Why Not Spend More on Me Now than Later?

Wow! You still have one of those? They are great receivers! I had one of the models below that one and they had great specs. Somethings just don't need replacing as long as they continue to work well.

Cheers!

Yep! It was a lucky buy, when I was in college. Don't remember if a friend or a salesman suggested it, but that Sansui 7070 has served me well for over 40 years. (As well as the Advent speakers I bought about the same time for about $200--although I have had to replace the mid-range speakers in them a few times over the years, due to playing my stereo LOUD! and blowing them out.) Along the way I have considered getting something modern--such as a 5.1 this or that--but I just love the warm sound that Sansui provides. And now it's even warmer and beefier than ever with my new subwoofer!

Last edited:
... Along the way I have considered getting something modern--such as a 5.1 this or that--but I just love the warm sound that Sansui provides. ...

It's unlikely that any of the 5.1 channels in an affordable modern system would be as good as any of the two channels you have in that classic.

Quality over quantity. Be happy!

-ERD50

It's unlikely that any of the 5.1 channels in an affordable modern system would be as good as any of the two channels you have in that classic.

-ERD50
I think the 5.1 is really set up for home theater. Special effects through different speakers and all that stuff.

I have a Sony A/V surround receiver that's more than 20 years old. It's 5-ch, not 5.1, hence must be used with passive-crossover subwoofers. It predates even component RGB video signals, and only switches composite video signals. Ever since I moved it to put down the wood floor in the family room, I never rewire it for the surround and only use it as a stereo receiver. I looked it up on eBay, and it is now dirt-cheap for this 100W/ch receiver in stereo mode (the power limitation in surround mode is due to power supply restriction and perhaps heatsink capacity).

The older Sansui receivers still command fairly high prices of a few hundred dollars on eBay. Growing up, I enjoyed the Sansui 4000 that my parents had. At 15-yr old, I already knew a lot about electronics, and could read schematic diagrams which used to be included in all user manuals. I opened it up to look at the construction, and remember that it was well-built.

I still have a Kenwood KR-5150 of the same 70-era, and a Technics SA-500 that was perhaps built in the early 80s. The Technics specs are not bad, but they started to use ICs for the RF and IF sections. However, the power amp section was still all discrete, with TO-3 transistors on big heatsinks. The late 80-era Sony surround receiver mentioned earlier also uses all discrete transistors for the power amp, but of course must use ICs for the Dolby Prologic surround functions.

On the other hand, the Kenwood and the Sansui of the 70-era are 100% discrete. If these fail, their transistors can be replaced, while replacement ICs for the more recent receivers are often difficult to locate.

The above receivers are about as old as I want to go; no tube amplifiers for me.

Last edited:
Birdie,

I had a Sansui 7000 receiver for many years. One channel quit working after 30 plus years so I retired it. My son still has the Wharfdale 12" speakers I bought in Hong Kong in 1971.

For me at least, there is no correlation between the grandness of an experience and its hedonic kick to me. Wherever I go, I talk to people and this adds immensely to my enjoyment of life.
Ha
Interesting and (for me) very valid take on things.

When out of the house, I often try to look at my surroundings in a new light, or to experience them in a different way. A chance conversation with a stranger, acquaintance or friend can make all the difference between a humdrum day, and one that seems brimming with possibilities and interest.

The way we experience pleasure has more to do with the contrast, I think, than the sheer amount, or quality, of stuff we consume. If you eat a healthy and balanced diet, then it only takes a small amount of chocolate, wine, cheese or (insert your favorite indulgence here) to feel as if you're in seventh heaven. Similarly, as you walk around a familiar neighborhood, if you take the time to see part of it in a new light, it can greatly add to your enjoyment of the day. That's the way it works for me.

A $2 cup of coffee acts as a ticket to sit in pleasant surroundings with good atmosphere and opportunities for good conversation and observations too. When I lived in Los Angeles, I remember one particular retiree who spent many of his waking hours in various public places, nursing a cup of coffee and a book, and occasionally conversing with the regulars who passed by. From my various conversations with him, I think he was of fairly limited means, yet he was participating in the public life of a large metropolitan area - observing and conversing with the many and varied interesting people around him.

Whether you have a lot of money, or a little, living creatively is the key to an enjoyable life, IMHO.

I also agree that, for me, there is little correlation between price tag and enjoyment.

I'm firmly in the 'price does not buy enjoyment' camp. As an example from last Saturday, I could have bought a ticket to a brewery festival ($50, I think, most going to charity, so I would not have batted an eye). But then I'd have concentrated on finding the best or rare beers, probably would have consumed more, and not felt good the next day. Instead, I volunteered for the festival, had tons of contact with other enthusiasts, found creative ways to make the festival run smoothly, got praise from paying guests and festival organizers, and still was able to sample the food and beverages in moderation. That was a 2x joy experience over just showing up with a ticket, even though I was "working"!

The way I look at it, the knowledge that I will be secure in the future is the best thing I can give myself today.

My favorite words to myself are "you'll thank me for this." I'll never been wrong. Delayed gratification leads to success in just about every endeavor of life (including retirement).

Well, 10 years ago, I invested $12k in music system. It was one of those "spend money now to enjoy life than wait until it's too late." It was money well spent. I still enjoy the music through the system (which will likely to last until I die). I am with others in that I wouldn't deprive of myself of enjoying life by unreasonable/unnecessary amount of belt tightening.

-ERD50
I didn't mention that I have a nice pair of rear B speakers that Sansui 7070 receiver also pushes, to provide a virtual 3D listening experience.

Rrecall that I bought this system in my college days (anyone else remember the early 1970s?)--when The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and tons of other greats were played heavily on that stereo. Oh, those were the days!

Last edited:
"Why not spend more on me now than later?"

People who are truly frugal never like to spend money, now or later. The feeling of financial insecurity ("will I have enough money in the future to be able to survive?") is always present. Therefore we just save now for the future. Check the endless discussions here about a 0.5 point difference in SWR, or a 10% difference in AA, or the importance of inflation in out FIRE models. I guess many of us are afraid. There is nothing we can do against it, that's the way we are.

I already know my spending patterns will continue to be frugal when I retire, even if my spreadsheet shows I can spend two or three times more annually.

Last edited:
...Recall that I bought this system in my college days (anyone else remember the early 1970s?)--when The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and tons of other greats were played heavily on that stereo. Oh, those were the days!
I entered college in 1974, so perhaps am a couple of years younger. But I listened to many oldies of the 50s, 60s, and occasionally some from the 40s.

This thread diverting to audio topics gets me interested in vintage gear again. As reported in another thread, yesterday I opened up one of my old receivers and fixed its variable tuning capacitor, and restrung the dial cord.

Next thing to do is to open up the old Pioneer CS-88 speakers to see if I could revive its high frequency response by changing out the caps in the crossover network. Perhaps 10 years ago, I started to notice that they sounded dull, but never thought of the deterioration of the caps, until surfing the Web a day or two ago and found out that many people had to do that.

About your vintage Advent speakers, have you had to refoam them? Besides the Pioneer speakers, I also have another set from Sansui with 14" woofers. Both my Pioneer and Sansui specific models all use cloth suspension instead of foam surround, hence have no problems in that area so far. My big Sansuis still sound brilliant, albeit a bit weak in the bass despite the huge woofers (they weigh 60lbs each). I still like these speakers, despite them being call "Kabuki" on an audio enthusiast forum.

Last edited:

People who are truly frugal never like to spend money, now or later. The feeling of financial insecurity ("will I have enough money in the future to be able to survive?") is always present. Therefore we just save now for the future. Check the endless discussions here about a 0.5 point difference in SWR, or a 10% difference in AA, or the importance of inflation in out FIRE models. I guess many of us are afraid. There is nothing we can do against it, that's the way we are.

I already know my spending patterns will continue to be frugal when I retire, even if my spreadsheet shows I can spend two or three times more annually.

I wouldn't say it is all fear driven, though caution is certainly a part of it. I just think of it as a fun game to live well for low cost. I like the idea of being anti-marketing oriented and trying to find fun things to do without spending a lot of money.

Last fall one day we went on rocket boats in SF Bay with discounted Goldstar tickets, sat on a bench on Fisherman's Wharf in the sun with a healthy snack from home, watched the sea lions for free, and went to the Aquarium on the Bay with a free library pass. Part of the fun for me is being able to find and plan stuff to do like that and not spend much money.

Yeah, and there's no right or wrong about how each of us does this. At one end of extreme, people spend everything they make and more, month in and month out. At the other end of extreme, people accumulate wealth for the sake of accumulation (well beyond what they will ever need). Almost all of us probably fall somewhere in between.

We do plan on traveling a lot at first when we retire in a few years (mid-50's). So many things have said to travel more when you are younger as it will be easier to do.

To plan for that I basically have carved out $100k as a bonus travel budget that we will draw around $10k/year against over and above the travel budget already planned. Travel is really the only thing I see splurging on from my typical LBYM way.

I'm right there with ya. We've lived beneath our means and saved, time to loosen up a bit. We're pretty conservative, so won't be blowing $$1000s on a turntable That said, dropping it on boat fuel, or travel is reality. So... it comes down to how certain of the FIRE plan are we all? I've seen some folks who plan for 95% plus survival, at 95% success. Really, does anyone believe the models are that accurate? I'm looking at 40 years survival, and high 80s for success. Any thoughts ?

My favorite words to myself are "you'll thank me for this." I'll never been wrong. Delayed gratification leads to success in just about every endeavor of life (including retirement).

Nailed it! Good to know I am not the only one who has these little "talks" with myself as I put aside money every month for the "freedom fund." :LOL:

also, the "dullness" in the speakers might be your ears. decreased hi hz hearing is the first thing. takes longer to lose the bass hearing

I'm firmly in the 'price does not buy enjoyment' camp. As an example from last Saturday, I could have bought a ticket to a brewery festival ($50, I think, most going to charity, so I would not have batted an eye). But then I'd have concentrated on finding the best or rare beers, probably would have consumed more, and not felt good the next day. Instead, I volunteered for the festival, had tons of contact with other enthusiasts, found creative ways to make the festival run smoothly, got praise from paying guests and festival organizers, and still was able to sample the food and beverages in moderation. That was a 2x joy experience over just showing up with a ticket, even though I was "working"!
Fantastic example!

also, the "dullness" in the speakers might be your ears. decreased hi hz hearing is the first thing. takes longer to lose the bass hearing
Not true with me! I can tell that my JBL and the Sansui still sound great in the high range. It's just those CS-88 that sounded dull. :cool:

Before I change out the caps in the crossover, I am going to run a frequency sweep to prove to myself that the signals do not get to the tweeters, and it's not me who is going deaf. ;)

Off subject, but NW-Bound's post made me think of this.

When at the BX in Vietnam, a couple of us were looking at amplifiers and speakers, and discussing the merits of each's high range. In walked our Flight Surgeon. Upon hearing our conversations he said: 'You guys are crazy! i know what you fly, and I have seen your hearing test. You are wasting your money on anything over a basic set. Only your wife and dog will hear the high range.' Still have two round Pioneer speakers. Not sure the model number.

Welcome Back Rustic 23. It's about time for another ER Houston reunion.

Back
Top Bottom