Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wisconsin Weather -why do I stay here
Old 01-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Shouldn't be frozen...... I always add plenty of antifreeze (alcohol based)!
Crown Royal and Tanqueray are two old favorites........

Also, Wisconsinites hold the dubious distinction of being the number one brandy drinking state for the last 30 years or something..........time for a "highball", like Grandma used to drink............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Also, Wisconsinites hold the dubious distinction of being the number one brandy drinking state for the last 30 years or something..........
I've noticed that! Generally, when I think of stopping for a "bump and a beer," I'm thinking of a shot of whiskey and a short glass of draft beer. But when I'm "upnort," the bartender always reaches for the Christian Brothers bottle instead of the Jack Daniels!

But ya know...... "when in Rome..........." I can't say I've ever had a bad time in any of those rural Wisconsin taverns.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I am think a little warm apple juice with brandy would be fine about now.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Aberguten (or something close to that): a Wisconsin specialty -- brandy with a float of peppermint schnapps on the top. You sip the brandy through the schnapps.

I know it sounds pretty bad, but with good brandy and not overdoing it on the schnapps it's... well... different.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Aberguten (or something close to that): a Wisconsin specialty -- brandy with a float of peppermint schnapps on the top. You sip the brandy through the schnapps.

I know it sounds pretty bad, but with good brandy and not overdoing it on the schnapps it's... well... different.
Interesting Rich....... Doesn't sound bad at all!

I'm familar with a similar drink called a "snowshoe." It's just a shot of VO with a little peppermint schnapps on top. But no sipping. It's taken straight down.

All this Wisconsin winter weather and booze talk has me thinking of a little joint west of Crivitz on cty road W we used to stop at years ago after spending some hours out in the snowy woods...........(Nicolet National
Forest). They were still using a wood stove for heat and draft beer was 25 cents a glass. There was a friendly bartender named Lori....... Lots of fun in the winter time if you don't mind a little ice in your beard!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Interesting Rich....... Doesn't sound bad at all!

I'm familar with a similar drink called a "snowshoe." It's just a shot of VO with a little peppermint schnapps on top. But no sipping. It's taken straight down.
Used to make those ALL the time when I managed a bar in La Crosse.......

Quote:
All this Wisconsin winter weather and booze talk has me thinking of a little joint west of Crivitz on cty road W we used to stop at years ago after spending some hours out in the snowy woods...........(Nicolet National
Forest). They were still using a wood stove for heat and draft beer was 25 cents a glass. There was a friendly bartender named Lori....... Lots of fun in the winter time if you don't mind a little ice in your beard!
I'VE BEEN TO THAT PLACE............can't remember the name............too many lost barin cells!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514
Have stayed in Az,Fla,SC,Al,Ky...Have found Az to be the best...Plan on being a snowbird starting in 2008 if all goes well...see ya at the golf
course....this is all assuming my brain thaws out after this winter here
in Wisconsin...Rock on... 8)

Have visited and researched northern AL....what were your impressions...good and bad? Plan is to retire somewhere with all the seasons BUT NO SNOW...and a decent cost of living. The downside of WI is the high taxes. Guess it is 4th or 5th in the country now.

3 more years and it looks like AL will be home unless we can be persuaded otherwise!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514

Checked the temp. outside, a balmy -14 degrees ..that should be enough push to get everyone to move out of Wisconsin. You have to have a screw loose to live here...
Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514
Checked the temp. outside, a balmy -14 degrees ..that should be enough push to get everyone to move out of Wisconsin. You have to have a screw loose to live here...
Just wait a few years. Global warming is going to be good for you guys up there.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Just wait a few years. Global warming is going to be good for you guys up there.
It's SEVEN degrees outside right now and the radios are all talking about a windchill frostbite advisory in effect. That's something I haven't heard of since the winter of 1981 (Norway, 150 miles above the Arctic Circle and 5800 feet above sea level). I don't see a whole lot of evidence of global warming right now.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
I don't see a whole lot of evidence of global warming right now.
Then you haven't been paying attention.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Cut-Throat's right. We are having a warm winter up here in Calgary. It only got down to -35 C this winter and the Bow didn't quite freeze over. Yet.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Only at select elevations!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Then you haven't been paying attention.
I am not convinced. I've read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". And as usual he does a marvelous job of citing sources. And as he indicates, our oh-so-liberal media can do a marvelous job of misleading entire societies and putting whatever slant they believe is best for their bottom lines on pretty much any story.

The problem is there are just as many scientists who will tell you that global warming is not happening as there are who claim it is. And if you examine the historical evidence you will see that the Earth has been in a warming trend for pretty much the last ten thousand years, long before Man could have had any significant impact. (With the exception of the "Mini Ice Age" that only lasted from the 14th to the 18th century. The book by that name is fascinating reading.)

I tend to believe this warming is part of the long-term natural flux of the Earth's environment. It will continue long past our life times, and maybe past the decline of our civilizations. Then it's going to start cooling again, but I'm not sure mankind will even be around to see that. We are a fairly self-destructive lot, as a whole.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #75

Quote:

The problem is there are just as many scientists who will tell you that global warming is not happening as there are who claim it is.
Absolutely untrue! - There are a handful of crackpot scientists that believe as you say. The fact is that well over 95% of the world's scientists believe in Global warming, that man has caused it and it will have severe repercussions for the world.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #76

Quote:
The problem is there are just as many scientists who will tell you that global warming is not happening as there are who claim it is.
Would those be the same scientists that argued that smoking doesn't cause cancer either? Amazing what you can beleive when your paycheck counts on it...

Global warming is a fact...even those few scientists are arguing about is whether or not it is man-made. Average temps are rising, as are the seas - what we can do about it, is up for debate.

Arguing that there is no Global warming is like arguing there is no cancer because you don't believe cigarettes are to blame.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just in case my previous post wasn't clear, I was joking about global warming helping anyone. CT is absolutely correct. The legitimate scientific community recognizes that global warming is real. OldMcD's comparison to the tobacco industry is on target. Decades after legitimate scientists understood that smoking caused cancer the tobacco industry was still able to produce paid-for pseudo-science studies that indicated there was some question. Now we have poluting industries, the politicians and academics they've funded, and FOX news pretending that there are still questions about global warming.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I think there IS global warming, and it's helping to accelerate us into a "mini Ice Age" like we had from about 1300-1700 AD. The huge increase in the volcanic activity under the ocean, polar ice caps melting, swings in the temp of the ocean's currents.........a lot of this points to an Ice Age of some consequence.

According to geological history, the Earth has a true Ice Age every 12000 years, and it's been over 12000 years since the last one, so

Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, the only thing I've heard that's legitimate wrt global warming = ice age is if we turn off the atlantic current motor due to desalinisation of the gulf stream with Greenlad melt. Basically, that stream helps keep Europe warmer and if turned off it could experience a mini-ice age. But recent readings on that current indicate they have no evidence of it slowing down, so that's not a worry-yet.

Also, last ice age ended about 10k years ago, and the gap between has been moving from every 40k years to 100k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Huh, I thought the recent readings on the gulf stream and the north atlantic drift showed some slowing in recent times.

The predictor I saw said such a reversal could lead to 20-50 degree downward swings in average temperatures in the northeast US and europe.

Plus theres this huge potential tsunami that could happen at any moment and wipe out the eastern seaboard http://www.rense.com/general56/tsu.htm

Any wonder why I moved to the west coast?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote