Will the class of 2010 please rise...

Did you plan a long time?
Rich, I think you hold the planning record!

Looking forward to hearing about your travel plans to the Mainland in all kinds of weather. ;)
Only the warm kinds-- except for Houston in June, July, and August. Frankly I'm not too sure about May either.

I've offered to help our kid carry her seabag but she's firmly waved off all assistance. Works for me. There might be a short San Diego trip this fall, and perhaps a side visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (it's been over 20 years). Otherwise we have no big plans.

July 4th, 2010 here. ESR. I don't know about everyone else, but around here there is an attitude of get out while the gettin's good. I work for the State and we are already on furloughs and the state is projecting a 3.4 billion deficit for the next biennium. Retirees are usually not touched since the pension fund is protected from being raided, so people who can go are going.

We'll put out the flags for you on your ESR date :)

Here is the updated list so far:

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
MsDonheff
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
tesaje
want2xplore

Hey, you dropped a couple of us off the list! How's this one:

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
MsDonheff
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
sn2792
tesaje
want2xplore

I had a vague plan for around the time our daughter graduates from College, which will be this May. I initially was going to stick around for 1 - 2 years after she graduated to just have extra money coming in that wasn't targeted for school, but just couldn't take the job anymore. I started reading a lot of financial books, looking at this site and bogleheads site, running the numbers thru retirement calculators. Everything always came out successful, but I still ended up meeting with a fee only financial planner in January to see if I could afford it and get help with do we take annuity, lump sum etc

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
sn2792
tesaje
want2xplore

Donheff helped me remember someone. :blush: I've added MsTeeRuh who will finally give it up in June. She'll join me on my then two year old journey!! :flowers:

t.r.

It has been quite a while since my last post, however, I can now add my name to this list.......

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
sn2792
tesaje
want2xplore
roadkill

After 3 years in FIRE university (on this forum), I finally graduated earlier this year! Add me to the list!

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
tesaje
want2xplore

Crap - I hate to get left out. But I retired/ER'd jan 93 more or less - mentally unemployed til my brain shifted.

However - my buddies at SS say for my birth year, I could take 'regular' retirement this year at age 66.

So ? does that make me a redundant retired from early retirement and regular retired?

heh heh heh - or just an old phart who can't resist a good thread? :D :flowers:.

Not sure which side of the fence I should be on ?
My last day to actually work was 12/17/09 but the official date according to mega corp records was 1/01/2010. This was due to riding vacation time until the end of year.

So I'll add my name and let you all be the judge: Stevewc

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore

Planning on May 31st, but I haven't told anyone except DW yet, so I should probably wait until it's "official."

And odds are I'll goof off and indulge myself for a few months, and then go back to work at something I enjoy more - without regard for what it pays.

Don't forget Gone4Good who was Yrs to go. . .

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore

Crap - I hate to get left out. But I retired/ER'd jan 93 more or less - mentally unemployed til my brain shifted.

However - my buddies at SS say for my birth year, I could take 'regular' retirement this year at age 66.

So ? does that make me a redundant retired from early retirement and regular retired?

heh heh heh - or just an old phart who can't resist a good thread? :D :flowers:.

You'd be an honored guest in any class, but I think you missed this one by about 17 years :flowers:

Not sure which side of the fence I should be on ?
My last day to actually work was 12/17/09 but the official date according to mega corp records was 1/01/2010. This was due to riding vacation time until the end of year.

So I'll add my name and let you all be the judge: Stevewc

I think we should go with your official date - vacation doesn't count ;)

Welcome on board - did Dr Rich tell you he's giving free medical screenings for the members of the class of 2010?

You just have to track him down in his mobile RV clinic :whistle:

This calls for an inappropriate, anatomically oriented reply. But I shall refrain.

Very restrained indeed - it must be because you are so relaxed at present :LOL:

Enjoy your last day at work tomorrow :greetings10:

Answer:B
Congrats Umclemick on your regular retirement!
Congrats class 2010 on your freedom!
I can't resist a good thread, either.

Free to canoe

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore

I turn 56 in April and I've been ESR'd (w*rking 2 days a week) since 1 Jan with an 'official' RE date 31 Dec. But I'm only doing that as a 'favour' to my boss until my replacement has got his feet under the desk and his bum warm ;-)

As soon as I think he can fly solo, I'll be "off like a bride's nightie!" (Australian colloquialism for 'leave in haste')

41 years in the work-force and the novelty has definitely worn off ;-)

Cheers - Mick

Congrats, Mick. Enjoy your freedom.

I'm on my own search committee and that feels odd, almost as if you died and are gazing down on your own funeral. Well, maybe not that dramatic, but it has that quality. I (as a nonstakeholder in the selection process) have decided to refrain from voting an any particular candidate and will leave that to the rest (who have a lot at stake in the decision).

:LOL:

Couldn't think of a better way to celebrate ESR.

Not. ;)

But I will take suggestions for interesting quiet, out of the way restaurants where you can hear yourself think. Any cuisine is good...

But I will take suggestions for interesting quiet, out of the way restaurants where you can hear yourself think. Any cuisine is good...

You need a menu to suit your former employment, something like:

Bowel of soup to start

Pickled kidneys for the main course

Spotted Dick for afters.

Back
Top Bottom