sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

Nobody new in almost a month?

Me, me, me! Last week, I was told that my work contract won't be renewed at the end of the month and, after running a bunch of simulations over the weekend, it looks like I won't have to look very hard for another job after all. Since DW will still be working full time for a couple more years, I won't call myself "retired" but rather "unemployed" for now.

Today is DH's last day - so tomorrow is the official first day of ER. Since I got my last unemployment check last week (unless they pass the extension next week), I guess that it's really official.

We went and bought the new truck over the weekend (he's had a company car for 30 years!) and we bought his new laptop last week. I told him he's taken half of our first year's budget already - he has to stop!

The house goes on the market next week - then we wait and see what happens. In this market, who knows!

2010 has produced a "bumper crop of new ER's! Congratulations to all. I added FIREdreamer and nanannjen's DH to the list:

Alan (55)
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums (55)
Chalupadrop (58)
Chemist
Chinaco
crayman (48)
Dreamer's DH
extm
FIREdreamer
flyfishnevada
Getoutearly
gomac
Gone4Good
JacqJolie
Jeeper
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen (54)
Max Power (62)
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt(61)
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
nanannjen's DH
Onward (46)
powerplay (55)
queeneev (48)
ratface (51)
Rich_in_Tampa (61)
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

Congratulations guys and gals, 2010 is turning out to be a good year for ER. :clap:

I'm delighted to announce that I am also now officially retired, as of July 1.

I spent 3 days cooking for our 22nd annual 4th O' July BBQ, so it didn't feel like I was retired until I slept late on the 6th, then went on a nice 25 mi. bike ride on the Burke-Gilman trail.

Are there any stats on prior year FIRE'ers here? I love being part of the "big wave", hee hee!

Not that I know of, queenev. This year had so many retirees, didn't it! :D It is indeed the "big wave", as you described it.

Here's an updated list, including Rascal:

Alan (55)
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums (55)
Chalupadrop (58)
Chemist
Chinaco
crayman (48)
Dreamer's DH
extm
FIREdreamer
flyfishnevada
Getoutearly
gomac
Gone4Good
JacqJolie
Jeeper
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen (54)
Max Power (62)
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt(61)
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
nanannjen's DH
Onward (46)
powerplay (55)
queeneev (48)
Rascal
ratface (51)
Rich_in_Tampa (61)
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

I joined the ER ranks May 28, 2010. I'm 59. This is my first full summer off in 43 years and it's great!

Congratulations, hogtied! Even in this heat, I too love having my first summer off as a retiree this year.

Newly revised list, adding hogtied:

Alan (55)
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums (55)
Chalupadrop (58)
Chemist
Chinaco
crayman (48)
Dreamer's DH
extm
FIREdreamer
flyfishnevada
Getoutearly
gomac
Gone4Good
hogtied
JacqJolie
Jeeper
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen (54)
Max Power (62)
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt(61)
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
nanannjen's DH
Onward (46)
powerplay (55)
queeneev (48)
Rascal
ratface (51)
Rich_in_Tampa (61)
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

congratulations hogtied and rascal :)

The last summer I had off was 38 years ago and I am really enjoying this one.

I'm adding myself, I've been FI for a while and on the fence. Minicorp added the RE, thanks to an elimination of everyone doing my particular job, a few weeks ago. So I get the benefits of ER along with a severance package.

Here's the new Roster:

Alan (55)
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums (55)
Chalupadrop (58)
Chemist
Chinaco
crayman (48)
Dreamer's DH
extm
FIREdreamer
flyfishnevada
Getoutearly
gomac
Gone4Good
hogtied
JacqJolie
Jeeper
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen (54)
Max Power (62)
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt(61)
Mmm Rrr (58)
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
nanannjen's DH
Onward (46)
powerplay (55)
queeneev (48)
Rascal
ratface (51)
Rich_in_Tampa (61)
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

One more! :D

Alan (55)
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums (55)
Chalupadrop (58)
Chemist
Chinaco
crayman (48)
Dreamer's DH
extm
FIREdreamer
flyfishnevada
Getoutearly
gomac
Gone4Good
hogtied
JacqJolie
Jeeper
JJac (36)
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen (54)
Max Power (62)
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt(61)
Mmm Rrr (58)
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
nanannjen's DH
Onward (46)
powerplay (55)
queeneev (48)
Rascal
ratface (51)
Rich_in_Tampa (61)
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

At age 55, I gave 10 weeks' notice some three weeks ago. This was so my employer could advertise for a replacement, allow some time for that replacement to give his/her notice, and spend two weeks or so getting some training from me before I move on. Funny thing is, my employer offered me another job with similar pay--but I already decided I wanted to have a "soft retirement" as the Bogleheads call it. Meaning, I do want to take A LOT of time off, indefinitely. Maybe down the road I'll take on some contract work, volunteer, get a Christmas seasonal job doing something completely out of character, or go back to work full-time for a few months or up to a year--whatever suits my fancy at the time.

I am just not interested anymore in going to work each and every day. I have spent the past 38 years getting up every day to go to college, study in the evening, get up and go to law school every morning, study in the evening, then get and go to work every day since--with only a six-week break some 20 years ago. Enough already! It is time that I reward myself for a job-well-done--studying and working hard, and gradually building a respected reputation in my field of work (from what folks tell me).

I want to just take it easy for awhile. Read a bunch of books I have accumulated over the years. ...

Thanks for this - I have been putting off ER because I am only 52 and thought I needed to have something else lined up before I left my long-term Megacorp employer. What I realized a few weeks ago is that I really would enjoy a few months NOT getting up every day to "go do". So we are working out the final financial details to see if ER on 10/1 is a go. It is hard for me to "reward myself" this way so I really appreciate tha post!!! Thanks!!!

Yeah, MBAustin. Although I would have continued on in the rut of my "chosen field" for another few years, and racked up quite a few more dollars toward my ideal "retirement number," this past year of work was just too miserable to bear. That misery was the push off the cliff I needed to decide to early retire. And to take a fresh look around me without having to worry about w**k-related crap.

I decided that I did not want to look back some ten years or more in the future and regret that I did not take this time, THIS TIME--while I still have good health, some more relatively youthful years, brains and dollars--to do what I am NOW doing. Enjoying life!

Final day today.....yay! :D

After 41 years on the hamster-wheel.....all projects finished, all farewells said, all ID's & 'corporate accoutrements' handed in, all loose-ends tied up, all pigs fully fuelled and lined up on the air-strip ready to fly ;)

Man, I'm already seriously considering what I'll do all day (after a nap)! :cool:

And as they say in the the classics.......whoooooo.....hoooooo!

(Refer post #43 for brief background, age added to class list below)

Alan (55)
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums (55)
Chalupadrop (58)
Chemist
Chinaco
crayman (48)
Dreamer's DH
extm
FIREdreamer
flyfishnevada
Getoutearly
gomac
Gone4Good
hogtied
JacqJolie
Jeeper
JJac (36)
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen (54)
Max Power (62)
mbooth (56)
Melion
metabasalt(61)
Mmm Rrr (58)
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
nanannjen's DH
Onward (46)
powerplay (55)
queeneev (48)
Rascal
ratface (51)
Rich_in_Tampa (61)
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc (55)
tesaje
thinker25 (62)
want2xplore
willywonka
Xman

Cheers - Mick

welcome to this year's ER class :dance:

I was uncertain at the start of the year, but unless something changes in the next month it looks like I'm going to hang in til 2011. I've been told I'm going to have to go back to full-time, but not given a time frame yet. It would be nice to bank a bit more money, make some 2011 income to put into a 401K and Roth, and defer cashing out the last of my stock options til next year.

Hmm, might have spoken too soon, just had a chat with my manager today and he's getting pressure to make it happen now. He's going to try to get me a package. If he can't, I guess I will let them pay me full time and they can decide whether I'm working hard enough to keep me employed.

I was uncertain at the start of the year, but unless something changes in the next month it looks like I'm going to hang in til 2011. I've been told I'm going to have to go back to full-time, but not given a time frame yet. It would be nice to bank a bit more money, make some 2011 income to put into a 401K and Roth, and defer cashing out the last of my stock options til next year.

Hmm, might have spoken too soon, just had a chat with my manager today and he's getting pressure to make it happen now. He's going to try to get me a package. If he can't, I guess I will let them pay me full time and they can decide whether I'm working hard enough to keep me employed.

The uncertainty would drive me to distraction. But it sounds like it is going to happen within the next 6 - 12 months. All the best to you. If your job has any safety aspect to it, try and keep focused :greetings10:

Impressive class. Almost makes me wish I had waited till 2010.:LOL:

Seriously the forum may get even better now that all these great posters have more time to post!

Fisherman
Class of 2007

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom