Will the class of 2010 please rise...

You can add Dreamer's DH. His company was offering a Voluntary Separation Program and he put in and they accepted him. They said that most people would no longer be an employee effective 5/31/10. His last day as an employee is 11/30/10, but his Advance Notice period starts 10/1/10 and he should not have to work beginning 10/1/10. He will receive his regular pay for 18 months beginning 12/01/10. This was an answer to our prayers. He was so stressed out from his job and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety over a year ago. .... I can not believe how he has changed in such a short amount of time.

Great! My situation wasn't that severe, and I didn't get any early-out bonus. BUT, as soon as I gave my boss a date (which was 6 months out) my mental health improved. Work actually became more enjoyable. Maybe your husband will have a similar experience.

I ended up working 12 months instead of 6 just because they had a couple projects I thought were interesting. I left when they were done and the next project looked like it would be work. I wish I could have done that for the prior 31 years.

Sign me up for sum a thet thar retarment stuff. I'm giving notice in a week or so. Expecting some big time anxiety attacks between now and then..followed by a persistent grin. Reminds me of a joke that ended with "... don't know what he was doing but it took the undertaker an hour to get the grin off his face" :)

Congratulations :dance::clap:

The end of a similar joke I like goes something like "... don't know what he was doing but it took the undertaker an hour to get the coffin lid closed"

We need you to keep making > $250k per year so we can share that with you. Plan carefully, FD, we need you ;).

I am thinking up all sorts of ways to get below that threshold, trust me.............;)

Great! My situation wasn't that severe, and I didn't get any early-out bonus. BUT, as soon as I gave my boss a date (which was 6 months out) my mental health improved. Work actually became more enjoyable. Maybe your husband will have a similar experience.

DH's mental health is already improving. He is already off one of his meds and is going to talk to his doc about weaning off of another one. Most days he says that work is going pretty well. I am so happy for him. He was eliminated from the list, so I am putting him back on.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

Last edited:
Now I've gone and done it.

This morning I let the boss know about my plans to exit July 1st. He took it well, considering that it is bad timing for the business. But I feel GREAT!!!:clap:

This morning I let the boss know about my plans to exit July 1st. He took it well, considering that it is bad timing for the business. But I feel GREAT!!!:clap:

... and the feelings will only get better. I was like a young kid again waiting for Christmas day to arrive, and 10 weeks on I'm still on a 'high' :cool:

At age 55, I gave 10 weeks' notice some three weeks ago. This was so my employer could advertise for a replacement, allow some time for that replacement to give his/her notice, and spend two weeks or so getting some training from me before I move on. Funny thing is, my employer offered me another job with similar pay--but I already decided I wanted to have a "soft retirement" as the Bogleheads call it. Meaning, I do want to take A LOT of time off, indefinitely. Maybe down the road I'll take on some contract work, volunteer, get a Christmas seasonal job doing something completely out of character, or go back to work full-time for a few months or up to a year--whatever suits my fancy at the time.

I am just not interested anymore in going to work each and every day. I have spent the past 38 years getting up every day to go to college, study in the evening, get up and go to law school every morning, study in the evening, then get and go to work every day since--with only a six-week break some 20 years ago. Enough already! It is time that I reward myself for a job-well-done--studying and working hard, and gradually building a respected reputation in my field of work (from what folks tell me).

I want to just take it easy for awhile. Read a bunch of books I have accumulated over the years. Practice guitar and the piano. Write some stuff I have been itchin' to write. Do some research on other hobbies I have. And get back into some semblance of shape--by going swimming at a local outdoor pool my city offers, running, and working out, and losing these 40 pounds I have gained being miserable at my desk over these past few years.
My last day at work is May 28--seven weeks away! It sorta feels like I'm ending a prison sentence. I am literally counting the days; 46 remaining! Short-timers syndrome.

So far, the people I have told about my impending retirement have been nothing but supportive--some even envious. One guy who I informed that I was going on Soft Retirement immediately commented to the effect: "That's means your financial plan worked. Well done!" others agreed with my comment that life is too short. I thought that at least one person would ask why I am leaving such a high-paying job during the Great Recession. (It also helps that I rode out the stock-market roller-coaster over the past couple of years, losing on paper some 30%, but staying the course to now have a sufficient nest-egg to sit back for awhile.)

So, in anticipation of my Soft Retirement, and while my insurance lasts, I have been visiting my dentist to have some work that I put off completed. (I think I'll go the $55/month COBRA route for a few months after I leave, then pay-as-I-go later on for dental expenses.) I also visited an optometrist to get an up-to-date prescription. And I have applied for high-deductible individual health insurance, and am awaiting the verdict there. (My employer-related COBRA would be about $500/month vs. a hoped-for $250/month premium for individual insurance.) And a week ago I adjusted my car insurance, got renter's insurance, and an umbrella insurance policy for $1.5 million liability. I'm getting my ducks in a row.

What else should I consider doing as I approach D-Day?

3 days to my departure, at age 61. I asked a few weeks ago if this could be considered ER and was told yes so that's what I'm considering it.:=) I and my wife had been planning for years but the impending end of a lump sum severance is what did the trick. I just couldn't pass that up. Now back to full time art, what I would have preferred to be doing all along.

3 days to my departure, at age 61. I asked a few weeks ago if this could be considered ER and was told yes so that's what I'm considering it.:=)

Absolutely! I retired at 61 too, and I regard that as early retirement. I retired earlier than 65, so that's early to me. Congratulations on your early retirement!

metabasalt said:
I and my wife had been planning for years but the impending end of a lump sum severance is what did the trick. I just couldn't pass that up. Now back to full time art, what I would have preferred to be doing all along.

Retirement is wonderful. Finally, we can do what we want to do with our time. :D

Absolutely! I retired at 61 too, and I regard that as early retirement. I retired earlier than 65, so that's early to me. Congratulations on your early retirement!

Thanks W2R. it will be interesting to see what happens next Monday morning!

Congratulations guys, I've added you to the 2010 ER roll of honor.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

So, in anticipation of my Soft Retirement, and while my insurance lasts, I have been visiting my dentist to have some work that I put off completed. (I think I'll go the $55/month COBRA route for a few months after I leave, then pay-as-I-go later on for dental expenses.) I also visited an optometrist to get an up-to-date prescription. And I have applied for high-deductible individual health insurance, and am awaiting the verdict there. (My employer-related COBRA would be about $500/month vs. a hoped-for $250/month premium for individual insurance.) And a week ago I adjusted my car insurance, got renter's insurance, and an umbrella insurance policy for $1.5 million liability. I'm getting my ducks in a row.

What else should I consider doing as I approach D-Day?

If you have an FSA you are allowed to spend the entire year's commitment, not just what you have contributed year to date. For me this included getting a crown done, new glasses, prescriptions filled, OTC pills, visit to Doc for check up etc. I needed to get it done in plenty of time as I had 60 days after ER date to get the claims in as EOB's can take weeks to come through.

Congratulations guys, I've added you to the 2010 ER roll of honor.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

+ Ken11 on March 31 after 33 years.
So far so good.

Its good to see such a crowd.
At least if I've screwed up I wasn't the only one.:)

+ Ken11 on March 31 after 33 years.
So far so good.

Its good to see such a crowd.
At least if I've screwed up I wasn't the only one.:)

Congratulations, how's it feel :D

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

Its still not "real" just yet.
However, I've likened it to jumping out of an airplane (something I used to do).
The anticipation/decision making was stressful at times.
However, once I departed its been quiet, peaceful and simply amazing.
I feel like Im floating in space.
Now I just hope the chute opens.:D

The gift of time is wonderful.

We are selling a house and looking to move.
So, we will be very engaged/busy with that for some time.

And you?

Its still not "real" just yet.
However, I've likened it to jumping out of an airplane (something I used to do).
The anticipation/decision making was stressful at times.
However, once I departed its been quiet, peaceful and simply amazing.
I feel like Im floating in space.
Now I just hope the chute opens.:D

The gift of time is wonderful.

We are selling a house and looking to move.
So, we will be very engaged/busy with that for some time.

And you?

That is a great analogy.

We moved the day after I retired (end of January) and since we moved back to a place we had lived in for a few years the settling in period was minimal. Still feel a bit giddy at times with all the freedom we have.

Next week we start with the first of many long trips we have planned over the coming years. Drive to Colorado (~1,000m miles), stay at a house we are renting for a month and relax and sight-see etc.

In July we are off to the UK for 6 weeks, then in September drive to Canada for a 3 location stay over a 3-4 week period.

Got my first pension checks this last couple of weeks so it is feeling "real" now ("Golly Gosh, we finally made it !!! )

That is a great analogy.

We moved the day after I retired (end of January) and since we moved back to a place we had lived in for a few years the settling in period was minimal. Still feel a bit giddy at times with all the freedom we have.

Next week we start with the first of many long trips we have planned over the coming years. Drive to Colorado (~1,000m miles), stay at a house we are renting for a month and relax and sight-see etc.

In July we are off to the UK for 6 weeks, then in September drive to Canada for a 3 location stay over a 3-4 week period.

Got my first pension checks this last couple of weeks so it is feeling "real" now ("Golly Gosh, we finally made it !!! )

Sounds great. Enjoy the travel.

As soon as my place sells we will store all our STUFF and act like gypsies for some period of time. I'm looking forward to that.

Sounds great. Enjoy the travel.

As soon as my place sells we will store all our STUFF and act like gypsies for some period of time. I'm looking forward to that.

Exactly - main reason we wanted to retire early is to be gypsies while we still have our health.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
:confused:
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

I guess this means my resignation was rejected.:(

I guess this means my resignation was rejected.:(

Sorry about that - I added you at post 68 but WW dropped you at post 72 when he added himself. That's what comes of updates by the masses :LOL: Thanks for spotting it.

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

it is with GREAT DELIGHT that I can add myself to this list, as of TODAY hee hee hee ho ho ho....and I didn't even know it was going to go down like that when I woke up! I have been "mentally" ER'ing for about 2 years, and yesterday the CEO announced a lovely voluntary severance package to the entire corp. Today I had such antsy pants, staring at the "accept" button on my screen. I literally "pushed a button" and poof I am ER'd, and I have 6 weeks to get my ducks in a row. Freaky feeling to say the least. I keep hearing Roger Daltry, '"I'm freeeeee..." hahaha. Who needs a plan, anyhoo? Just do it. (Actually, my financial status today is no better nor worse than I truly pictured it, so it is what it is). A free year of salary was just too good to pass up. And to be honest, I wouldn't want to hang around the corp after this blood letting; MAN, it was a zoo, over 2000 people pushed their button within 48 hours, LOL! Payback's a bitch, they are gonna HURT real BAD in about 3 months when the brain drain they initiated cuts off their oxygen.

Flattering moment - my boss mentioned "would you consider consulting if we need you, pretty pleeeze" within 10 minutes of my announcement. And I would, for the right price.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Alan
Bikerchick
Billin
Birdie Num Nums
Chemist
Chinaco
Dreamer's DH
flyfishnevada
Gone4Good
Katsmeow
Ken11
Nanannjen
mbooth
Melion
metabasalt
MsDonheff
MsTeeRuh
Onward
powerplay
queeneev
Rich_in_Tampa
roadkill
ronin
Skyline
sn2792
Stevewc
tesaje
want2xplore
willywonka

Congratulations, what a great way to ER :dance:

Sorry about that - I added you at post 68 but WW dropped you at post 72 when he added himself. That's what comes of updates by the masses :LOL: Thanks for spotting it.

To ronin, I apologize. And I promise not to post anymore after two glasses of wine.:(

-WW

Back
Top Bottom