Join Early Retirement Today

Now I've gone and done it.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #81
Dryer sheet wannabe

Now I've gone and done it.

This morning I let the boss know about my plans to exit July 1st. He took it well, considering that it is bad timing for the business. But I feel GREAT!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonka View Post
This morning I let the boss know about my plans to exit July 1st. He took it well, considering that it is bad timing for the business. But I feel GREAT!!!
... and the feelings will only get better. I was like a young kid again waiting for Christmas day to arrive, and 10 weeks on I'm still on a 'high'

Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

At age 55, I gave 10 weeks' notice some three weeks ago. This was so my employer could advertise for a replacement, allow some time for that replacement to give his/her notice, and spend two weeks or so getting some training from me before I move on. Funny thing is, my employer offered me another job with similar pay--but I already decided I wanted to have a "soft retirement" as the Bogleheads call it. Meaning, I do want to take A LOT of time off, indefinitely. Maybe down the road I'll take on some contract work, volunteer, get a Christmas seasonal job doing something completely out of character, or go back to work full-time for a few months or up to a year--whatever suits my fancy at the time.

I am just not interested anymore in going to work each and every day. I have spent the past 38 years getting up every day to go to college, study in the evening, get up and go to law school every morning, study in the evening, then get and go to work every day since--with only a six-week break some 20 years ago. Enough already! It is time that I reward myself for a job-well-done--studying and working hard, and gradually building a respected reputation in my field of work (from what folks tell me).

I want to just take it easy for awhile. Read a bunch of books I have accumulated over the years. Practice guitar and the piano. Write some stuff I have been itchin' to write. Do some research on other hobbies I have. And get back into some semblance of shape--by going swimming at a local outdoor pool my city offers, running, and working out, and losing these 40 pounds I have gained being miserable at my desk over these past few years.
My last day at work is May 28--seven weeks away! It sorta feels like I'm ending a prison sentence. I am literally counting the days; 46 remaining! Short-timers syndrome.

So far, the people I have told about my impending retirement have been nothing but supportive--some even envious. One guy who I informed that I was going on Soft Retirement immediately commented to the effect: "That's means your financial plan worked. Well done!" others agreed with my comment that life is too short. I thought that at least one person would ask why I am leaving such a high-paying job during the Great Recession. (It also helps that I rode out the stock-market roller-coaster over the past couple of years, losing on paper some 30%, but staying the course to now have a sufficient nest-egg to sit back for awhile.)

So, in anticipation of my Soft Retirement, and while my insurance lasts, I have been visiting my dentist to have some work that I put off completed. (I think I'll go the $55/month COBRA route for a few months after I leave, then pay-as-I-go later on for dental expenses.) I also visited an optometrist to get an up-to-date prescription. And I have applied for high-deductible individual health insurance, and am awaiting the verdict there. (My employer-related COBRA would be about $500/month vs. a hoped-for $250/month premium for individual insurance.) And a week ago I adjusted my car insurance, got renter's insurance, and an umbrella insurance policy for $1.5 million liability. I'm getting my ducks in a row.

What else should I consider doing as I approach D-Day?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

3 days to my departure, at age 61. I asked a few weeks ago if this could be considered ER and was told yes so that's what I'm considering it.:=) I and my wife had been planning for years but the impending end of a lump sum severance is what did the trick. I just couldn't pass that up. Now back to full time art, what I would have preferred to be doing all along.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabasalt View Post
3 days to my departure, at age 61. I asked a few weeks ago if this could be considered ER and was told yes so that's what I'm considering it.:=)
Absolutely! I retired at 61 too, and I regard that as early retirement. I retired earlier than 65, so that's early to me. Congratulations on your early retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabasalt
I and my wife had been planning for years but the impending end of a lump sum severance is what did the trick. I just couldn't pass that up. Now back to full time art, what I would have preferred to be doing all along.
Retirement is wonderful. Finally, we can do what we want to do with our time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Absolutely! I retired at 61 too, and I regard that as early retirement. I retired earlier than 65, so that's early to me. Congratulations on your early retirement!
Thanks W2R. it will be interesting to see what happens next Monday morning!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #87

Congratulations guys, I've added you to the 2010 ER roll of honor.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
So, in anticipation of my Soft Retirement, and while my insurance lasts, I have been visiting my dentist to have some work that I put off completed. (I think I'll go the $55/month COBRA route for a few months after I leave, then pay-as-I-go later on for dental expenses.) I also visited an optometrist to get an up-to-date prescription. And I have applied for high-deductible individual health insurance, and am awaiting the verdict there. (My employer-related COBRA would be about $500/month vs. a hoped-for $250/month premium for individual insurance.) And a week ago I adjusted my car insurance, got renter's insurance, and an umbrella insurance policy for $1.5 million liability. I'm getting my ducks in a row.

What else should I consider doing as I approach D-Day?
If you have an FSA you are allowed to spend the entire year's commitment, not just what you have contributed year to date. For me this included getting a crown done, new glasses, prescriptions filled, OTC pills, visit to Doc for check up etc. I needed to get it done in plenty of time as I had 60 days after ER date to get the claims in as EOB's can take weeks to come through.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Congratulations guys, I've added you to the 2010 ER roll of honor.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
+ Ken11 on March 31 after 33 years.
So far so good.

Its good to see such a crowd.
At least if I've screwed up I wasn't the only one.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
+ Ken11 on March 31 after 33 years.
So far so good.

Its good to see such a crowd.
At least if I've screwed up I wasn't the only one.
Congratulations, how's it feel

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Its still not "real" just yet.
However, I've likened it to jumping out of an airplane (something I used to do).
The anticipation/decision making was stressful at times.
However, once I departed its been quiet, peaceful and simply amazing.
I feel like Im floating in space.
Now I just hope the chute opens.

The gift of time is wonderful.

We are selling a house and looking to move.
So, we will be very engaged/busy with that for some time.

And you?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #92

Quote:
Its still not "real" just yet.
However, I've likened it to jumping out of an airplane (something I used to do).
The anticipation/decision making was stressful at times.
However, once I departed its been quiet, peaceful and simply amazing.
I feel like Im floating in space.
Now I just hope the chute opens.

The gift of time is wonderful.

We are selling a house and looking to move.
So, we will be very engaged/busy with that for some time.

And you?
That is a great analogy.

We moved the day after I retired (end of January) and since we moved back to a place we had lived in for a few years the settling in period was minimal. Still feel a bit giddy at times with all the freedom we have.

Next week we start with the first of many long trips we have planned over the coming years. Drive to Colorado (~1,000m miles), stay at a house we are renting for a month and relax and sight-see etc.

In July we are off to the UK for 6 weeks, then in September drive to Canada for a 3 location stay over a 3-4 week period.

Got my first pension checks this last couple of weeks so it is feeling "real" now ("Golly Gosh, we finally made it !!! )
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That is a great analogy.

We moved the day after I retired (end of January) and since we moved back to a place we had lived in for a few years the settling in period was minimal. Still feel a bit giddy at times with all the freedom we have.

Next week we start with the first of many long trips we have planned over the coming years. Drive to Colorado (~1,000m miles), stay at a house we are renting for a month and relax and sight-see etc.

In July we are off to the UK for 6 weeks, then in September drive to Canada for a 3 location stay over a 3-4 week period.

Got my first pension checks this last couple of weeks so it is feeling "real" now ("Golly Gosh, we finally made it !!! )
Sounds great. Enjoy the travel.

As soon as my place sells we will store all our STUFF and act like gypsies for some period of time. I'm looking forward to that.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #94

Quote:
Sounds great. Enjoy the travel.

As soon as my place sells we will store all our STUFF and act like gypsies for some period of time. I'm looking forward to that.
Exactly - main reason we wanted to retire early is to be gypsies while we still have our health.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill

Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
I guess this means my resignation was rejected.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Hopefully it just means you're not roadkill!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Sorry about that - I added you at post 68 but WW dropped you at post 72 when he added himself. That's what comes of updates by the masses Thanks for spotting it.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

it is with GREAT DELIGHT that I can add myself to this list, as of TODAY hee hee hee ho ho ho....and I didn't even know it was going to go down like that when I woke up! I have been "mentally" ER'ing for about 2 years, and yesterday the CEO announced a lovely voluntary severance package to the entire corp. Today I had such antsy pants, staring at the "accept" button on my screen. I literally "pushed a button" and poof I am ER'd, and I have 6 weeks to get my ducks in a row. Freaky feeling to say the least. I keep hearing Roger Daltry, '"I'm freeeeee..." hahaha. Who needs a plan, anyhoo? Just do it. (Actually, my financial status today is no better nor worse than I truly pictured it, so it is what it is). A free year of salary was just too good to pass up. And to be honest, I wouldn't want to hang around the corp after this blood letting; MAN, it was a zoo, over 2000 people pushed their button within 48 hours, LOL! Payback's a bitch, they are gonna HURT real BAD in about 3 months when the brain drain they initiated cuts off their oxygen.

Flattering moment - my boss mentioned "would you consider consulting if we need you, pretty pleeeze" within 10 minutes of my announcement. And I would, for the right price.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
queeneev
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka
Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #99

Congratulations, what a great way to ER
Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #100
Dryer sheet wannabe

[QUOTE=Alan;926429]Sorry about that - I added you at post 68 but WW dropped you at post 72 when he added himself. That's what comes of updates by the masses Thanks for spotting it.

To ronin, I apologize. And I promise not to post anymore after two glasses of wine.

-WW