Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wish I would have started investing in my 20's than my 30's..........hoping I can retire at 55, although it may be 57 or 58..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had always thought (although seldom) that I would leave megapharma at 55 - when I was vested in the co. medical bennies. I really loved my job for most of my carreer esp. as a rep. Regional management was fun for several years but the travel, politics and heaping of more responsiblity w/o compensation or even a "nod" stated burning me out. Then new management started mandatory conference calls several time per week that were incredibly inane and self serving along with weekend meetings. I was becoming miserable - but still planned the 55 plan. I found this forum - crunched numbers - used FIRECAL and.....holy crap -- I had enough!! I bailed at 49 and could not be happier - so actually I retired earlier than I thought would be possible..... I love this place!

Now if I had found this site 3 years sooner..........nah, not going there :>)

Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I am quickly closing in on my last day of w*ork. I'm 52 and will ER 1/4/08. As a matter of fact, I turned in my notice at work just a few days ago and was surprised by the shocked reaction of many of my collegues.

I'm in the phase right now of trying to adjust to the idea of not being employed. After all, I have been w*orking for over 34 years. It's kind of like an identity crisis. Back to the point of this thread, yes, I would like to have been able to pull the plug earlier. In may case, however, I think that would not have been possible since my husband and I didn't receive any kind of windfall and instead saved slow and steady for many years to get to this point in our lives.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

I'm in the phase right now of trying to adjust to the idea of not being employed. After all, I have been w*orking for over 34 years. It's kind of like an identity crisis.

I had worked 39 years when I retired .I did go thru or I should say I slept thru an adjustment period and then I woke up raring to go !
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #25

Never considered ER...

When I left the military in '71 (went in '67) my first "real job" lasted 7 years, until the company was bought out. At that time, there were no IRA's nor 401K's. The company did have a retirement income plan (age 65), but since the federal law at that time for defined benefit plans was 10 years with the company for any benefit, I received no benefit since I left before the 10 year window was up.

The next company I went with (in '79) also did not have a 401k, but did have a defined benefit plan, also at age 65 (reduced with age/service at "85 points"). I started my IRA when they became available in '82 (my wife, in '83). Both my wife/me enrolled in our respective 401k's in the late '80's, when they were offered. At that time, the defined benefit plan was dropped (start over, again!)

At the time I had both the 401k and IRA started, I was in my mid 30's, with no intention of retiring till age 65, which was the then current full SS retirement age (now, for me it is 66).

Through a LBYM lifestyle, along with increasing our contributions to our respective plans (up to 33% of our combined gross income since 2000), and a very good period in the market resulted in my retiring this year at age 59. My wife will be joining me next year, at age 60, but she is yet not "ready", since she too always planned on "normal retirement age", whatever that is!

Being that we retired sooner than we expected, we're still ahead of the game. Could I have gone earlier? Yes. Was I "ready"? Don't think so. This year turned out to be "just right", and I know I made the right decision...

- Ron
Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I am quickly closing in on my last day of w*ork. I'm 52 and will ER 1/4/08. As a matter of fact, I turned in my notice at work just a few days ago and was surprised by the shocked reaction of many of my collegues.

I'm in the phase right now of trying to adjust to the idea of not being employed. After all, I have been w*orking for over 34 years. It's kind of like an identity crisis. Back to the point of this thread, yes, I would like to have been able to pull the plug earlier. In may case, however, I think that would not have been possible since my husband and I didn't receive any kind of windfall and instead saved slow and steady for many years to get to this point in our lives.
Congratulations, Puron! January 4th is going to come very fast for you. Enjoy your new found freedom.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #27

I wanted to retire at 40, two years ago, but couldn't get the wife on the same page. We just bought a newer house that she wanted, so I'm hoping I can talk her into it now but with some changes.

I've always wanted to sell the business and move us to some exotic local, but she is more interested in staying in Texas and getting the kids educated, and I gusss I really can't argue with that. The kids have 7 and 9 more years of school before they go off to college, so I guess I can wait on our exotic locale and just ER now and be the yard man or whatever at the new house. She's cool with taking trips with the kids when they are on summer break for a couple of months out of the year, so I guess we can test different places to move to eventually that way.

I just signed with a broker to help sell the business, so hopefully I'll be out of a job in 6 months to a year!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still have some years to go, but I'm pretty strongly identifying with the comments where new management adds responsibility and hassle to j*bs but no compensation changes. Makes me sure I will want to retire earlier, as soon as it's possible to do so.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #29

If not for this board I might still be at work! I was planning to quit at age 56. But the same old story... Change in management, increasing caseload, decrease in experienced attorneys and more micromanaging tactics etc. Glad I took the leap. Do I wish I would have done it sooner? Don't know...
Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #30

If I find when I FIRE that I don't need to have as much for living/playing expenses as I think I need (18-24 mos from now), then I will wish I had picked the handcuffs and gone earlier. BUT, like work expanding to fill the time alloted to do it, expenses are likely to expand to use up the money alloted to them...(;

R
Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
BUT, like work expanding to fill the time alloted to do it, expenses are likely to expand to use up the money alloted to them...(;

R

Just like junk expands to fill all available storage space
Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
expenses are likely to expand to use up the money alloted to them...(;
I hope so. I do wonder if I'll get stuck in my present LBYM mode, even after ER when (according to plan) I will have more to spend and can let go a little more.

I would ER right now except that I am waiting for my lifetime medical.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I hope so. I do wonder if I'll get stuck in my present LBYM mode, even after ER when (according to plan) I will have more to spend and can let go a little more.

I would ER right now except that I am waiting for my lifetime medical.
I find it takes some effort to not spend less.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Want2Retire must work for the feds or gov...me 2....waiting for lifetime medical. Game plan is 2-3 year tops.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #35

Latest date would be 6.5 years from now at 50, earliest date would be 1.5 years from now at 45 - mid-term would be 47. In two years, we believe I could retire with him working only for a few more years - or if something drastic happened, we'd be OK. 4 more years at the least for him, possibly 8 more. We will be fine with medical and a pension with staggered pensions, after-tax and tax deferred options ove rthe years for income. We are very fortunate.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
Want2Retire must work for the feds or gov...me 2....waiting for lifetime medical. Game plan is 2-3 year tops.
You're right! 697 days left before I qualify, and counting down every day.

I wish I could quit now, but maybe, in one sense I am lucky. I have the promise of lifetime medical to force me to work longer and accumulate more than I really think I need. You never know what the future will bring, so maybe someday I'll be glad that I saved more during these last two years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #37

Lets see, 82 days to go for me. I had lightly thought about retiring at 55 most of my career. Technically I could have but there were a few lose ends. DW retired last year and loves it and youngest son just started college (a state school, Yes!) So it looks like going out 03/03/2008 at 57.5 for me. Not bad. I still like my job, I used to love it. But the future is looking bleak so I do not want to be here 12-18 months from now.
I also wanted to avoid retiring into a recession but if I have enough then its time to go regardless of the market.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Lets see, 82 days to go for me. I had lightly thought about retiring at 55 most of my career. Technically I could have but there were a few lose ends. DW retired last year and loves it and youngest son just started college (a state school, Yes!) So it looks like going out 03/03/2008 at 57.5 for me. Not bad. I still like my job, I used to love it. But the future is looking bleak so I do not want to be here 12-18 months from now.
I also wanted to avoid retiring into a recession but if I have enough then its time to go regardless of the market.
Congratulations! It won't be long now.

I agree that if you have enough, then it's time to go regardless of the market. Personally I don' t think it's possible to figure out whether or not a given retirement date will mean retiring into a recession (my crystal ball is broken). Given that, I am dealing with that possibility by just assuming that I will retire into a recession. If there is no recession, well, then great! I'll have that much more to live on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Just about there
Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Just about there

Hello Group, I will be retiring on January 31, 2008, after almost 30 years with the City, all within the same Dept. My problem is what will I do with so much free time. I will only be 56 then and my mine is still active. I really enjoy my job but the new management doesn't respect my knowledge and experience and it's not fun working there anymore. My co-worker depend on me a lot to solve problems and lot's of them are betting that i'm not going to leave. They going to lose that bet, i signed the retirement papers last week and i'm good as gone. I could have retired 7 yrs ago but i'm glad i stayed as they changed the retirement plans and i been able to build up a comfortable retirement fund since that time. Money will be no problems, I just need to fine things to do to keep me busy. I enjoy reading the threads on this forum.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #40

Congratulations TROYRAY on your retirement. I'm sure you'll find a lot of good ideas on what to do with your free time on this forum.