Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wisconsin Weather -why do I stay here
Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Milwaukee has more taverns per capita than any other metropolitan area in the USA!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm not sure how giving your spouse the impression that your career/job have a higher priority than her happiness/comfort qualifies as a "tremendous opportunity"...
I just graduated and I'm starting my career, so as you can imagine that's been uppermost in my mind lately. Hopefully, what you described is not the impression I give my wife because I love her dearly, more than any "ideal" job.

Right now we live on her income in a very high living cost area and her job has almost no opportunity for growth. I've received offers in the area but they do not come close to the potential of this opportunity in Milwaukee. If I accept the job we will march toward ER at a much faster pace. But if the journey is too painful to her, it is not worth it.

Thanks for the wake up call Nords.

&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasophia
I just graduated and I'm starting my career, so as you can imagine that's been uppermost in my mind lately. Hopefully, what you described is not the impression I give my wife because I love her dearly, more than any "ideal" job.
I interpreted your message differently from Nords. I understood that you have an important decision in front of you, location is a big piece of it, and writing off what might otherwise be a good (and financially wise) alternative on the basis of a misconception of a place is not wise.

Cities are funny. In the end, your happiness depends far more on the 2 or 4 or 6 friends you spend most of your time with, your family, and your attitude. Doesn't matter whether it's San Francisco, Milwaukee, or Tucson. Each offers plenty. Good luck wtih the decision and remember: nothing has to be forever. If the decision allows you to sock away some early money for FIRE compared to the other choices, that can be a factor.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
At least when I was there, Milwaukee's high crime areas were well known and fairly segregated. No better or worse than other American citites.

A few nice areas: Greenfield, Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, Fox Point, Glendale, Brookfield and many more. We never encountered crime there, but did read about it.
A bunch more.........PM me. I grew up here, and am back for the last 13 years. I can give you ideas on where to live, etc.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

"I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta know..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have family in Milwaukee and visit quite a bit and dont view crime as bad there...look up statistics per capita....I live in NW Wisconsin closer to Minneapolis/st. paul and the statistics are worse there....watching the news in the 2 areas, the twin cities seems like a war zone

The areas that Rich pointed out...also Mequon (higher end), Slinger, Germantown in the northern edge and to the south Franklin and Greenfield are nice...Aunt in West Allis, but I think that has gone down little bit....
Old 01-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
I have family in Milwaukee and visit quite a bit and dont view crime as bad there...look up statistics per capita....I live in NW Wisconsin closer to Minneapolis/st. paul and the statistics are worse there....watching the news in the 2 areas, the twin cities seems like a war zone

The areas that Rich pointed out...also Mequon (higher end), Slinger, Germantown in the northern edge and to the south Franklin and Greenfield are nice...Aunt in West Allis, but I think that has gone down little bit....
I disagree and so does this table as far as the murder rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

It ranks Milwaukee 12th in 2005 and Minneapolis and St. Paul Rank 30 and 46th respectively - I think you just get more Twin Cities news and Crime makes news.

I spend time in Milwaukee as I have in-laws there. The Twin Cities seem 'safer' to me.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
"I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta know..."
You are? Cool..........another native...........

Old 01-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
It ranks Milwaukee 12th in 2005 and Minneapolis and St. Paul Rank 30 and 46th respectively - I think you just get more Twin Cities news and Crime makes news.
I spend time in Milwaukee as I have in-laws there. The Twin Cities seem 'safer' to me.
So we're reduced to arguing which town kills its residents less/slower?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
You are? Cool..........another native...........
Only a former PBR drinker...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow... cheeseheads unite!

Every year I dislike the cold more and more, but today is was actually quite pretty with the snow we had. There's something nice about the seasons, I think. Getting Christmas cards from family in Arizona with pictures of Christmas lights strung up on their house surrounded by dirt and cactus is just not right.

As other WI natives know, the spring, summer and fall are all excellent, and the winter isn't as bad as a lot of people outside the state think. In my area of the state, we usually don't see snow until January and it starts to warm up by early March. The gorgeous lakes and hiking/biking trails in the northern 1/3 of the state are excellent. There's a LOT more to Wisconsin than beer and Packers!

Once I ER, I think I'll still live here, but will likely spend a couple weeks somewhere warm in February.

Last thought, there are many gorgeous areas with virtually zero crime. I enjoy bigger cities, but I'm not a fan of Milwaukee (I consider it more of an old suburb of Chicago). Check out areas like Door County, Wausau, Eau Claire, Appleton, Green Bay, etc. for a more balanced idea of what the state offers.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Only a former PBR drinker...
Better than Old Milwaukee, Fox Deluxe, or Colt .45..........

Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle

Problem with Franklin, Fox Point, and Whitefish Bay is that taxes would be DOUBLE what I am paying for a SMALLER HOUSE.........Milwaukee County IS NOT good for property taxes..........

Old 01-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
As other WI natives know, the spring, summer and fall are all excellent,
I'm not a Wisconsin native, but do live just south of the border in northern Illinois and spend a lot of time in Wisconsin........

Winter isn't the problem. Once things freeze up, and with a nice, dry snow cover, winter can be pretty pleasant. Especially for ER types who can be outdoors if and when they choose.

Spring is hell in Wisconsin. Endless weeks of gray, cold, damp wetness. Putting on my snowshoes and hiking a logging trail "upnort" in crisp, single digit temps is great. Sloshing that same trail in foggy, muddy, slippery, 40f conditions isn't so appealing!

It's pretty much the same here in northern Illinois. My favorite month to get out of town and head south is March!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Once things freeze up, and with a nice, dry snow cover, winter can be pretty pleasant.
I'm going to have to frame that quote on my wall for my Hawaii friends who tell me that they miss Mainland winters!

I don't think that 1960s-70s Pittsburgh ever had a "dry" winter...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514

If you think Wisconsin winters are OK, perhaps your brain is frozen from these #^*$&%^ cold temps and grey days...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514

Opps'''gray days, see my brain is frozen up here in Appleton and it appears to be affecting my typing ability....
Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Take up some knitting, or baking.

Indoor activity is good during winter--how about reading, watching DVD's, learning to play a musical instrument, organizing your possessions, meditating?

Outside your home, you could visit art galleries, go to coffeeshops or pubs, and catch some musical performances or other shows, or go dancing.

Maybe you have SAD; perhaps someone has already suggested a special light that might help.

Winter gives us a break from all the outdoor running-around of the warmer months. Best of all--no yardwork!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
Take up some knitting, or baking.

Indoor activity is good during winter--how about reading, watching DVD's, learning to play a musical instrument, organizing your possessions, meditating?

Outside your home, you could visit art galleries, go to coffeeshops or pubs, and catch some musical performances or other shows, or go dancing.

Maybe you have SAD; perhaps someone has already suggested a special light that might help.

Winter gives us a break from all the outdoor running-around of the warmer months. Best of all--no yardwork!!!
Well, the winters are good for ONE "indoor activity"...........which is why one of my kids was born in September...........

Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514
If you think Wisconsin winters are OK, perhaps your brain is frozen from these #^*$&%^ cold temps and grey days...
Shouldn't be frozen...... I always add plenty of antifreeze (alcohol based)!