Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for your post, JonnyM.
Quote:
We use LightBright's for reading at night and not disturbing our mate. A simple clip on LED thing with a little gooseneck for positioning. Cheap and Highly Recommended.
Jonny, can you post a link?

Also, someone recently recommended this new light, called e-Book Lite (which is different than the one you are talking about because there is no gooseneck), on the mobile read board:

simply particular: eBook-Light - a great new option for reading devices

It looks pretty good.

Thanks, Kramer

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

The one big disadvantage with Kindle seems to be no native ePub support and it does not support Adobe's Overdrive library checkout system. Converting non-DRM (non-copy protected) epub files for reading on the Kindle is trivial. Doing so with copy protected epub files is more difficult, but can be done.

Do you know which of the readers is best for epub and overdrive?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

The sony ereader works well with adobe drm.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Sorry, it's called Mighty Bright. We like the design better as this gadget works just as well when we're reading hardbacks or paperbacks as well as the E-Reader. One size fits all. That other device doesn't look, well, very flexible.

Mighty Brights are about $20. They run a very long time on a couple AAA as do most LED flashlights, but as home we run one from each side of the bed with AC anyway, go figure.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #125

Thanks for the pic, Jonny As a perpetual traveler, I might go with the one I linked to since it appears more compact and I rarely read p-books anymore.

Yes, the LEDs have incredible battery life. I vaguely recall that my LED headlamp is supposed to have something like 50-150 hours of battery life (depending on brightness) from 3 AAA's.

> Do you know which of the readers is best for epub and overdrive?

chinaco, I can't really add much here, would suggest doing some research on mobileread.com. My understanding is that most (if not virtually all) non-Kindle readers work with this and rgarling has verified the Sony. It is a bit ridiculous that Kindle has left this off (obviously for proprietary reasons), although the Kindle 3 seems to me to have significantly superior price/performance to the other readers in its class at this time (of course, it won't ship for another month). I also read a hint that the other vendors are locked out of the higher contrast Kindle 3 e-ink screen for a few months, but I don't know if that is true.

Kramer
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Do you know which of the readers is best for epub and overdrive?
I have a Sony Touch PRS-600 reader, and I use Overdrive through my public library to borrow and download epub books to it. The check out and return features are very easy, I was amazed at how simply it worked. It's NICE when things are that simple!! I don't know if the Touch is the "best", but it does work well, and I've been very pleased with it so far.

Charlotte
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am a little confused to imagine that someone would feel that trying to decide on a reader format would mean that that person would never again read a physical book, or go in a library or bookstore or used book store.

It's a ~$200 purchase, but not a wedding.

Ha
But much like a wedding, the newness wears off, and you go looking for a newer model with better features...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

e- book side by side comparison of the
Sony Reader, Kobo, nook, and Kindle. Good to see for those trying to decide on which device to purchase.

The Reading Edge Podcast Blog Archive TRE 30 The Wolf Hall Tournament of E-Readers

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #129

Get a Sony Reader Pocket Edition for $99.99

At Sears.

Get a Sony Reader Pocket Edition for $99.99 | The Cheapskate - CNET News

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Sony Reader, Kobo, nook, and Kindle. Good to see for those trying to decide on which device to purchase.

The Reading Edge Podcast Blog Archive TRE 30 The Wolf Hall Tournament of E-Readers
That is an excellent review, thank you! Objective tests really differentiate between then.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
If someone happens to already have a netbook, I can't really think of any practical reason to have an e-reader. Netbooks are similar in weight, price and portability. Netbooks only allow for landscape reading, but they also have a lot more functionality. The biggest plus for netbooks though, is the complete openness of a netbook, what you place on your netbook, and your information, is yours, it will not get erased later or have the data be untransferable, this is the main reason I will likely never buy an e-reader.

i've used both for reading books (ipad and a netbook) and the ipad was
markedly nicer for reading on the couch etc. I don't think i would get
one *just* for book reading though, unless like others mentioned i was doing
a lot of mobile reading and wanted a more than.. say 4.. books at once

i don't see myself ever putting up with reading books on a netbook
extensively.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
i've used both for reading books (ipad and a netbook) and the ipad was
markedly nicer for reading on the couch etc. I don't think i would get
one *just* for book reading though, unless like others mentioned i was doing
a lot of mobile reading and wanted a more than.. say 4.. books at once

i don't see myself ever putting up with reading books on a netbook
extensively.
I agree with this -- I just don't read books on my netbook. I don't feel comfortable on a chair or couch reading my netbook for long periods because it is heavy for reading and the screen is further from my face.

And a netbook and a reader definitely don't weigh about the same. In fact, the Kindle 3 is just 8.5 ounces (less than a paperback). This is about 20% of the weight of a netbook (2.5 pounds), and 33% of the weight of an Ipad (1.5 pounds). Plus, pricing on dedicated readers has just plummeted. I just bought a Kindle 3 for $139, including taxes and shipping. And I expect my next one to be much better and to only cost $99 or less.

Kramer
Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

My problem with the Kindle is the ease of buying books.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking forward to reading from my iPod touch on camping trips. No more headlamp or book light.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post

I'm not sure I can trust someone whose shelves are so empty.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #136

I've been doing a lot of reading on the iPad lately and have gotten very very used to it. I've read some on the iphone (mostly at the gym on the exercise cycle) but for long reading usually use the ipad.

The other day I came across my neglected Kindle and stuck it in my purse. I was somewhere and didn't have my ipad so pulled out the Kindle to read.

On the one hand, it's lightness was really heavenly. I realized that while I had gotten used to the greater weight of the iPad the lightness of the Kindle is very attractive.

On the other hand, I was somewhere that had light that wasn't all that bright and the Kindle was harder to read than the ipad would have been. The Kindle is readable in non-bright light but just not very pleasant.

Also the Kindle (I have Kindle 2) seemed strangely small compared to the ipad. It seemed closer to reading on the iphone than the ipad in terms of size. Not a deal breaker but something that I did notice.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My problem with the Kindle is the ease of buying books.
There are so many excellent free Kindle books, from Amazon itself. Today I got 5 Jane Austen Books. Last week I got "Can You Forgive Her", one of Anthony Trollope's Palliser Series and one of my favorite bedtime stories.

A book may be free one day, then later no longer free, so I am not sure how that works just yet.

Incidentally for those who might be interested in hearing Jeff Bezos talking about the Kindle, Charlie Rose Interviewed him earlier this summer and it is available at Charlie Rose - Jeff Bezos, Founder & CEO, Amazon.com

Ha
Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

On the one hand, it's lightness was really heavenly. I realized that while I had gotten used to the greater weight of the iPad the lightness of the Kindle is very attractive.
I began reading a very long and heavy hard bound book the other day, printed in very small type. It was hard for me to hold after being spoiled by the lightness of my Kindle plus the small font of the book was killing my eyes. I ordered the same book for my Kindle for $1.60 or so and now I'm much more comfortable reading the book.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know what might be better for the eyes, whether it is kindle, iPad or an old-fashioned book?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #140

It really depends. Personally I find the iPad better since I can change the display to be brighter or less bright. I can get it just right.

Some people feel the iPad has too much glare and like the lack of backlight in the Kindle. The negatives there are you can't read in the dark without some external light and if the room has dim light reading can be difficult.

Suggest trying out both if you can.

Both are better for me than a regular book.