I emailed all 15 of the CA libraries that support overdrive, and all said that I have to physically come in there to get library card. It's ironic that to be able to get something that will let me read books without going to the library, I need to drive hundreds of miles to a library.

I could claim that I'm disabled, but I don't think that "living in a remote location" is a qualified disability.
Sorry, I have been away for a while with some nasty medical stuff, or I would have responded sooner. The Overdrive Library system will only work with those readers that support e-pub. That leaves out the Kindle - that is why I ruled out the Kindle from consideration.

As to selection, my library is the Northern California one also, and you are right, their selection sucks! In my entire time of using Overdrive, I think I got 1 book from there. What I have done is when I travel, I make a point to visit libraries and get cards. I have San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego City, and San Diego County. I have also asked friends and relatives for their card number to use as they did not have ereaders. No risk to them, as the book ceases to work when it is due, so no overdue book charges.

I have also been able to acquire many other libraries in other states, so I can almost always find the books I want. There are lots of great libraries with great selections.

As to how you do it with a Nook - I think it was ERD that had questions, yes you need Adobe Digital Editions to check out library books. The book downloads to your computer. You need to "authorize" the Nook, and then you will be able to drag and drop the book right onto your Nook from within Adobe Digital Editions. I can post more detailed information or respond to questions.

The new Nook Color is sort of a poor man's Android table - it is wifi and can surf the web and do email in addition to being an e-reader. It is an LCD, so in bright sunlight it will be like an IPad. It is a 7 inch screen and only $250. I bought some as gifts for some folks this holiday and was very favorably impressed with the new device.

Please ask any other questions and I will respond in a more timely manner.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #225
Give me a forum ...

I have a Nook and for Christmas I bought my Mom who is 94 a Kindle thinking it would be easier for her to use . The verdict is yes and no .The kindle is lighter but the book buying feature of the Nook is much nicer . It is also easier for her to navigate the Nook than the Kindle . Plus I like the way Barnes & Noble have the books arranged . It's easier to navigate in my opinion.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

My library told me that in a month or two they'll subscribe to overdrive.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My library told me that in a month or two they'll subscribe to overdrive.
T-Al, I don't think that is going to help. Our local library serves up it's ebooks through the Adobe Overdrive sight. But there is no Kindle support, at least not through our library. I see wheel9 is indicating this is universal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel9 View Post
Sorry, I have been away for a while with some nasty medical stuff, or I would have responded sooner. The Overdrive Library system will only work with those readers that support e-pub. That leaves out the Kindle - that is why I ruled out the Kindle from consideration.

As to how you do it with a Nook - I think it was ERD that had questions, yes you need Adobe Digital Editions to check out library books. The book downloads to your computer. You need to "authorize" the Nook, and then you will be able to drag and drop the book right onto your Nook from within Adobe Digital Editions. I can post more detailed information or respond to questions.
Thanks, but that was basically it. Although actually (to be technical here), you do not need ADE to check out the book (see below, my Linux experience) - it was just a bit of a puzzle to get from Point A to point B. My library had zero instructions on this, and Adobe's site pretty much ran me in circles. I did end up downloading the 'Overdrive' application to the Mac - but apparently that is not needed at all (not sure what it is for?). It's confusing, as the library site is 'powered by Overdrive', and they have links to this download - but you don't seem to need it. I was able to 'check out' an ebook (get the 'key') on my linux system w/o installing the Overdrive application, and that part worked fine. But they don't make an Adobe Digital Edition for Linux, so I emailed the 'key' to DW's Mac, and the Adobe Digital Edition there then downloaded the ebook fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Unfortunately, I can't help ERD with his Nook, but for those of you who are interested in borrowing e-books from your local library (assuming that most likely use Overdrive)...

The process was virtually seamless on my Sony Reader (PRS-600 Touch version). I selected my library book and checked out on Overdrive, then downloaded the .ascm file to my desktop computer. Double-clicked on the file, and it jump-started my Sony software and imported the .epub book. The book is tagged as 21 days remaining initially, and you can easily see how much time you have left. When you are done with the book, you right click on the file name in the Sony software and there is an option to "Return Borrowed Item". When you choose to Return, your file disappears and your account on Overdrive clears the book from the record.

It's such a treat when a gadget works simply and easily!!

Charlotte
Well, that is the same process for the Nook - the only difference is using Adobe Digital Edition in place of the Sony SW . I assume you installed the Sony SW from CD, or downloaded it? The real problem is just that our library had zero info on what the steps were in this multi-step process. In fact, a friend of ours WORKS at a nearby library (outside our shared district though), and she had to call me to figure out how to get library books on the Nook! And her main job is working with computers all day, transferring file types and all sorts of 'techy' stuff - she's no luddite!

To me - simple and easy would be you go through the checkout process from your library (this is straightforward), and then just drag the downloaded file onto your device. The extra step of the ADE SW, which requires a separate logon/pw to enable, with no indication if this is in anyway tied to your library card, your device, or if multiple people use this same SW, do they need to logon with their own ID, if you download from different computers, do you need to logon to ADE with the same logon. The basic hierarchy and interaction (if any) of these is a mystery. Oh, in the process I tried to de-authorize my installation of ADE - guess what, no instructions anywhere on how to do this. Only through googling did I learn from some forum post, that on a Mac, you type Command-Shift-D to trigger the De-Authorize dialog box. It is completely hidden from the user. Sheeesh!.

-ERD50
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #228
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my neck of woods, the library demand for eBooks definitely exceeded their budget/expectations:
AskGCPL: Is a Library a Library if there are no books available to check out? As of this morning, there are zero titles available from OverDrive in the fiction
I have about 10 books requested and I'm getting only about one book per week.