Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb391 View Post
it's been advised NOT to use your real address as HOME in case vehicle (w/keys) is stolen. use a house a few doors down
Yes, I know that, thanks, but it's pretty easy to get my home address multiple other ways also. (Google helps!)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I place my Garmin mount below the registration and inspection stickers in the lower left area of the windshied (those DPS issued stickers already obstruct my view). The Garmin is then directly between me and the stickers. Works fine and it's there all the time.
You won't have to worry about those Texas vehicle inspection stickers getting in your way pretty soon. See 2013 (HB2305)

Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
You won't have to worry about those Texas vehicle inspection stickers getting in your way pretty soon. See 2013 (HB2305)
Only one sticker to hid it behind next year!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #44

Garmin may have some virtues but having to pack it, charger and beanbag mount, in addition to your phone, outweighs those virtues, by a wide margin.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Garmin may have some virtues but having to pack it, charger and beanbag mount, in addition to your phone, outweighs those virtues, by a wide margin.

I understand your point. That is a lot of work.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #46

It's not a lot of work, just extra stuff to pack.

I've dragged my Garmin to Europe. Even had to reload maps while in Italy once.

It's not as easily transportable as modern mobile devices though.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not a lot of work, just extra stuff to pack.

I've dragged my Garmin to Europe. Even had to reload maps while in Italy once.

It's not as easily transportable as modern mobile devices though.
I'm the same way. I will only take my Europe Garmin when I go on a trip where I rent a car. So far I have been able to avoid driving in Europe.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb391 View Post
it's been advised NOT to use your real address as HOME in case vehicle (w/keys) is stolen. use a house a few doors down
I've heard that old pearl, and some auto theirs might be "fooled," but with the owners address on the registration if not other documents typically left in the car...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I used to swear by a Garmin GPS (and still do boating), but
a) more and more people have smartphones so why pay for a separate unit, but more importantly IMHO
b) Google/Apple Maps are automatically updated and likely to be more current that any Garmin unit. The GPS sellers have free map updates now, but you still have to connect and manually update (even plug into an online PC) IIRC. Some folks may still have a bad taste from the days when you had to pay (dearly) to update your Garmin maps.

But the really dumb $ option is paying for an integrated nav system from the automakers. They cost way more than a Garmin or smartphone, map updates are still not free from automaker/dealers, and you won't believe what they cost to replace when they go bad...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Why Older Folks Need a GPS:
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #50

Good points, Midpack. I suppose I view it as not being an either-or decision. I have both a dedicated GPS and an iPhone and use as appropriate. Choice is good (device lifetime free map updates helps).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I stand corrected. I was curious about all the complaints of taking considerable time to "update" the Garmin units. So I decided to time just exactly how long it takes.

I update the maps 4 or 5 times a year (they promise 4) and it has, for the past several years, taken maybe a half hour total for all three devices -- a Nüvi 680, a Nüvi 785, and a Nüvi 3590LMT. However, tonight there was, apparently, a software update included (or the map update was larger than usual) because the 3590 took right at three hours, the 785 took an hour, and the 680 took 24 minutes.

Yeah, that seems a little excessive even though I really wasn't doing anything else on that computer and wasn't driving anywhere. <grin> The point is I was wrong and I apologize.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #52

The processors on these units are poor. I know Garmin tried to use more competitive components a couple of years ago but the unit was around $400, which is about what a good smart phone is these days.

As for car integrated GPS, yes it's a huge racket but unfortunately, they package them up with some things you want like bluetooth or HID. And for some luxury imports, the only inventory a lot of dealers have all come with these tech packages which cost several thousand.

The luxury marques are the ones also pushing out self-driving features, like laser cruise control, auto parking, etc. Again, you get stuck with these big packages.

But if there was a market that ever deserved to be disrupted, it would be stuff like this, where the car maker force overpriced electronics and dealers get in on the action, with $300 map updates and other malarkey.

Just get a good mount for your phone or iPad and don't pay for OEM electronics in cars if you can avoid it.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That is because the phone is so tiny... and. in any event, the vents are in a position where you have to squint at the phone AND watch the road. One may as well be Texting.
Not much of an issue of late (assuming you're okay with big phones). Most new smartphones are at least 4" diagonal, and more and more 5+" models are being released. There are also tablets with satellite GPS if you want even bigger.

Really just a matter of personal preference at this point.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #54

I imagine there are Jehovah's Witness people who would be happy to free others from the pain of having a GPS.

It'd be cool, sort of like donating a puffy shirt for a new Dick Tracy Apple Watch.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected. I was curious about all the complaints of taking considerable time to "update" the Garmin units. So I decided to time just exactly how long it takes.

I update the maps 4 or 5 times a year (they promise 4) and it has, for the past several years, taken maybe a half hour total for all three devices -- a Nüvi 680, a Nüvi 785, and a Nüvi 3590LMT. However, tonight there was, apparently, a software update included (or the map update was larger than usual) because the 3590 took right at three hours, the 785 took an hour, and the 680 took 24 minutes.

Yeah, that seems a little excessive even though I really wasn't doing anything else on that computer and wasn't driving anywhere. <grin> The point is I was wrong and I apologize.
One little gem I got from Garmin tech support, after an update corrupted mine.

The update is a 2 asnyrounous processes. One basically does an FTP like process, transfer the data across the link as fast as it can, your speed is limited by network and hard drive. The second is taking whatever data that's now on your local drive and writing to the Garmin. The UI shows as update complete when the transfer is complete to the pc. Your device may not be fully updated! If you watch the Garmin drive though windows you have to wait till all I/O is
quisced on the Garmin drive or your maps are corrupt. He didn't tell me is that was considered a defect or feature. This was last year, the end of October. I recall the date as I still had tears in my eyes at the end of game 7.:confused:

On our speedy 2Mbs DSL it's a multi hour process updating a nuvi 1450.

🐑
Old 05-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #56

There are all kinds of mobile mapping apps, many free, which allow you to download maps for offline use.

These all seem to be faster than Garmin's process.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I update the maps 4 or 5 times a year .... However, tonight there was, apparently, a software update included ...
Careful with that, I got an update for my Tom-Tom that changed the UI and moved features that I use off the main screen. I was really PO'd. Took me a lot of work to get back the older firmware. IIRC, there might be a catch-22 now, you need the newer FW to update a map. I scratched Tom-Tom from my list for that reason.

Quote:
There are all kinds of mobile mapping apps, many free, which allow you to download maps for offline use.

These all seem to be faster than Garmin's process.
I started using OSMand with the OpenStreetMaps. It's klunky in many ways, but fantastic in other ways, and I can use it on my tablet without a data connection.

https://www.openstreetmap.org
OsmAnd - OpenStreetMap Wiki

-ERD50
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stopped using the dashboard GPS a couple of years ago. I use the Waze app on my iPhone. It's a crowd sourced app that give pretty accurate traffic conditions. It will reroute me to avoid traffic jams. The voice directions are great. I hardly have to look at the screen.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The update is a 2 asnyrounous processes. One basically does an FTP like process, transfer the data across the link as fast as it can, your speed is limited by network and hard drive. The second is taking whatever data that's now on your local drive and writing to the Garmin.
During the upgrade process one is given the choice of uploading to the device AND your PC or to the device only. I long ago started selecting "device only" because it shortened the time but I also never found a need to keep a local copy.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I stopped using the dashboard GPS a couple of years ago. I use the Waze app on my iPhone. It's a crowd sourced app that give pretty accurate traffic conditions. It will reroute me to avoid traffic jams. The voice directions are great. I hardly have to look at the screen.
Does your iPhone do all this? (And how useful is it while in stressful unfamiliar conditions... like in big city traffic at 70 MPH and exits going off in six directions during (semi?) rush hour traffic?)