Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melion View Post
I submitted my letter and now awaiting my Big Day in June
Congratulations!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can add Dreamer's DH. His company was offering a Voluntary Separation Program and he put in and they accepted him. They said that most people would no longer be an employee effective 5/31/10. His last day as an employee is 11/30/10, but his Advance Notice period starts 10/1/10 and he should not have to work beginning 10/1/10. He will receive his regular pay for 18 months beginning 12/01/10. This was an answer to our prayers. He was so stressed out from his job and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety over a year ago. He was on 4 different medications. He was ecstatic and his mood has already improved greatly. He has recently lost 23 lbs and we are walking again. He talked to his doctor about getting weaned off the medication and will finish with one of the medications this weekend. The night before this company offer came, he came home from work and his hands were shaking and he was dragging. We sat down and I told him that he could not go on with this job and we needed to talk to his doctor about filing for disability. As I said, this was literally an answer to our prayers. I can not believe how he has changed in such a short amount of time.
Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
Hey, do you have Mafia connections......ya rubbed me out! I know I live downunder, but I haven't fallen off the bottom of world just yet.

Cheers - Mick
Sorry! pure typo mistake. No harm intended....
melion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
You can add Dreamer's DH. His company was offering a Voluntary Separation Program and he put in and they accepted him. They said that most people would no longer be an employee effective 5/31/10. His last day as an employee is 11/30/10, but his Advance Notice period starts 10/1/10 and he should not have to work beginning 10/1/10. He will receive his regular pay for 18 months beginning 12/01/10. This was an answer to our prayers. He was so stressed out from his job and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety over a year ago.
What a great story. Sometimes when things can't get any worse they get better! Congrats to both of you.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The humor on this forum has really reached the bottom this time.
I haven't posted until now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You need a menu to suit your former employment, something like:
Spotted Dick for afters.
Make mine an extra large please...to go....
Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #66

Thanks, Chemist.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #67

Submitted my resignation for June 24, 2010. Going thru all the paperwork to get it done. Lots of details but nothing too hard so far. Hopefully by the end of this week it'll be done and I can enjoy my last official spring break.

Our school district is in such dire straights that they want to give us a large chunk of $$ to retire early. Was going out this year anyway so it's manna from heaven essentially! Gotta love that financial crisis.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Submitted my resignation for June 24, 2010. Going thru all the paperwork to get it done. Lots of details but nothing too hard so far. Hopefully by the end of this week it'll be done and I can enjoy my last official spring break.

Our school district is in such dire straights that they want to give us a large chunk of $$ to retire early. Was going out this year anyway so it's manna from heaven essentially! Gotta love that financial crisis.
Congratulations - I added you to the 2010 list

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
June 24? That's right around the corner. Congratulations!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #70

Thanks, my wife and I are retiring at the same time so we are pretty excited. Looking forward to being able to surf when there are waves and not just when I have the day off.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

This isn't going to be a commencement, it's a veritable STAMPEDE!!!!!

The Bird
Class of 2007
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

Outa there July 2nd

Sign me up for sum a thet thar retarment stuff. I'm giving notice in a week or so. Expecting some big time anxiety attacks between now and then..followed by a persistent grin. Reminds me of a joke that ended with "... don't know what he was doing but it took the undertaker an hour to get the grin off his face" :-)

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
willywonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This isn't going to be a commencement, it's a veritable STAMPEDE!!!!!
Maybe it's the post-recession rebound effect?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Wow ronin, good news.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

How are we ever going to fund SS for folks my age when all you guys early retire on us??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
How are we ever going to fund SS for folks my age when all you guys early retire on us??
We need you to keep making > $250k per year so we can share that with you. Plan carefully, FD, we need you .

Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
You can add Dreamer's DH. His company was offering a Voluntary Separation Program and he put in and they accepted him. They said that most people would no longer be an employee effective 5/31/10. His last day as an employee is 11/30/10, but his Advance Notice period starts 10/1/10 and he should not have to work beginning 10/1/10. He will receive his regular pay for 18 months beginning 12/01/10. This was an answer to our prayers. He was so stressed out from his job and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety over a year ago. .... I can not believe how he has changed in such a short amount of time.
Great! My situation wasn't that severe, and I didn't get any early-out bonus. BUT, as soon as I gave my boss a date (which was 6 months out) my mental health improved. Work actually became more enjoyable. Maybe your husband will have a similar experience.

I ended up working 12 months instead of 6 just because they had a couple projects I thought were interesting. I left when they were done and the next project looked like it would be work. I wish I could have done that for the prior 31 years.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonka View Post
Sign me up for sum a thet thar retarment stuff. I'm giving notice in a week or so. Expecting some big time anxiety attacks between now and then..followed by a persistent grin. Reminds me of a joke that ended with "... don't know what he was doing but it took the undertaker an hour to get the grin off his face" :-)
Congratulations

The end of a similar joke I like goes something like "... don't know what he was doing but it took the undertaker an hour to get the coffin lid closed"
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
We need you to keep making > $250k per year so we can share that with you. Plan carefully, FD, we need you .
I am thinking up all sorts of ways to get below that threshold, trust me.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #80

[QUOTE=Independent;923117]Great! My situation wasn't that severe, and I didn't get any early-out bonus. BUT, as soon as I gave my boss a date (which was 6 months out) my mental health improved. Work actually became more enjoyable. Maybe your husband will have a similar experience.

DH's mental health is already improving. He is already off one of his meds and is going to talk to his doc about weaning off of another one. Most days he says that work is going pretty well. I am so happy for him. He was eliminated from the list, so I am putting him back on.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion