Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Winterphiles not phobes?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Winterphiles not phobes?

No - it's not cause my sister thinks the Pat's are a good football team! - relatives this year(San Diego, Palm Springs, Pensacola) are going to sis's for a ski vacation (greater Seattle) type Christmas holiday. I begged off - still going south(not picked yet) - somewhere warm. I wonder if I'm just a subconcious snowbird or it's an old age/retirement thing. Note that bulk of relatives are going the opposite way - from warm to cold. Plus they are younger - world traveled ex/active military except for two of them.

Are there actually any ER's out there who really really like cold - true winterphiles?

heh heh heh - old Bob down at the doughnut shop(retired railroad) loves to run his winter fur traps - which I count as a little strange but he seems alright!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Are there actually any ER's out there who really really like cold - true winterphiles?
We're going to have to get Martha in here...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We're going to have to get Martha in here...
Or not.

Ask me on a nice winter day, with snow gently falling, fire in the fireplace, and chili on the stove.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I begged off - still going south(not picked yet) - somewhere warm. I wonder if I'm just a subconcious snowbird or it's an old age/retirement thing. Note that bulk of relatives are going the opposite way - from warm to cold. Plus they are younger - world traveled ex/active military except for two of them.

Uncle,
you've been spoiled. You lived in New Orleans. They think it's freezing at 65 degrees. Speaking of winter, we've had 80+ springlike degrees here the past week. That ceases tomorrow, when a blue norther comes in; should stay about 5 days or so. I know Martha doesn't think much of it, but it will be a forty degree change. Brrrrr.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cold is such a relative term. Are we talking below 50 or we talking below zero. Here in minnesnowta we embrace the weather. We like to think that the cold weather helps to keep the rifraf away. We cross country ski, we play platform tennis outside all winter. If it wasn't cold in the winter, we wouldn't enjoy and appreciate the rest of the year.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
............ If it wasn't cold in the winter, we wouldn't enjoy and appreciate the rest of the year.
i.e. July.........
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yep, we like the cold. I don't think I'd like North Dakota, but southern Ohio is great. We've lived in FL, and it's just too hot for too long. Four seasons great by us.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Or not.

Ask me on a nice winter day, with snow gently falling, fire in the fireplace, and chili on the stove.
Ditto. Tomorrow the low is supposed to be 11 degrees. I plan on turning on the fireplace tomorrow morning for the first time. Nice.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #9

I don't love cold, snowy winters, but I sort of like them.....it's gives me a break from garden work. Besides, when the weather outside is frightful, I take a trip south to boost Florida's economy for 3 or 4 weeks.

I know I'll like the cold and snow better this winter than in the past years.....since I don't have to go out at 5:30am to clear a path, and brush snow and ice of the cars to go to w*rk!!! Instead, I'll go out about mid-morning.....MAYBE! Heck, I might just let it all melt away, so I don't have to shovel/snow-blow!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I don't love cold, snowy winters, but I sort of like them.....it's gives me a break from garden work. Besides, when the weather outside is frightful, I take a trip south to boost Florida's economy for 3 or 4 weeks.

I know I'll like the cold and snow better this winter than in the past years.....since I don't have to go out at 5:30am to clear a path, and brush snow and ice of the cars to go to w*rk!!! Instead, I'll go out about mid-morning.....MAYBE! Heck, I might just let it all melt away, so I don't have to shovel/snow-blow!
That was my reaction.

Once you don't have to leave the house for that commute, winter is much less an annoyance.

I only have to go as far as the birdfeeders and the mailbox.

Just be sure to have a few days' extra supplies.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about "really really cold" or constant snow to shovel and drive in, but summers in Texas are long enough that by this time of year, I'm craving colder weather. A cold front is coming through later today which should finally get fall started here -- it should hit about 78 by noonish before a cold front drops us down to around 40 tonight, and we won't get much over 55 all weekend. Glorious!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
-- it should hit about 78 by noonish before a cold front drops us down to around 40 tonight, and we won't get much over 55 all weekend. Glorious!
It was 63 at 8pm last evening, and has been dropping slowly ever since.....currently 43. The snowman is supposed to start pooping later this afternoon.....1-3 inches.....and temps only down to about 31 over night. Not too bad......just glad I don't HAVE to get out in any of it! The snow should pretty much be melted away before I head out for coffee Friday morning.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking forward to my first winter of no w@#k. Won't be driving the 4400' pass to work or the 55 miles to Spokane unless I want to. I can run the snow plow during daylight and see where I'm going. Temp last night 18 with a high of 30 for today. The river in front of the house is starting to freeze.

Started putting out food for the deer and have half a dozen does and fawns showing up. Yesterday had three bucks pass through also.

We'd probably be going south after Christmas but due to MIL's health will have to pass this year. After she's gone we may become snowbirds but we'll see.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Or not.

That's the way it is here in Fort Collins today. After spending the last 25 years in Texas, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Of course, this is just the first taste of winter here so we'll see.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to despise the cold until I realized that it wasn't the cold I hated, it was spending 90%+ of my time indoors that I disliked.

My solution: Learn to snowboard. Now I can't wait until it snows.
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #16

my last year in the north it wasn't even cold enough for the lake to freeze (early sign of global warming?) and it wasn't but the previous year that i finally got the ice skates i'd longed for. got to use them just a few times before we moved to the tropics. my brother takes his kids skiiing for two or three weeks every year. this year they are headed to far north new york state but i haven't played in northern winter weather in 35 years. i'd rather bike to the beach all day.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

34 degrees with sleet/snow north of Kansas City - no deep fryed turkey in peanut oil out on the patio this year.

Nice and simple oven bag - Cajun Butter injection(Louisiana Seafood) and straightforward stuffing.

Supposed to stop for Turkey Day.

heh heh heh - no ice on the streets yet.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #18

Having lived in Alaska for almost 4 years - I got used to cool summers and pretty cold winters. Cold winters were as low as 80 below but most of the winters were pretty mild around Anchorage. Only when I had to go up to Fairbanks in the winter was it cold; like 50 to 55 below and constant, really constant wind. Ice fog was something I had never seen -- when the air is so dry the little bit of fog actually turns into ice. I count that time as the best 4 years of my life and I really enjoyed the weather up there. Of course the taxpayers were paying for the home and the utilities -- so I had a bit of an easy time of it financially. Retired and in central Ohio is a "piece of cake".
Old 11-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm not sure if I would call myself a winterphile but I am looking forward to living in SW Ohio after I retire (leaving San Diego) and getting four seasons again.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Temps are dropping and it looks like I should consider wearing long pants instead of shorts.