Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been surprised to be impressed with every keyboard I've tried, including my Minisuit bluetooth keyboard. And for many years I was one of those IBM clicky-klacky snobs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Windows 8.1
Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hey, don't leave out us 'Linux devotees who categorically dislike Microsoft'.

-ERD50

+1

Windows is a dinosaur, IMO. Been running Linux for a decade. Fast, even on old computers, and free software for everything I want. Doesn't report your information to anyone. No viruses. No marketing software. It's loverly. Mostly, though, I use an iPad.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 17" laptop with a touchscreen and Windows 8.1. Costco has a 90-day no-questions-asked return policy on computer, so I plan to get it there.

I would have bought one of the HPs they had, but the touchpad buttons were just too hard to press. They had a Dell that fit the bill, but it went out of stock, so I'll just wait for one of those to come back in.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No. I use a USB keyboard. I don't like any laptop keyboards except for occasional use.

-ERD50
I've been using my new W8.1 HP laptop I got from Costco a few months ago for ~$400, which I love (despite trying to get accustomed to the new interface). But I've been thinking of getting a USB or wireless keyboard for home use, just for more ease.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
I've been using my new W8.1 HP laptop I got from Costco a few months ago for ~$400, which I love (despite trying to get accustomed to the new interface). But I've been thinking of getting a USB or wireless keyboard for home use, just for more ease.
Look at one of the ergo keyboards. Particularly if you touch type. Can't hurt to minimize the risk of carpal tunnel. Usb is a bit better because you don't have to have batteries in the keyboard, the usb cable powers it.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Look at one of the ergo keyboards. Particularly if you touch type. Can't hurt to minimize the risk of carpal tunnel. Usb is a bit better because you don't have to have batteries in the keyboard, the usb cable powers it.
Oops! Too late! Inspired by the recent posts here, I visited my Amazon Wish List to see what that wireless keyboard/mouse set I've been looking at these past couple of months was going for today (~$42). Then visited OfficeMax and a couple of other online stores and saw Staples had it on sale for $30. I just got back home after buying it at my local Staples store. So far, so good. (The batteries are supposed to last a couple of years, at least. We'll see. Anyway I've still got a ton of those AA batteries I bought at Costco 2 or 3 years ago that I haven't been able to use up as quickly as I thought I would: for remotes, smoke alarms, wireless headphones, guitar effects, etc.)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to buy this one in a few days.

http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-TouchS...100111580.html

I considered a big 23" screen all-in-one, but it just wouldn't fit on my rolltop desk.

The 17" will be a bit larger than my current laptop, and stick out even more, but I decided a bigger screen = easier on the eyes.

The HP's touchpad buttons are still annoyingly hard to press, but I'll be using mouse in most cases.