Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
How's it working out for you, my fellow classmates?
You're ahead of me by two months, but I'm doing okay, too. I've upped my daily exercises by about 20 minutes. I'm practicing increasing my puttering time -- today, I just set out 6 pots of tropical seeds, repotted 3 pretty little plants from the garden store, and started 2 pots of plumeria cuttings.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #222

This last 18 months for us has been everything we hoped for, and more. In 2010 we had some great vacations. A month in Colorado, 10 weeks in England, and a month in Canada. This year we are in the middle of a 6 month vacation in England, including a couple of trips abroad to Ireland and Madeira.

When not traveling our exercise regime is fairly extensive, going to the YMCA every weekday morning, doing a wide variety of exercise classes, plus we often ride our bikes the 6 miles to the gym. At weekends we usually play tennis with our son and friends and/or go on bike rides.

This long vacation is England is great as we are situated on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors and can get up and do whatever we want depending on the weather.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

10 months for me on June 6th and I can say retirement is even better than I had imagined.

I am playing duplicate bridge 3x a week and competing in regional and national bridge tournaments. Just got back from a tourney in Richmond VA that was a lot of fun.

Did a rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon last fall which was a blast.

But the absolute best thing is I am exercising more, eating better, have lost 22 pounds, and my physician took me off my Hyzaar (blood pressure) and omeprazole (GERD). Don't need either any more due to weight loss, exercise and loss of stress from job at Megacorp. In fact I was nearly passing out every time I stood up from hypotension until I went off the Hyzaar.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
But the absolute best thing is I am exercising more, eating better, have lost 22 pounds, and my physician took me off my Hyzaar (blood pressure) and omeprazole (GERD). Don't need either any more due to weight loss, exercise and loss of stress from job at Megacorp. In fact I was nearly passing out every time I stood up from hypotension until I went off the Hyzaar.
That is absolutely awesome - well done indeed !!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #225

8 months for me as of this week. The time has gone amazingly fast. Best thing is 95% reduction in stress level - DH confirms I am a way nicer person to be around now. Haven't traveled as much as I expected but it is really nice not to be rationing vacation days and going pretty much when we want to. Also a bit surprised that I watch no more TV than before RE. Definitely reading more books, though. All in all, absolutely glad I pulled the trigger when I did.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #226
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
[M]y physician took me off my Hyzaar (blood pressure) and omeprazole (GERD). Don't need either any more due to weight loss, exercise and loss of stress from job at Megacorp....
Before I ER'd, I was on prescribed medication for what I believed was stress-related health complications. Long story short: I no longer ingest (expensive) pills.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yesterday marked my one-year anniversary being ER'd. Wow, the year went by quickly! I've de-cluttered and thoroughly cleaned my home, exercised much more, read a ton of books, worked on my hobbies, and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast almost every day. So far, so good. As someone else said here some time ago--which became my motto (after repeating "Life is short" while deciding whether to ER): "Everyday is Saturday."

A little over 13 months for me. As with you the year passed by so quickly that I hardly noticed it. Though I'd hoped to do things like clean up home and exercise more my art 'hobby' has taken up all my time. But that's really why I quit work. I wanted to be able to devote full time to it. In fact I was going nuts not being able to do so.

So now after a year of that, and a very happy one, I think year two is one in which I should find more balance and do some of those household chores, and in particular get more exercise. I do get some but not the daily exercise I'd planned on. One reason I quit was to do the best I could to assure good health. Exercise has to be part of that, at least for me.

What's amazing to me is that there still is nowhere enough time in the day to do everything I'd like. And I hardly even have noticed that I'm no longer working. I guess my mind had left work long before my body. Once I was gone it was just like a minor distraction had disappeared.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #228
Dryer sheet wannabe

ER'd since 7/2010
DW says, "retired for two weeks and you've got the Fiat on the road again!" Poor thing was in the garage for 14 years.

Life is too short to NOT drive a convertible.

Then it was off to Maui for a month. My stress level is way down. My company got bought out by Megacorp and moved from 1 block away to a 45 min drive. Am I glad I'm not doing that!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #229
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
14 Months, 65 Stops, 22 States, 1 Province, No Complaints.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #230

10 months have passed. How did it go so fast? I love reading the updates above esp those with improvements in health and low stress. Ditto for me too! DH who is still working also benefits from my ER as he gets lots of home cooked food and peace at home. Those are the important gains. Exercising everyday enables to keep my weight constant and tone up. Other than that, taken good vacations (been to Japan, New Zealand, China and Singapore). Will be going to Italy next month. Also, keeping brain alert by learning new things and monitoring my investments. One thing I note is that I've not made any new close friends - a few acquaintances but no new close friends. I still have the same old close friends which is fine.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #231

11 months for me. It's been an eventful year. The first 5 months were like I expected. A lot of settling in, travel, relaxation. Then my father-in-law took ill and we had to move him into a home in December. He looked to be OK, but then went downhill, had a stroke on Feb 28 and died on Mar 18. We're in the middle of probate now.

Life is getting back to normal. I still managed to finish the first draft of a book and start a second. Fished a lot last fall and will more this summer and fall. Been to South Carolina, Jamaica, Dunsmuir CA and Elko NV, among other places. Been to Bandon OR 8 times taking care of my FIL and his estate. Golfing Bandon Dunes is on my bucket list. We stay with a friend across the friggin' street from the place, but still haven't gotten a chance to play a round. Oh well, I'd probably rather do it under happier circumstances anyway.

Stress is down overall, FIL issues not withstanding. Rarely think about work, but have been asked to fill in some attorneys on an old project for a pending lawsuit. I'll make $1500 for a 6 or 8 hour day. Not too shabby and I'll use the funds for a trip to Disneyland and a new DSLR camera to jump-start my photography hobby.

Spending lots of time with my boys, going to their games, taking them fishing, etc. School is out next week and looking forward to a whole summer with them. DW and I were in the habit of getting out of the house once a week or so (she works PT from home) for movies, bowling, lunch, hikes, whatever, but those kind of slid to the back burner. This fall when the kids are back in school we'll get back into the habit.

Overall, its been great. Even though we've had to deal with my FIL's death, I'm happy I'm doing it retired. Probably never going to work for real again. I'm now a writer, and I love it. Life is good. Congrats to all my classmates and I hope your retired lives are nothing but smooth sailing!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Overall, its been great. Even though we've had to deal with my FIL's death, I'm happy I'm doing it retired. Probably never going to work for real again. I'm now a writer, and I love it. Life is good. Congrats to all my classmates and I hope your retired lives are nothing but smooth sailing!
Thanks for the update, it's great to hear these positive ER updates.

In the last few months before we RE'ed and the following 18 months, all 3 of our surviving parents plus 4 of their siblings died. Very sad, but we were pleased to have the time available to be with the family during this stressful period. Being a whole continent away, we wouldn't have been able to do much if we'd still been working.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #233

Very sorry to hear of the deaths of close ones. My father's health is deteriorating too. He finished 3 sessions of cancer treatment and seems fine but then other problems relating to liver sets in. Since we live in different countries, retiring gives more time for travelling to see him.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Very sorry to hear of the deaths of close ones. My father's health is deteriorating too. He finished 3 sessions of cancer treatment and seems fine but then other problems relating to liver sets in. Since we live in different countries, retiring gives more time for travelling to see him.
While loved ones becoming ill and/or dying is tough, not being retired would make it that much tougher. I don't know how we could have handled it.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Ten months into retirement and I am loving it. I would say that my quality of life has improved markedly even if I haven't done a lot of exciting things yet. I stopped losing my hair and I think it actually is growing back!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I stopped losing my hair and I think it actually is growing back!
Isn't that remarkable. - congratulations.

3 years ago I was back in Louisiana and met up with my old boss and friend who had retired a year earlier. His hair was back to being mostly black, he'd lost a lot of the grey. I asked him about it and he assured me it was natural.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Isn't that remarkable. - congratulations.

3 years ago I was back in Louisiana and met up with my old boss and friend who had retired a year earlier. His hair was back to being mostly black, he'd lost a lot of the grey. I asked him about it and he assured me it was natural.
Oh, then maybe there's hope for me. My grey hair is still growing in its usual pre retirement rapid rate. For my case, I think it is not stress that gives me grey hair. I heard that too many surgeries and anesthetic contributes to faster grey hair growth which if it is true would explain why I still have so much grey hair.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Oh, then maybe there's hope for me. My grey hair is still growing in its usual pre retirement rapid rate. For my case, I think it is not stress that gives me grey hair. I heard that too many surgeries and anesthetic contributes to faster grey hair growth which if it is true would explain why I still have so much grey hair.
In my case, I wish had hair - grey or otherwise. No re-growth in evidence after 16 months of retirement.