Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yesterday at sundown, DW and I were sitting out beside the motor home in a state park, enjoying the sunset. The weather was beautiful, the strong winds from earlier in the day had disappeared and given way to total silence. We began to hear a whooshing sound coming from behind the motor home, growing steadily louder. We looked up to see a large flock of geese flying directly above in V formation, less than 50 feet overhead. I've heard them honking as they fly far above, but never been close enough to hear the sound of their wings slicing through the air. A really remarkable experience...
If I had been there, that remarkable experience would have been interrupted with me cleaning bird poop off my head.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How wonderful it will be to wake up every morning to that beautiful view of the water! Lucky you.

I have a view of the mountains but I really don't appreciate it very much unless it is snowing, or just afterwards when the sun comes out in the blue sky over the snowy peaks. This is the only time I love snow.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
If I had been there, that remarkable experience would have been interrupted with me cleaning bird poop off my head.
Small price to pay for such a unique experience!

Once stopped along a road and watched hundreds of geese gaining altitude after leaving their overnight stop at a huge wetland. From my vantage point, I could watch the birds "levitate" (sort of like seeing a telephoto view of aircraft coming at you.) I watched as the birds jockeyed for their "assigned" positions in the many V's being formed as I watched. Seemed almost a spiritual experience.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #24

Sounds lovely. Nothing quite as nice as nature!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Nice post Ha. Life's simple pleasures are the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
There is something about looking at a beautiful, natural view that is good for the soul. Somehow brings things into perspective. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just a reminder of how some free, simple pleasures can really enrich life beyond the relentless pursuit of "stuff." Very cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... now I have a beautiful view of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains! Ha
I am about to give up my pipe dream of a house on the east shore of Bainbridge Island. The view of the Seattle skyline is of course free, but the lot would break the bank. Can't have the "free" pleasure without the expensive "stuff".

I should be content with the view of the National Forest from my 2nd home in the boonies, but there is absolutely no water in sight. If I have the choice, I would take the water over the mountain.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am very lucky to have this little lake only 3 miles away...I keep my boat here on a slip. I spend a lot of time here in the nice weather. The second pic is our own "baby Niagara Falls" spillover across the dam in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7040013.jpg (401.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 023_23.JPG (599.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

I've lived on the water for almost eight years. I'm now ready to move inland . I've enjoyed living on the water but the insurance costs and the worry during hurricane season have made me ready to move . Plus I'd like to downsize . Here is a picture of the view from my deck .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5015.jpg (28.9 KB, 9 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #28

Wow, that's sweet Moemg!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've lived on the water for almost eight years. I'm now ready to move inland . I've enjoyed living on the water but the insurance costs and the worry during hurricane season have made me ready to move . Plus I'd like to downsize . Here is a picture of the view from my deck .
I'm blown away. No pun intended.

-CC
Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hard place to leave. It looks almost like you would have to travel to Tahiti or something to get a spot like that.

Ha
Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

WOW. That sounds NNNice!

tmm
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wanna swap houses? It only snows a little bit here.

What a gorgeous view you have.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Beautiful! It would be very hard for me to leave such a gorgeous place by the sea. But I would wonder if insurance costs will go up in the future, and I can understand the worry during hurricane season.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks everybody , My view is great but it comes with a price that I'm not sure I want to pay anymore . Luckily I bought this house before the market went nuts so even with the real estate melt down I' m still ahead . I bought the house in 2001 from a christian singer who thought she was the next Reba . It came with a black room ( the recording studio ) , a leopard print bathroom that took days to strip the wall paper , the worst vinyl flooring& counters in the world , tie dyed curtains but an incredible view , two lots on Sarasota Bay and a great price .I'd like to eventually sell it and move inland . I'll miss the view but not the insurance premiums .
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #35

I cant believe you took down the leopard print wall paper.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I cant believe you took down the leopard print wall paper.
It was leopard print on the bottom and the top was foil wall paper that the owner had made from aluminum foil cut up and glued like a collage . That paper took me forever to strip .I usually can not look beyond tacky decoration but this time I did .
Old 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Welll - with 26 yrs in the old PacNW and 25 yrs over Lake Ponchartrain with the Sun setting at the end of our pier - I'll take Kansas City, Missouri side, on a hill, high above the wide Missouri, in the wonderful suburbs with slushy old snow on the ground.

I have a Passport, or SUV, and am underspending the travel budget so far(New Orleans, south of Chattanooga) this year - should the itch strike.

Spring is near - had some bird poop on the windshield before the snow hit and a few tubby Robins in the yard the last few days.

heh heh heh -

I seem to appreciate the views I travel to see - rather than the ones at hand/thus taken for granted.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've lived on the water for almost eight years. I'm now ready to move inland . I've enjoyed living on the water but the insurance costs and the worry during hurricane season have made me ready to move . Plus I'd like to downsize .
Well, you can always build a cabin on your own private pond. Wildlife plentiful there in FL.