Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I was supposed to care?

I guess I cared about them as much as they cared about me...
+1 million

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I was close to a lot of my staff. Some had worked for me for years and were really concerned about starting over with a new manager they might not click with, so I felt bad about that.

Projectwise I used to get the big budget, failed IT projects assigned to me to fix up. That was partly why I left. I'd get a project under control and then they'd reassign it to someone else and give me another disaster. It was nonstop stress and crises management.

After I left and they had their next disaster project, they called me at home to come back. The manager who called actually said they had a big meeting to try to figure out who could take over some major disaster and my name was the only one that came up. I didn't go back. Shortly after that call I heard my ex-director was out the door.

I never followed up to find out who ended up getting put in charge of the project I had been called about so I guess that means I didn't care. I was just glad it wasn't me.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
After I left and they had their next disaster project, they called me at home to come back. The manager who called actually said they had a big meeting to try to figure out who could take over some major disaster and my name was the only one that came up. I didn't go back. Shortly after that call I heard my ex-director was out the door.
The only way I'd even consider going back to help a former employer on an ad hoc basis would be if they offered me what I call "crazy-stupid money".

Meaning...they'd be crazy and stupid for offering it, and I'd be crazy and stupid for turning it down.

It would basically have to be at least an order of magnitude more than what I was making. If I was making $100,000 in salary, they could have me back for one year for $1,000,000. Oh, and that's the AFTER-tax amount I want to walk away with, so it actually needs to be $2,000,000 gross.

I imagine after hearing that, they'd get the point and hang up the phone, LOL.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
The only way I'd even consider going back to help a former employer on an ad hoc basis would be if they offered me what I call "crazy-stupid money".

Meaning...they'd be crazy and stupid for offering it, and I'd be crazy and stupid for turning it down.

It would basically have to be at least an order of magnitude more than what I was making. If I was making $100,000 in salary, they could have me back for one year for $1,000,000. Oh, and that's the AFTER-tax amount I want to walk away with, so it actually needs to be $2,000,000 gross.

I imagine after hearing that, they'd get the point and hang up the phone, LOL.
They actually said we will pay you whatever you want, though I don't think they meant that quite literally. I think about it like the Star Trek episode where alternate universe Riker refuses to go back to the reality where the heartless Borg won the war and are in charge. He said something like, "You just don't know what was like. I'm not going back. I'm never going back. You can't make me go back."

Okay, so maybe it wasn't quite that bad. I did offer to go back to be a part time consultant and help train someone else to take over that type of project. But I said I would not be in charge of the whole project, plus I put in some travel and weekly hour work limits, and they turned that down.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Things were going downhill at my megacorp for a couple of years prior to my retirement. I left about 3 months ago and it did not take long before I just didn't care what was going on there anymore. I've been having semi-regular lunches with several co-workers who I consider friends, so I know things have not changed. If anything things are getting worse. I hope it works out for them individually, but I care less and less by the day about the projects I was working on and whether they eventually succeed or fail.

I just got my lump sum pension payout, so the ongoing success of megacorp is even less important to me now.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Will I care?
Well, hard to answer. My last position 1984-1986 was as special project manager, to close down 1400 franchises and 500 company operations. When I left, there was no one left to care about.

But... watching thousands of people who had to end their careers because of the shut down... well.... yeah... I cared a whole lot. It was through me that many of them had signed on, so only fitting that I had to give them the sad news. A bittersweet time in my life.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

It took me about 2 years. There are still things I miss about the job - but not enough to go back to it! I miss the people but the way corporations churn people in and out these days ,there are hardly any people I knew that are still employed there.
Recently I ate breakfast with 4 of my former co-workers and realized 3 of the 5 of us had left the company by lay-off. One had retired on her own but several years prior had taken a lower paying position after having her job eliminated. She felt her job was again in jeopardy and left because her retirement was based on her highest salary of 5 out of the last 10 years and she had just completed the 5th year of her lower paying position. The fifth person retired by taking advantage of an early retirement incentive.
I also think you have to be 'psyched up' to perform your job at max level and that takes a while to go away too.
Congratulations on your retirement!