Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9
Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Here is a question i've been wondering about. Baby boomers, by definition, think we do things cooler and smarter than our parents ever could. But do you think that will play out in retirement as well? Or have we mellowed to the point where our retirements will be more or less the same as our parents. If you have any thoughts about this, i would love to hear them, including war stories on how your "golden years" are different.
__________________

__________________
Boomerbaby<br />http://topretirements.com
johnbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern, Florida
Posts: 925
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbaby
Here is a question i've been wondering about. Baby boomers, by definition, think we do things cooler and smarter than our parents ever could. But do you think that will play out in retirement as well?
It already has for me. My dad retired when he was 69, I retired at 49. My income is about 3X his. Also, my annual income is about equal to his entire savings. He lives in a godforsaken desert. I live at the beach.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2006 at age 49.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 388
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that boomers think they do things cooler and better. However, I retired a year later than my father (59 verses 58) but still dabble a little at various things on my schedule. His house was paid for; mine is not. He was more frugal than I have been, so I'm not sure who the "cooler" one was. He liked to travel; I enjoy some travel, but would rather hang out at home. Frankly, I don't see a lot of difference.

setab
__________________
I told you I&#039;d taunt you a second time.
setab is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

My father went from running a small chicken farm with his father to running a small business out of his home designing and making radio collars to track animals. This was an interesting business. I remember as a child out in rural Minnesota having a Saudi prince come visit our home in his flowing robes to meet my father who designed a radio collar for his hunting falcon.

My dad did not have a lot of business acumen and didn't patent anything he designed and didn't charge enough for what he made. So we didn't have much money. The money dropped even more after my mother died and my father had to manage 4 children, two who where in diapers and one who was disabled. He had a lot of health problems and so he gradually worked less and towards the end of his life got social security disability. His goal was to live until my brother finished high school. He just made it. he always had a good attitude, was never depressed about life, and enjoyed his work.

My life turned out so different from his life that there is no comparison.

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
It already has for me. My dad retired when he was 69, I retired at 49. My income is about 3X his. Also, my annual income is about equal to his entire savings. He lives in a godforsaken desert. I live at the beach.
Not a "boomer". Missed by a couple years. My entire adult life was
lived on a much grander scale than my folks. Retirement also.
Dad quit at 67. I "SEMIed" at 49.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,720
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Dad retired at 65 and lived humbly for 30 years. I retired at 59 and am living well so far (4 years with spouse, father's spouse died when he was 65):
Us - Him - What?
2000 - 800 - House s.f.
2 - 1 - Cars
3000 - 100 - Gifts to children each year
4 - 0 - Travel
0 - 800 - Cottage s.f.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 214
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Both my parents would be shocked if they were still alive. They were pretty much of the "work and save until you die" mentality...spending of any kind was to be avoided. I cannot go down that same road.
__________________
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
They were pretty much of the "work and save until you die" mentality...spending of any kind was to be avoided. I cannot go down that same road.
I think the govt and the financial industry are working very hard to get more Boomers to pick up at least one of the two mentalities.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 717
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

My dad FIRE'd at 55. I made it at 56. I was about 14 before I figured out he wasn't poor, but he chose to drive an old car and live below his means. I didn't quite understand it at that time, but something must have stuck, because I end up pinching a penny at least as hard as he did.
__________________
Random Reinforcement is Highly Addictive.
riskadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Okanagan Valley
Posts: 805
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
My dad FIRE'd at 55. I made it at 56. I was about 14 before I figured out he wasn't poor, but he chose to drive an old car and live below his means. I didn't quite understand it at that time, but something must have stuck, because I end up pinching a penny at least as hard as he did.
I think LBYM habits tend to stick between generations. I always was somewhat irritated at how frugal my parents were, but recognized by time I was 30 how that set them up for retirement. Spouse was in similar situation. So she and I have done much the same, though not quite as frugal as they were because my earning power was significantly larger than theirs was. Our 2 sons have been following our example so far.
__________________
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Any excess money that they have now is mostly a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
I was about 14 before I figured out he wasn't poor, but he chose to drive an old car and live below his means. I didn't quite understand it at that time, but something must have stuck, because I end up pinching a penny at least as hard as he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
I think LBYM habits tend to stick between generations. I always was somewhat irritated at how frugal my parents were, but recognized by time I was 30 how that set them up for retirement. Spouse was in similar situation. So she and I have done much the same, though not quite as frugal as they were because my earning power was significantly larger than theirs was. Our 2 sons have been following our example so far.
LBYM frugality may be a great habit to get us to ER, and it's certainly a great habit to fall back on in tough years of ER, but why would people stay frugal long beyond the point at which it makes sense?

I think we tend to develop habits that have the greatest return on investment and we have a tough time changing a habit that's already been optimized. At the point in our lives where we could "loosen the purse strings" and "live a little", we still see more value in saving for our grandkid's education or bequeathing $35M to charities instead of a new car or flying first class or dining finely.

Especially when we can inflict our frugality on our descendents by guilting the heck outta them...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 214
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
LBYM frugality may be a great habit to get us to ER, and it's certainly a great habit to fall back on in tough years of ER, but why would people stay frugal long beyond the point at which it makes sense?
I see no point in frugality except as a means to an end...If I won the lottery all this LBYM crap would dissapear in a heartbeat
__________________
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

A large number of baby boomers indicate that they are looking forward to a transitional retirement. They plan to cut back gradually, or switch to another (less stressful) career, or work intermittently. This is as opposed to working full-time until retirement, then quitting completely.

Time will tell whether this turns out to be true.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #14
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
LBYM frugality may be a great habit to get us to ER, and it's certainly a great habit to fall back on in tough years of ER, but why would people stay frugal long beyond the point at which it makes sense?
Mostly because by that time it is longer fun spending any money!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Hmmm

Being a really cheap bastard when you can afford to is one way of getting your perverted left handed jollies -- vs say having to live in poverty.

Not all of us golf or ah surf.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - of course frugal in one area allows splurging in another - eye of the beholder and all that rot.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 717
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
A large number of baby boomers indicate that they are looking forward to a transitional retirement. They plan to cut back gradually, or switch to another (less stressful) career, or work intermittently. This is as opposed to working full-time until retirement, then quitting completely.

Time will tell whether this turns out to be true.
The queue for WalMart greeter must be 150 deep already. I have a hard time thinking that there are going to be jobs for all these boomers. A better plan might be to acquire a taste for pet food.
__________________
Random Reinforcement is Highly Addictive.
riskadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
The queue for WalMart greeter must be 150 deep already. I have a hard time thinking that there are going to be jobs for all these boomers. A better plan might be to acquire a taste for pet food.
Yeah. I'm skeptical too. When I read what a lot of boomers are saying about transitional retirement and not wanting to stop working, I wonder if the 65 year old version of these people will think the same way. Who do they think is going to want to hire them part-time when they're 65+ years old?
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Yeah. I'm skeptical too. When I read what a lot of boomers are saying about transitional retirement and not wanting to stop working, I wonder if the 65 year old version of these people will think the same way. Who do they think is going to want to hire them part-time when they're 65+ years old?
I agree!

I think transitional retirement is a myth. I tried it about 5 years ago. I wanted to work 20 hours per month. I only found contracts that wanted me to work 80 hours a week, and then not call me for 4 months. Impossible to plan my life around. - After 1 year of this - I quit! - Pissed me off more than a full time job.

I don't think employers are too keen on part timers at all.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 214
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I think transitional retirement is a myth. I tried it about 5 years ago. I wanted to work 20 hours per month. I only found contracts that wanted me to work 80 hours a week, and then not call me for 4 months. Impossible to plan my life around. - After 1 year of this - I quit! - Pissed me off more than a full time job.
This goes to the questions I have about consulting work...pays well but a PITA to line up jobs. You need to be "on retainer" to have a steady income but then you are always on call. Flipping burgers anyone?
__________________
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents
Old 10-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,720
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Re: Will baby boomers retire different from their parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
This goes to the questions I have about consulting work...pays well but a PITA to line up jobs. You need to be "on retainer" to have a steady income but then you are always on call. Flipping burgers anyone?
I also found that every assignement led to a lucrative request for fulltime employment (albeit on a consulting pay scheme). So the money after tax was very attractive and it was much more fun than neing employed. But after ten years (and three CEO jobs), I decided to retire for real. Each assignment was followed by an intense period to get the next one. Only the last one was a result of Ernst & Young headhunting me. After that, I turned down two offers so I could stay retired.
__________________

__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
500 search phrases for 2006 dory36 Other topics 2 01-16-2007 08:00 AM
How the Baby Boomers will Rock the Market PsyopRanger FIRE and Money 17 07-10-2006 11:00 AM
baby boomers article farmerEd FIRE and Money 33 03-08-2006 10:16 PM
Baby Boomers renferme Life after FIRE 64 02-09-2006 06:01 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.